is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:59 PM

battle of Beersheba

You guys will see the re-enactment before i do but it looks amazing!

For those who dont know it ....it was insane! It was mad!....and it worked!

Basically the Australian lighthorse charged on horseback across the desert and captured Jeruselum ( not many people can say that)

Anyway they were swordless, carried their bayonets in their hands as their only weapons. Instead of charging to a trench dismounting and fighting as an infantryman like most of the lighthorse did during we1 they charged through enemy lines turned around an attacked from behind.

Then they had to shoot their own horses afterward.

Google it. Its quite extraordinary

Oh and how they earned their emu feathers in their slouch hats is also fantastic

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:59 AM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Re: battle of Beersheba

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    You guys will see the re-enactment before i do but it looks amazing!

For those who dont know it ....it was insane! It was mad!....and it worked!

Basically the Australian lighthorse charged on horseback across the desert and captured Jeruselum ( not many people can say that)

Anyway they were swordless, carried their bayonets in their hands as their only weapons. Instead of charging to a trench dismounting and fighting as an infantryman like most of the lighthorse did during we1 they charged through enemy lines turned around an attacked from behind.

Then they had to shoot their own horses afterward.

Google it. Its quite extraordinary

Oh and how they earned their emu feathers in their slouch hats is also fantastic
    Amazing - and the thanks some of them got for it? :-

The capture of Beersheba by the 12th Light Horse Regiment has been largely written out of history. "The honor and the glory of securing the town went to the 4th Australian Light Horse in a cavalry charge that in notoriety ranks with the charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava in 1854."[190] Allenby overlooks the 12th Light Horse Regiment's capture of Beersheba in his report to Wigram intended for the King. According to him, only the 4th Light Horse Regiment, charged and captured the town.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:59 PM

Ummm...thats a shame youve neen taught that. Maybe you should look up the Australian lighthorse website. They mention everyone in the battle including royal mounted and Yeolantry brigade. Where they were positioned, times, maps..etc. They mention the 4th because of the lead up and their roll in the battle which was basically suicidal.
    I was always taught it was the lighthorse fullstop.
    The last ever calvary charge in battle.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    The last ever calvary charge in battle.
    I think the Poles claim that. From Wikipedia:
    A popular myth is that Polish cavalry armed with lances charged (and were annihilated by) German tanks during the September 1939 campaign. This arose from the misreporting (both intentional and unintentional) of the Charge at Krojanty on 1 September, when two squadrons of the Polish 18th Lancers armed with sabres scattered German infantry before being caught in the open by German armoured cars.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:59 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

The whole campaign out in the ME in WW1 was a bit like that - it was much more what people at the time expected war to be like, not the trenches of the Western Front. Still horrible of course - those truly brave Aussies killed a lot of very decent young Turks and the effects of the war in Turkey itself were horrendous (famine, starvation, genocide). Allenby was also one of the better generals of the War.

The Aussies were without doubt some of the best fighting troops of the 1st WW. Produced an excellent General in Monash, too: He was the first to successfully implement a tactical system on the battlefield that truly integrated all arms working together. It worked and was then issued to the whole Imperial Army and used to drive the Germans back and force the Armistice. (That's a bit of a simplification - it was the principles that were important - the exact tactics varied according to circumstance)

edit: And I'm pretty sure the Russians were using horsed cavalry in WW2 for a lot of it if not all of it.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:59 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    The whole campaign out in the ME in WW1 was a bit like that - it was much more what people at the time expected war to be like, not the trenches of the Western Front. Still horrible of course - those truly brave Aussies killed a lot of very decent young Turks and the effects of the war in Turkey itself were horrendous (famine, starvation, genocide). Allenby was also one of the better generals of the War.

The Aussies were without doubt some of the best fighting troops of the 1st WW. Produced an excellent General in Monash, too: He was the first to successfully implement a tactical system on the battlefield that truly integrated all arms working together. It worked and was then issued to the whole Imperial Army and used to drive the Germans back and force the Armistice. (That's a bit of a simplification - it was the principles that were important - the exact tactics varied according to circumstance)

edit: And I'm pretty sure the Russians were using horsed cavalry in WW2 for a lot of it if not all of it.
    I am pretty sure that by 1941, they had eaten most of their horses.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I am pretty sure that by 1941, they had eaten most of their horses.
    Yeah, that's where my "pretty sure" comes from. But on the other hand as someone who lives on an island I tend to underestimate the consequences of the sheer size of Continental Powers and how far did the Western war affect Siberia? How far did the Atlantic War affect Alaska? They had a depth of strategic power that means they could - at least theoretically, I think - have produced the numbers needed.

edit: nb that the USSR unlike the UK or US fought a single front War.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

You left out Germany.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

chuckle. Yes, completely. The only "German" units I am aware of that were at least partially horsed were Russian defectors who ended up in the Vlasov Brigade or possibly "Cossack" units. Either way Russian in origin. The Wehrmacht depended on horses for logistics, especially in the USSR where the railway gauge was different to Western Europe.

edit: That looked awfully certain. Please let me emphasise that I know I don't know everything or in most cases, much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    They fought on quite a few fronts at the same time, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast