Make these ads go away.

View Poll Results: Is Communist/Marxist/Socialist Ideology Taking Over America?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES-IT'S A GOOD THING

    0 0%
  • YES-IT'S A BAD THING

    2 50.00%
  • NO-BUT IT WOULD BE GOOD IF IT DID

    2 50.00%
  • NO-I AM GLAD IT HASN'T

    0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,116
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    06:45 PM
    Points
    22,348
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Most successful capitalists nations have a lot of Socialism in their structure.
    Communism has never been successful on a large scale.
    Even the Soviet Union was never a Communist nation.

    And unregulated Capitalism has almost always ended poorly.
    Funnily enough one of the most prosperous of the Indian states has a democratically elected communist government and does very well by it.

    The bugbear communist countries are nowhere near being communist, they're totalitarian dictatorships.

  2. #22
    Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    9,232
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    11:45 AM
    Points
    34,943
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Funnily enough one of the most prosperous of the Indian states has a democratically elected communist government and does very well by it.

    The bugbear communist countries are nowhere near being communist, they're totalitarian dictatorships.
    true. They often claimed to be Communists, but never showed much evidence of actually being so. Of course many also claim to be democratic, as well. but seldom show any evidence of that being the case, either.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,116
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    06:45 PM
    Points
    22,348
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    true. They often claimed to be Communists, but never showed much evidence of actually being so. Of course many also claim to be democratic, as well. but seldom show any evidence of that being the case, either.
    Nice one Lars :-)

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    624
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    12:45 PM
    Points
    2,394

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Another thing that comes to mind - I probably should have mentioned it earlier - is that there is quite a history of communism here in the USA, mostly church-affiliated.

    The Mennonites, also known as Anabaptists, have, as far as I know, been communal from day one. A man I worked with several years ago belonged with his wife and kids to a Mennonite commune.

    Other earlier examples are the Amana colonies in Iowa and the Bishop Hill settlement in Illinois. Both communist, both Christian, both loyal to God and to America.

    I can't help remembering an episode of "All in the Family" (the Brit counterpart, I believe, is or was called "Til Death Us Do Part"), Mike mentions that a friend of his has just joined a farming commune, and Archie replies, "People what lives in communes is Comm-un-ists!"

    Poster baggins might have seen that episode.
    Last edited by Mark Aspam; 07-18-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling error

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,116
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    06:45 PM
    Points
    22,348
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aspam View Post
    Another thing that comes to mind - I probably should have mentioned it earlier - is that there is quite a history of communism here in the USA, mostly church-affiliated.

    The Mennonites, also known as Anabaptists, have, as far as I know, been communal from page one. I man I worked with several years ago belonged with his wife and kids to a Mennonite commune.

    Other earlier examples are the Amana colonies in Iowa and the Bishop Hill settlement in Illinois. Both communist, both Christian, both loyal to God and to America.

    I can't help remembering an episode of "All in the Family" (the Brit counterpart, I believe, is or was called "Til Death Us Do Part"), Mike mentions that a friend of his has just joined a farming commune, and Archie replies, "People what lives in communes is Comm-un-ists!"

    Poster baggins might have seen that episode.
    As indeed were the kibbutzim in Israel

  6. #26
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,884
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    06:45 PM
    Points
    26,138
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    If you go back to the roots of capitalism (adam smith the wealth of nations) you will see he advocated things that are recogniseably socialist - like universal healthcare, free universal primary education for all (he was scots at that time the literacy rate was over 90% thanks to free compulsry primary education) and ready access to further education all of which were too important to the common good to be left in the tender mercies of the marketplace. He also laid out a very good case for being workers a decent wage so that they had enouigh disposable income to spent thus generating further demand and stimulating the economy.

    Right wing economics don't work and make very little sense. Milton Friedman was an idiot.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    749
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    01:45 PM
    Points
    2,736

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Most successful capitalists nations have a lot of Socialism in their structure.
    Communism has never been successful on a large scale.
    Even the Soviet Union was never a Communist nation.

    And unregulated Capitalism has almost always ended poorly.
    The Socialism has crept in AFTER the economic giant was formed. As they become more and more Socialistic, the economic situation worsens. The Soviet Union was Socialist/Communist, yes. Give an example of your point that "unregulated Capitalism almost always ends poorly"

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     
    FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    5,749
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    06:45 PM
    Points
    26,606
    Gifts Beer Cake

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Actually, the tenet of Socialism has always led to better conditions throughout history. Capitalism just leads to the rich getting richer & the poor getting poorer until it reaches the level when those poor say "Enough is Enough", and revolutions are born. Capitalist Right Wing Regimes are overthrown & replaced by Socialist ones, thus levelling the wealth / power gaps. France overthrew Royalty. America overthrew British rule, and for a while was doing pretty much ok. However, now things are starting to revert to the previous states of the wealthiest few being in possession of 90% of the wealth. As the gap grows wider, the bubble of revolution gets closer to its bursting point. In the UK the sudden rise of Corbyn has proved that, whilt the Tories have to resort to bribery to cling to power.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    749
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    01:45 PM
    Points
    2,736

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Actually, the tenet of Socialism has always led to better conditions throughout history. Capitalism just leads to the rich getting richer & the poor getting poorer until it reaches the level when those poor say "Enough is Enough", and revolutions are born. Capitalist Right Wing Regimes are overthrown & replaced by Socialist ones, thus levelling the wealth / power gaps. France overthrew Royalty. America overthrew British rule, and for a while was doing pretty much ok. However, now things are starting to revert to the previous states of the wealthiest few being in possession of 90% of the wealth. As the gap grows wider, the bubble of revolution gets closer to its bursting point. In the UK the sudden rise of Corbyn has proved that, whilt the Tories have to resort to bribery to cling to power.
    This is complete bull. Socialism always leads to worse conditions throughout history. Unless you consider, The USSR, Nazi Germany, Red China, North Korea and others great places to live. Look at Venezuela, it turned Socialist a few years ago and now it's a miserable hell. Capitalism leads to everyone getting richer. The poor get richer. The middle class get richer and the rich get richer. Your types are so upset about the rich getting richer that you are willing to sacrifice it all just to prevent that fact. Why not make life better for everyone? Capitalism built all of the economic giants of the world. ALL of them. Socialism drains wealth and makes everyone equal...equally poor that is. I don't want to be like France. America is the economic leader of the world. Instead of trying to make America more like the European Economies, which are inferior, maybe Europe should be trying to be more like us. The reason why the economy has been stumbling in America is because of Socialistic ideology creeping more and more into it's Government. We need to get back to what really works...Capitalism. Not to mention all of the loss of freedom lost in Socialist societies. Loss of freedom of Religion for one. Rationing health care and other goods. You must not know about the Soviet Union, China, North Korea and all of the other Socialist nightmares.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,116
    Local Date
    08-21-2017
    Local Time
    06:45 PM
    Points
    22,348
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: We Were Warned in 1963: Has Communist Ideology Overtaken America?

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
    This is complete bull. Socialism always leads to worse conditions throughout history. Unless you consider, The USSR, Nazi Germany, Red China, North Korea and others great places to live. Look at Venezuela, it turned Socialist a few years ago and now it's a miserable hell. Capitalism leads to everyone getting richer. The poor get richer. The middle class get richer and the rich get richer. Your types are so upset about the rich getting richer that you are willing to sacrifice it all just to prevent that fact. Why not make life better for everyone? Capitalism built all of the economic giants of the world. ALL of them. Socialism drains wealth and makes everyone equal...equally poor that is. I don't want to be like France. America is the economic leader of the world. Instead of trying to make America more like the European Economies, which are inferior, maybe Europe should be trying to be more like us. The reason why the economy has been stumbling in America is because of Socialistic ideology creeping more and more into it's Government. We need to get back to what really works...Capitalism. Not to mention all of the loss of freedom lost in Socialist societies. Loss of freedom of Religion for one. Rationing health care and other goods. You must not know about the Soviet Union, China, North Korea and all of the other Socialist nightmares.
    Just to point out a slight flaw in your argument, Nazi Germany was Fascist and the USSR, China and North Korea claim to be Communist but are actually Totalitarian Dictatorships - none of them are, were, or claim(ed) to be Socialist.

    The UK under a Labour government is Socialist, none of your examples are anything like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2