is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    12:45 PM

Nightshift

Could be my age? could be that I've never done a nightshift before. (except for baby sitting fires but that's different)

Night shift sucks!!!! 12 hour night shifts suck even worse.
    My body doesn't know if it's Arthur or Martha. And being in the city sucks horribly.
    Ive come back home for a day or two just to see some trees and relax ....but a feeling of dread is going to overcome me when I head back.

any tips on how to get through night shifts? I've tried everything (within reason) that I found on the net. And 30+degree days isn't exactly conducent to a good sleep and rest.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Re: Nightshift

I've been walking to work as well....but that is changing . I'm buying a bike and turning 45 min walk into a 15 min bike ride. It's quite possible I'll be killed on the highway but this is the price we pay lol

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    01:45 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I did twelve hour night shifts for six straight months back in the mid-eighties, five days a week, nobody else could run the operations night shift on a newly-released buggy computer production system. I ran it, debugged it, patched it and carried the tapes for the 6am submission and never missed the deadline but it was hard work. The strain definitely showed in my behaviour back then, I got odder and odder.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    07:45 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

I was 19 in the Army working in a communications center. Four days 8 am to 8 pm, two days off, four nights, 8 pm to 8 am, two days off. Repeat.

Did that for over a year. It made for a six day week so every cycle my days off shifted one day. Had a hard time keeping track of what day of the week it was. Just glad I was young and dedicated.

I was kicked out of the communications center, seems I pissed somebody off so I was given an office job in security. Regular 7 am to 4:30 pm schedule. I never did bother to thank that ahole who complained.
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Currently staring work at 4am getting up at 2am. Have worked backshift 5pm til 2 or 3 in the morning. I find the key thing is to make sure you get enough sleep and establish a regular pattern. On the back shift I got myself blackout curtains- northern hemispere so in the summer it doesn't actually get dark till late evening and is only dark for a few hours at the summer spolstice it doesn't get dark at all.. Winter is easier as it's only daylight for a few hours. I like to get five or six hiours sleep - longer doiesn't really work for me.

Swop your day around - have breakfast before you go to work have lunch five or six hours in to the shift don't have a meal when you go home unless you were in the habit of having an evening meal. But eating stokes up your metabolism and makes it harder to sleep - tha's why night shift workers get in the habit iof snacking all the time. Keep away from coffe and tea they just wake you up and don't eat just before you go to bed and go to bed early enough to get some decent sleep. Go to bed shut your eyes and drift off rather than lying awake worrying about being awake. you'll find if you are overtired it's harder to sleep, do something that won't stimulate your brain before you go to bed if you fall asleep watching tv that's good don't force your self to stay awake. Don't do anything that stimulates your brain like calling a friend or playing computr games

I find I come in from work have a coffe or something sit down and I will fall sleep for a couple of hours then I go to bed later on. A good couple of hours is better than four restless ones..

I've also done double manned overnight trunkers - start at 6pm finish at 6am double manned driving for three hours swopping over for three - it's knackering because you reaaly have to concentrete on what you are doing fir that three hour stint you can only do it if you switch the day around.

It's eight o'clock here I'm actually away to bed now. I'm driving lorries i really can't afford to fall asleep at work. -5 this morning that doesn't half wake you up.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

thanks guys i feel your sympathy.
    And thank you gmc. Very similar to your situation. Someone at work suggested 'No-doz. but I think it did me an injury. I was very ill by end of shift and had to go home two hours early. I don't think I'll be trying that again unless I'm desperate. The problem with these shifts are that they are everywhere. Most people I know in my job do four on four off. but this crowd do two on, three off, two on, three off, then four ..then switch to day etc..or something like that. The body is constantly readjusting. Everybody looks like zombies on shift.
    The shared house I'm in has four twenty something year olds in it (looking for another place as we speak) and they don't understand how to be quiet.
    I'll take on board what you've said .....thankyou

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    thanks guys i feel your sympathy.
    And thank you gmc. Very similar to your situation. Someone at work suggested 'No-doz. but I think it did me an injury. I was very ill by end of shift and had to go home two hours early. I don't think I'll be trying that again unless I'm desperate. The problem with these shifts are that they are everywhere. Most people I know in my job do four on four off. but this crowd do two on, three off, two on, three off, then four ..then switch to day etc..or something like that. The body is constantly readjusting. Everybody looks like zombies on shift.
    The shared house I'm in has four twenty something year olds in it (looking for another place as we speak) and they don't understand how to be quiet.
    I'll take on board what you've said .....thankyou
    Switching shifts like that really does you in you end up sleeping on your feet. At least I am the same time week after week - sometomes 4 am.

I assume no doz is one of those caffeine drinks they're potentially lethal if used too often - there are suggestions it can lead to heart problems arrhythmia amongst other things.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Yeah theyre tablets you can get at any supermarket.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

I have done night work, I have done early starts, I have done 3 days on three days off rotating days and night, and I have done late shifts. (The things you do to earn a crust for the kids)

Nights alone can be adjusted to, earlies can be adjusted to, long days are OK, but rotating shifts where you do days then nights are evil and should be outlawed.

Have you considered you are not a townie, and night shifts are a not your bag ? It might not suit your metabolism, or your body clock, if it's making you ill, is it worth the money ?

Just my opinion of course.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I have done night work, I have done early starts, I have done 3 days on three days off rotating days and night, and I have done late shifts. (The things you do to earn a crust for the kids)

Nights alone can be adjusted to, earlies can be adjusted to, long days are OK, but rotating shifts where you do days then nights are evil and should be outlawed.

Have you considered you are not a townie, and night shifts are a not your bag ? It might not suit your metabolism, or your body clock, if it's making you ill, is it worth the money ?

Just my opinion of course.
    Unfortunetly bruv......yes.
    Im bleeding here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast