----

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    07:43 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: Gun amnesty

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    True, more firearms does not directly correlate to more homicides by firearms.
    However, do you not find the fact that more than 70% of the total homicides listed include firearms.

There are all kinds of ways to play with the numbers, but firearms do make killing someone far easier and more certain.
    That is true. I went to my favorite whipping post Hey Jackass to see if Chicago followed the same trend, seems it did.

Did a little surfing and found this, Why Are Shootings Deadlier In Some Cities Than Others?

It looks good to me. Reminded me of what Ahso! posted about the FBI stats do not get all the numbers. Even if we had all the numbers, how much of the story does the raw homicide numbers tell us?
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    06:43 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Let's get this straight: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period. If you want to refer to some small trend here in the US, you'd better look at the big picture first.

Americans are 10 times more likely to be killed by guns than people in other developed countries, a new study finds.

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said.

The study was published online Feb. 1 in The American Journal of Medicine.

"Overall, our results show that the U.S., which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other high-income countries," said study author Erin Grinshteyn, an assistant professor at the School of Community Health Science at the University of Nevada-Reno. "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us," she said in a journal news release.

The review of 2010 World Health Organization data also revealed that despite having a similar rate of nonlethal crimes as those countries, the United States has a much higher rate of deadly violence, mostly due to the higher rate of gun-related murders.

The researchers also found that compared to people in the other high-income nations, Americans are seven times more likely to die from violence and six times more likely to be accidentally killed with a gun.

"More than two-thirds of the homicides in the U.S. are firearm homicides and studies have suggested that the non-gun homicide rate in the U.S. may be high because the gun homicide rate is high," Grinshteyn said.

"For example, offenders take into account the threat posed by their adversaries. Individuals are more likely to have lethal intent if they anticipate that their adversaries will be armed," she explained.

Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths. The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns, the study found. Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States. And 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns were in the United States, the study found.

is IF YOU WANT TO ACCEPT JESUS'S GIFT OF SALVATION, PRAY THIS FROM YOUR HEART:“DEAR LORD JESUS, I BELIEVE YOU DIED AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD FOR MY SINS. PLEASE COME INTO MY HEART AND FORGIVE ME FOR MY SINS, I NOW RECEIVE YOU IN JESUS NAME AMEN.”

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    08:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Let's get this straight: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period. If you want to refer to some small trend here in the US, you'd better look at the big picture first.

Americans are 10 times more likely to be killed by guns than people in other developed countries, a new study finds.

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said.

"Overall, our results show that the U.S., which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other high-income countries," said study author Erin Grinshteyn, an assistant professor at the School of Community Health Science at the University of Nevada-Reno. "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us," she said in a journal news release.

The review of 2010 World Health Organization data also revealed that despite having a similar rate of nonlethal crimes as those countries, the United States has a much higher rate of deadly violence, mostly due to the higher rate of gun-related murders.

The researchers also found that compared to people in the other high-income nations, Americans are seven times more likely to die from violence and six times more likely to be accidentally killed with a gun.

"More than two-thirds of the homicides in the U.S. are firearm homicides and studies have suggested that the non-gun homicide rate in the U.S. may be high because the gun homicide rate is high," Grinshteyn said.

"For example, offenders take into account the threat posed by their adversaries. Individuals are more likely to have lethal intent if they anticipate that their adversaries will be armed," she explained.

Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths. The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns, the study found. Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States. And 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns were in the United States, the study found.
    The reason for the 2nd Amendment in America is to protect Americans from Government Tyranny. The US is the freest nation on the earth and that's a big reason. Also, you seem to be very concerned with HOW a person is murdered, rather than the fact that the murder took place in the first place. If they didn't use a gun, they would have used a knife or a car or something else. The murder rate is what we really need to be worried about. People use knives and cars to murder, should we outlaw them too?

Murder rate by Country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

Violent Crime Rate By Country:

Countries Compared by Crime > Violent crime > Murder rate. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
    The reason for the 2nd Amendment in America is to protect Americans from Government Tyranny.
    What a joke. The government has nuclear weapons, you think they can't tyrannize you if they want to?

The US is the freest nation on the earth and that's a big reason.
    Free to kill 32,000 of ourselves a year? I'm pretty sure the founding fathers never intended that.

If they didn't use a gun, they would have used a knife or a car or something else.
    Another untruth. When guns go away, so does most violence. Look at Japan.

People use knives and cars to murder, should we outlaw them too?
    We register and license people who drive cars and they have to carry insurance for the damage they do. Worse yet, we don't let anyone under 16 use one. Why isn't that done with guns?

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post

That's all fine and nice, but really, who cares?

Hate to be dismissive, but I targeted two countries with strict gun laws which I know have homicide rates siaular to if not exceed that of the US. Trouble is finding is reliable information to compare to the US and the other nations.

There is enough problem not only between US states and cities, but inside cities that gun violence can vary from block to block. Not important to me what other countries with histories and cultures foreign to me are doing.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    01:43 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    That's all fine and nice, but really, who cares?

Hate to be dismissive, but I targeted two countries with strict gun laws which I know have homicide rates siaular to if not exceed that of the US. Trouble is finding is reliable information to compare to the US and the other nations.

There is enough problem not only between US states and cities, but inside cities that gun violence can vary from block to block. Not important to me what other countries with histories and cultures foreign to me are doing.
    Who really cares ?

Relatives of the 32,000 dead ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Who really cares ?

Relatives of the 32,000 dead ?
    Really? They care how we stack off with a list of foreign countries?

I'll move on.

All firearm deaths
    Number of deaths: 33,594
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.5

Firearm suicides
    Number of deaths: 21,386
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.7

64% of firearm deaths are self inflicted. Whose business is it to tell somebody the proper way to check out?

So now we are at 12,208 deaths other than by suicide.

Chicago's 762 homicides in 2016 is highest in 19 years

That counts for 6% of all gun homicides in a country of 300 million.

I suggest we focus our attention on the problem, not to gun.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    01:43 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Really? They care how we stack off with a list of foreign countries?
    OK probably not...........if that was the question.
    To concerned grieving I would guess

I suggest we focus our attention on the problem, not to gun.
    No guns no problem ?
    People just very seldom have fatal accidents, or cause death to tens of fellow human beings from roof tops, or have drive byes with knives.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time

Meanwhile in America...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gun amnesty-b4b.jpg  

is needing a vacation...

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Just because....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gun amnesty-c9b7cc201608442859927357eaff8af5-political-images-stupid-people.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9