----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:57 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: battle of Beersheba

Oh, yes .

Thankfully. It's probably the only reason the Allies won, and very much down to Churchill.
    Last edited by Clodhopper; 10-31-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: change "we" to "the Allies"
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:57 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

We'd not be Brexiting if they'd won, we'd still be in the European Union.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

A very different sort of EU. There are prices too high and that's one. Mind you, none of us would be around to see it:

Speech by SS-Obergruppenfuhrer Richard Darre – 1940
    Richard Darre’s infamous speech made in 1940, detailed the fate of the British people, and makes chilling reading.
    “As soon as we beat England we shall make an end of you Englishmen once and for all. Able- bodied men and women between the ages of 16 and 45 will be exported as slaves to the Continent. The old and weak will be exterminated.
    All men remaining in Britain as slaves will be sterilised; a million or two of the young women of the Nordic type will be segregated in a number of stud farms where, with the assistance of picked German sires, during a period of 10 or 12 years, they will produce annually a series of Nordic infants to be brought up in every way as Germans.
    These infants will form the future population of Britain. They will be partially educated in Germany and only those who fully satisfy the Nazi’s requirements will be allowed to return to Britain and take up permanent residence. The rest will be sterilised and sent to join slave gangs in Germany.
    Thus, in a generation or two, the British will disappear.”

(Quoted from Battle of Britain Monument website Nazi Plans - Battle of Britain Monument

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:57 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

That is, I think, quoted originally in "Life", December 1940, pp.41-42, which you can read in full at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

To be quite honest I think it's a propagandist invention of the time, but I'll defer to anyone who knows better. The Life article preamble says, in effect, that it may or may not be from a genuine speech but even if it's not it's what he would have said if he'd said it. There's no indication in that origin-piece of where it was said, to whom it was said or the date it was supposedly delivered other than "May". That degree of vagueness generally indicates something that's been made up.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Well, I read the article in Life and couldn't find the above quotation. It did say this (article p43)

After the complete defeat and humiliation of the western continental powers it will be an easy thing to crush contemptible England, isolated and in our power. England must be destroyed as once Carthage was destroyed: the centres of this perfidious plutocracy must be turned into ruins so that this punishment will stand as a warning to all who will attack our nation (cut warning to America)...Thousands of our planes will fly over proud Albion and the thunder of bombs and fire will shake to the very foundations this accursed island that has for so long hindered our development. Our SS battalions with the rest of the army will finish the work of destruction without any sentimentality - destructions of the domains of babbling Churchills, senile Chamberlains and idiotic Edens and Attlees.

That's it - as far as I could see.

The quotation I give is in the spirit of the Life article but has far more in the way of specific detail. I'm not sure that either proves or disproves the validity of the other. I've had a dig around on this issue before without luck. It was a while ago - I'll have another dig.
    Last edited by Clodhopper; 11-01-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: correction of quotation

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Apologies to Magentaflame: This has gone a long way from the Battle of Beersheba. Should it perhaps be made into its own thread?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

And the credibility of my original quotation IS starting to look a bit underwhelming. Nothing definite yet, just a lack of ability to source it.

There are signs of einsatzgruppen being posted to the major populations centres under a bloke called Six and the "Black Book" of individuals to be handed to the Gestapo is certainly real - and bad enough - but nothing organised on the scale attributed to Darre. Still, I've emailed the Battle of Britain site to ask them for details and pointers so we'll see what comes back.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Apologies to Magentaflame: This has gone a long way from the Battle of Beersheba. Should it perhaps be made into its own thread?
    Lol i dont have a problem. Im learning stuff here. Plus those in glass houses. I do it all the time.

I guess the point of the legendary charge is the feat of getting there (3days on horseback just getting there) then what they did and the insane decsion to engage in it. (800 horses at full gallop in formation) the noise of horses and screaming men of that would have been as terrifying as a zulu charge).... and then, out of 800 men 37 dead and 39 injured....thats incredible in a full on charge

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Lol i dont have a problem. Im learning stuff here. Plus those in glass houses. I do it all the time.

I guess the point of the legendary charge is the feat of getting there (3days on horseback just getting there) then what they did and the insane decsion to engage in it. (800 horses at full gallop in formation) the noise of horses and screaming men of that would have been as terrifying as a zulu charge).... and then, out of 800 men 37 dead and 39 injured....thats incredible in a full on charge
    Yes, it is. Perhaps it gives some insight into why people in the 1920s and 30s still thought horsed cavalry had a role in modern warfare, as well.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    This is what I've got back so far from the BoBM site:

Thank you for getting in touch.

Its difficult to find genuinely authoratitive sites but I believe this fits the bill, it in turn also references LIFE
    magazine though:

R, Walther Darre "Blut & Boden" www.HolocaustResearchProject.org

The original speech would have been in German of course, I will ask a German-speaking friend to research
    some more.

The speech, if it happened, certainly fits in with his ethos of Nordic supremacy.
    We'll see what the German speaking friend comes back with. The other thing that strikes me is that everyone is saying that the quotation is from this Life issue - but it isn't. There's no way the excerpt I quote from the Life magazine article could be translated as the more extreme version - it's fundamentally different. So where DID it come from?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast