is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:59 PM

The "brain change" game

We'er told by scientists that the technology we use now is changing our brains, especially in children.
    But is this a bad thing? Will it even be a problem for humans born into todays world? Will it make a difference?
    Everyone on this forum was born in the time of the telephone. That technology is normal to us. The phone rings and we automatically answer it....unless we make a thought out decision not to.
    When the first telephone exchanges were rolled out, the warning was that it would change our behaviour as humans. People would not physically connect to relatives and friends. People would ignore person in the same room as we connect with another who arent present. The list goes on in relation to how it would change society, and not in a good way.

So is new technology changing us again? And is it really a bad thing? Has it taken away fundamental human traits? Connections? The very thing that makes us human?

I can think of many other technologies like vehicles, microwaves....etc etc.

Just as a side note...did you know that if you dug up a human buried before 1945 they will be free of radiation in their bones. After that date every human being has radioative particled within their marrow. And thats apparently not a bad thing.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:59 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: The "brain change" game

It makes sense: Evolution is a reaction to a changing environment and modern high technology has changed our environment in big ways and small for what? A century or so now? (Depending on how we define modern hi-tech)

Social effects can vary: How did the vacuum cleaner or the washing machine change things? The game console? I imagine the wheel changed the way brains worked, but can't prove it. It's possible all these things add up to more time for the brain to think and each little gain encourages future gain. Of course, any of these gains can be used or misused. Most of us misuse them - I waste enormous amounts of time that could be more productively used. But somewhere someone has that Eureka moment they otherwise wouldn't have had and over time these add up.

...not quite sure where this is going...but a fascinating topic.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is IF YOU WANT TO ACCEPT JESUS'S GIFT OF SALVATION, PRAY THIS FROM YOUR HEART:“DEAR LORD JESUS, I BELIEVE YOU DIED AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR MY SINS. PLEASE COME INTO MY HEART AND FORGIVE ME FOR MY SINS, I NOW RECEIVE YOU IN JESUS NAME AMEN.”

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    We'er told by scientists that the technology we use now is changing our brains, especially in children.
    But is this a bad thing? Will it even be a problem for humans born into todays world? Will it make a difference?
    Everyone on this forum was born in the time of the telephone. That technology is normal to us. The phone rings and we automatically answer it....unless we make a thought out decision not to.
    When the first telephone exchanges were rolled out, the warning was that it would change our behaviour as humans. People would not physically connect to relatives and friends. People would ignore person in the same room as we connect with another who arent present. The list goes on in relation to how it would change society, and not in a good way.

So is new technology changing us again? And is it really a bad thing? Has it taken away fundamental human traits? Connections? The very thing that makes us human?

I can think of many other technologies like vehicles, microwaves....etc etc.

Just as a side note...did you know that if you dug up a human buried before 1945 they will be free of radiation in their bones. After that date every human being has radioative particled within their marrow. And thats apparently not a bad thing.
    Yikes you make some interesting points

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:59 PM
    Gifts Beer

Technology has made us lazy, we no longer have to get up to answer the phone that used to be plugged into the wall, on a short cord.
    We no longer have to get up to change the channel on the TV
    We don't even have to get up to make food if we do not want to.

Auto correct is making our brains lazy as well.
    Email in the office makes us lazy, we don't have to walk down the hall to talk to anyone anymore (mind you the telephone did that way before email)

And it goes on and on, seems it's all geared to make our lives easier, at the cost of good health, and exercise.
    hmmmmm crazy humans
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

is IF YOU WANT TO ACCEPT JESUS'S GIFT OF SALVATION, PRAY THIS FROM YOUR HEART:“DEAR LORD JESUS, I BELIEVE YOU DIED AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR MY SINS. PLEASE COME INTO MY HEART AND FORGIVE ME FOR MY SINS, I NOW RECEIVE YOU IN JESUS NAME AMEN.”

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    Technology has made us lazy, we no longer have to get up to answer the phone that used to be plugged into the wall, on a short cord.
    We no longer have to get up to change the channel on the TV
    We don't even have to get up to make food if we do not want to.

Auto correct is making our brains lazy as well.
    Email in the office makes us lazy, we don't have to walk down the hall to talk to anyone anymore (mind you the telephone did that way before email)

And it goes on and on, seems it's all geared to make our lives easier, at the cost of good health, and exercise.
    hmmmmm crazy humans
    I would agree on this and so does GPS.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

See now that's interesting.... I never use GPS. My brain still remembers a map after looking at it. This has been a deliberate decision on my part after witnessing a relative completely lost after the GPS went down. I remember sitting in the car looking at them thinking 'you're kidding right? you just saw the map and the directions and now you're completely lost?'

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

It is fascinating to watch the evolutionary shifts caused by technology changes in the environment.
    Great grandkids are already mastering smartphones and computer puzzles and games by the time they are starting school.
    Question of the day is whether education systems can keep up with the changing paradigms in the learning process.
    Pretty soon, public school systems will prove themselves the new dinosaurs.
    The question is - Will the kids also learn how to deal with Real world environmental challenges as well?

Watching grandkids as they venture into adulthood, the jury is still out.
    We can see some significant polarity developing between the Technocratic society and a more naturalist one. How well will these two societies coexist?

Not sure we will live to see that answer. Might be worth risking a cryochamber (assuming a proper one is invented in my lifetime) to come back and find out in a century or so.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

I dont think it will change behaviours as in...a 2 year old will still throw a tantrum.....a 14 year old boy will still lose the power of speech and will use neandethal grunts....or a 20 year old thrill seeking.
    But it will change connections in other ways. Like the way people date. Approaching another human being has always been nerve wracking in any era....we know this because of poetry and writings from eons ago to present day. But i think minks is right , laziness or something like it (maybe we need to describe laziness in a different way. Using a washing machine freed up women to engage other activities. Instead of being enslaved to a boiling tub and wash board)....anyway i digress. A person could be surrounded in the opposite sex yet search an introduction on tinder.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

And i suppose technology didnt begin with steam....what about what the romans did for us?
    What about the invention of the clock? You know the saying "watching your life tick away? What did we watch before then? Were we astute at reading nature ? Shadows?

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    What about that Antikythera mechanism that's 2000 years old?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast