12-12-2017
    Local Time
    08:45 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: Gun amnesty

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    What might the remedy for that be?
    Education and required safety measures.

Nobody should be allowed to purchase a gun until they have attended qualified safety training, and passed psychological testing.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Education and required safety measures.

Nobody should be allowed to purchase a gun until they have attended qualified safety training, and passed psychological testing.
    I'd like to know how education would prevent a person half asleep suddenly awoken by someone gaining entry to their home without their knowledge and permission would stop them from panicking and reaching for their most potent means of interrupting the entry? How do you teach a person to wake up differently?

In Ryan Frederick's case the police claim they identified themselves which is either a fib or Ryan didn't hear them because he was sleeping. Ryan was a responsible gun-owner who became a mistaken target because of a moronic informant.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time

I'd like to know how education would prevent a person half asleep suddenly awoken by someone gaining entry to their home without their knowledge and permission would stop them from panicking and reaching for their most potent means of interrupting the entry? How do you teach a person to wake up differently?

In Ryan Frederick's case the police claim they identified themselves which is either a fib or Ryan didn't hear them because he was sleeping. Ryan was a responsible gun-owner who became a mistaken target because of a moronic informant.
    There are gun storage systems that allow you relatively quick access to a handgun. You have to use a code or a combination to open it. That would require you to be relatively conscious to access you firearm.

The number one rule of firearm safety is "Never point a gun at someone unless you are fully prepared to kill them."
    number two is, "If you cannot verify your target, do not pull the trigger.

In Frederick's case, and too many others, If you do not know who is there, you have no business pointing a gun at them, much less pulling the trigger.
    It really should be that simple, unless you are in a combat scenario, where you are certain that anyone downrange is the enemy. And even that notion has failed people many times.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Seems rather kooky to me!
    There are gun storage systems that allow you relatively quick access to a handgun. You have to use a code or a combination to open it. That would require you to be relatively conscious to access you firearm.
    Owning one of these should be mandatory in your opinion? It should be within an arm's length wherever it is one lays their head? Why would you not also recommend such a device for mobile use when carrying a gun outside the home? Since it should be a requirement for inside the home where the conditions and surrounding are more controlled than using one outside the home should be a no-brainer.

Do you use such devices?

The number one rule of firearm safety is "Never point a gun at someone unless you are fully prepared to kill them."
    number two is, "If you cannot verify your target, do not pull the trigger.
    You mean these are your number 1 and 2 rules? The NRA disagrees with you as does Magtech and NSSF. I think right now the number one rule for gun safety should be for the people and organizations who support gun rights to agree. You obviously were not trained by any of the organizations or affiliates I've listed here. Where did you get your training?

In Frederick's case, and too many others, If you do not know who is there, you have no business pointing a gun at them, much less pulling the trigger.
    So, until an intruder identifies themselves the gun owner has no business pointing the gun in their direction, no less shooting them? The key then for an intruder is to just remain silent? In your opinion, that should stand up in a court of law for the intruder should the gun/homeowner shoot and the intruder lives to tell about it?

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time

Seems rather kooky to me!
    Of course.
    Owning one of these should be mandatory in your opinion? It should be within an arm's length wherever it is one lays their head?
    What should be mandatory, in my opinion, is Firearm Safety Training, and perhaps certification.

Do you use such devices?
    I do. It is in my closet upper shelf where children cannot see it, or easily access it, but I can reach it and acquire my weapon with relative ease, once I am awake enough to recognize a potential threat.

Why would you not also recommend such a device for mobile use when carrying a gun outside the home? Since it should be a requirement for inside the home where the conditions and surrounding are more controlled than using one outside the home should be a no-brainer.
    There are other safety requirements and recommendations for when carrying a gun outside the home. Outside of the scope of this conversation, IMHO

You mean these are your number 1 and 2 rules? The NRA disagrees with you as does Magtech and NSSF. I think right now the number one rule for gun safety should be for the people and organizations who support gun rights to agree. You obviously were not trained by any of the organizations or affiliates I've listed here. Where did you get your training?
    What I wrote is, in my opinion, the cardinal rules for using a firearm for defense. (Which was the focus of the conversation.)
    General gun safety is an entirely different discussion.
    As for your question of where I received training, I was a certified NRA instructor when I was still in my teens.

So, until an intruder identifies themselves the gun owner has no business pointing the gun in their direction, no less shooting them? The key then for an intruder is to just remain silent? In your opinion, that should stand up in a court of law for the intruder should the gun/homeowner shoot and the intruder lives to tell about it?
    Now you're being silly, again. Have fun with that.
    - Anonymous

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    07:45 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

I was itching to jump into this thread but am glad I didn't. LarsMac is excellent with his posts.
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Now you're being silly, again. Have fun with that.
    I know it sounds silly, it does to me as well. However, all I did was reflect back what you posted.

And, fwiw, you never said any of what you posted was your opinion. Check back and see for yourself. You stated it all in an matter of fact way.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time

I know it sounds silly, it does to me as well. However, all I did was reflect back what you posted.

And, fwiw, you never said any of what you posted was your opinion. Check back and see for yourself. You stated it all in an matter of fact way.
    Now, THAT's rich.
    Who's opinion do you think that I should be posting here?
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Now, THAT's rich.
    Who's opinion do you think that I should be posting here?
    Yours, of course, but I'd prefer facts to an opinion when possible.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Interesting.
    Unless a post specifically Claims to be factual data, I presume it to be opinion.
    - Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast