is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    12:46 AM

don't know what to think

The other day i was in an Aldi store and near the checkouts i read a hoody that an older man was wearing. Down the arms read, "infidel" and on the back was " ISIS Hunting Team, Royal Australian Infidel". At first i thought, how come he hasnt been arrested yet for incitement. Then i thought, well its not against muslims persay. Then i just felt uncomfortable....... maybe its the "royal australian"bit..... i dont know. Just felt very uncomfortable.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time
    01:46 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: don't know what to think

So you should have. Anyone seeing that in public should take a photo on their smartphone and email the picture to the police. Were it me I'd add I felt intimidated by the implied threat.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

I didnt feel intimidated. What implied threat? Why would the police be involved?

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time

It appears to be a chap claiming to be a member of ISIS and that he hunts on behalf of ISIS, and that he has actively rejected the Christian religion to become an infidel.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time
    08:46 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    It appears to be a chap claiming to be a member of ISIS and that he hunts on behalf of ISIS, and that he has actively rejected the Christian religion to become an infidel.
    It seemed to me that he was claiming to be on a team that hunted ISIS members. Not on a hunting club that is sponsored by ISIS.
    So, I would only expect Muslims to feel intimidated.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time

If the words are ambiguous I'd play safe in my interpretation. I can't see why one can be preferred to the other on simply linguistic grounds.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    If the words are ambiguous I'd play safe in my interpretation. I can't see why one can be preferred to the other on simply linguistic grounds.
    I believe the primary clue is the "Infidel" on the arms. Most Christians do not use that term for one who does not follow the faith. It is principally used by Radical Muslims to describe Christians and Jews, these days.
    But of course, you know that, already.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I believe the primary clue is the "Infidel" on the arms. Most Christians do not use that term for one who does not follow the faith. It is principally used by Radical Muslims to describe Christians and Jews, these days.
    But of course, you know that, already.
    You imbalance your argument. You use "most" on the left, and "radical" on the right to indicate an extremist minority.

There are undoubtedly some Christians who still refer to disbelievers as Infidels, just as there are some extremists in other religions who have adopted the word when using English. It's a perfectly good word in present English usage, I'd be sad to see it made non-PC in popular use.
    3 [OED, after two obscure and historical definitions]. A disbeliever in religion or divine revelation generally; especially one in a Christian land who professedly rejects or denies the divine origin and authority of Christianity; a professed unbeliever. Usually a term of opprobrium.
    The current definitive sermons on Methodist Doctrine in the UK, written by John Wesley, still uses "Infidel" in that sense. I'm an infidel. Then there's gentiles, heathens, pagans - all technical terms with specific aspects around a similar theme.

Most Muslims and Jews don't use these words word at all - they'd use a word from Arabic or Hebrew if they wanted to refer to someone of another nation or religion. Practically any word labeling an outsider in any language can be regarded as an aggressive insult, I'd have thought.

Most Christians don't use the term "Infidel" because most Christians don't discuss disbelief in divine revelation. Some do.

However, accepting and exulting in the label your victim would ignorantly use about you, as a provocation and a boast, seems feasible. A member of ISIS trying to intimidate English-speaking non-Muslim victims might well have "Infidel" written on his hoodie in order to scare people.

I would qualify this, if I may. Most members of ISIS have only rarely seen a Christian, much less intimidated one. Most members of ISIS intimidate and kill other Muslims in countries which are constitutionally Islamic. Practically all of the victims of ISIS have been Muslim, with the occasional minority fringe-Christian second-class citizens who haven't run for the hills fast enough.

Inviting spectacular martyrdom at the hands of non-Muslims is a tactic offered to ISIS volunteers who are surrounded by non-Muslims. It might seem a major aspect to Westerners but its sole purpose is to ignite and sustain a hatred of Muslims across Western society. The desired reaction, anti-Muslim popular sentiment, then makes more Muslims extreme in their Islamic belief, completing a vicious circle, but it's only a side-show. The reason ISIS exists, from the standpoint of extremist Sunni Islam, is to make more Muslims in Islamic countries extreme in their Sunni Islamic belief and to persecute everyone within the Caliphate who won't enthusiastically fall into line.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time

Well, I certainly cannot argue with your logic, there. All you say is true, within the context of your statements.
    On the other hand, I hold to my assertion, based upon my personal observations within my own region where similar shirt and pull-over hoodies have been produced for the entertainment of radical right-leaning gun-toters who wear such things to bait the local "Libruls" and assorted Muslim adherents in the neighborhood.
    I naturally presumed such a mindset probably exists Down Under, as well, and Fuzzy has encountered one of the local adherents to the philosophy.

Perhaps, next time she sees such a fellow, she might inquire as to his political and religious leanings.
    - Anonymous

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Ummmm....i ask the woman he was with (when she was putting her trolley back) if the mans jacket was a joke jacket. She said no. I asked if it was some kind of club. (Bikies have some interestingjackets when not wearing colours) She said no......he used to be in the army.

It was definately directed toward hunting down ISIS members.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast