Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:57 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: The "brain change" game

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    And i suppose technology didnt begin with steam....what about what the romans did for us?
    What about the invention of the clock? You know the saying "watching your life tick away? What did we watch before then? Were we astute at reading nature ? Shadows?
    Oh, no. Technology probably began when the first humans figured out how to make fire on demand. Then they had to figure out how to control it.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

See now that's interesting.... I never use GPS. My brain still remembers a map after looking at it. This has been a deliberate decision on my part after witnessing a relative completely lost after the GPS went down. I remember sitting in the car looking at them thinking 'you're kidding right? you just saw the map and the directions and now you're completely lost?'
    I like having a GPS, sometimes. It makes getting through cities a lot easier. I can spend more time minding traffic and the clowns in other cars instead of looking at highway signs to catch the next turn.
    One of my favorite things when I am in new areas is to go out exploring, and finding my way around. eventually, when time to turn around and head back to the hotel, I can turn on the GPS to re-orient myself to find my way back.

But basically, I have a good sense of direction almost never need the thing. With one exception: We were in Portland Maine for a couple of weeks for work, and daughter lives out west of there in the boonies. with all the twists and turns and such, I found it much easier to accurately find my way around with the GPS tracking our route. without it, I invariably made a wrong turn, and could be miles out of the way before realizing the error.

I know people who cannot find there way anywhere without a GPS.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    05:57 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I like having a GPS, sometimes. It makes getting through cities a lot easier. I can spend more time minding traffic and the clowns in other cars instead of looking at highway signs to catch the next turn.
    One of my favorite things when I am in new areas is to go out exploring, and finding my way around. eventually, when time to turn around and head back to the hotel, I can turn on the GPS to re-orient myself to find my way back.

But basically, I have a good sense of direction almost never need the thing. With one exception: We were in Portland Maine for a couple of weeks for work, and daughter lives out west of there in the boonies. with all the twists and turns and such, I found it much easier to accurately find my way around with the GPS tracking our route. without it, I invariably made a wrong turn, and could be miles out of the way before realizing the error.

One of the things about GPS that I really like is knowing in advance whether I have to make a left turn or right turn to get onto the highway ahead. It has saved me from a lot of turning around when I miss it in traffic. I like to wander and explore, but for those times that I'm trying to find something or see where it I am relation to it, it comes in very handy.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    05:57 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Oh, no. Technology probably began when the first humans figured out how to make fire on demand. Then they had to figure out how to control it.
    I'm sure our bodies went through some changes when they figured out how to cook with the fire. In time, the diets of our ancestors changed rather significantly because of it.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:57 PM

What about the gramaphone? Before that time people went out to music halls and theatres to listen to music.
    People had pianos and other instruments in their homes. In my mothers lifetime 4 in 5 homes had a piano. These days its an oddity and youll rarely find a family member who can play it.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

Spent two weeks in Maine back in the 90's

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

What about the gramaphone? Before that time people went out to music halls and theatres to listen to music.
    People had pianos and other instruments in their homes. In my mothers lifetime 4 in 5 homes had a piano. These days its an oddity and youll rarely find a family member who can play it.
    Before gramophone, where my mother's family lived, people just gathered on someone's porch and started playing whatever instruments they brought along.
    Actually, around there, they still do.
    - Anonymous

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

Thats nice

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Thats nice
    When I told my one grandson about it, his question was "Why would they do that when they can download all the music out there?"
    He is one of "Them"
    - Anonymous

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Theyre breeding you know

+ Reply to Thread