I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    01:43 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Outrage in Germany

I'm not sure how the boar density can get out of balance. If there's too many for the foodstock the size of the next generation plummets. It's self-balancing, that's how nature works. The only thing that interferes with that natural balance is people with rifles killing sufficient of them that the survivors can't repopulate in a single generation but fortunately boars are resilient as far as that goes.

So, given that killing a half million of them a year has no effect on the population density, and the boar numbers are the same as they'd have been with no culling, how is a cull meant to be ethical?

I'll bring up badgers too at this rate.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    02:43 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

I wasn't aware this was a cull per se, I thought it was hunters hunting, as they do. I've no objection to hunting (or a cull) in itself as long as what is killed is eaten, or at least used constructively. Also, the claim is that killing half a million a year is not enough to keep the population stable (ok, pigs produce big litters) so - especially given the town that was apparently overrun - this has overtones of fighting off an invasion.

Every year they cull the deer in Richmond Park. Necessary to keep the population stable and healthy in the absence of predators. Badger culling is not the same - at least I believe so: They are accused of spreading bovine TB but I gather there is doubt about that and there is no need from the population point of view to cull. The opposite if anything.

I do have a certain sympathy for the farmers, however. If badgers can spread bovine TB then prevention is better than cure and I understand their reluctance to have badgers on their land. It's not an easy situation
    Last edited by Clodhopper; 12-06-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: clarification
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    12:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'm not sure how the boar density can get out of balance. If there's too many for the foodstock the size of the next generation plummets. It's self-balancing, that's how nature works. The only thing that interferes with that natural balance is people with rifles killing sufficient of them that the survivors can't repopulate in a single generation but fortunately boars are resilient as far as that goes.

So, given that killing a half million of them a year has no effect on the population density, and the boar numbers are the same as they'd have been with no culling, how is a cull meant to be ethical?

I'll bring up badgers too at this rate.
    Introduced species here so im happy to shoot the lot of them.....and the deer with em'.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Actually....stuff it . Include the feral cats and wild dogs as well. Dammit! Lets go on a total shooting spree.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

A big issue. I have American squirrels and Asian Parakeets coming in to my garden. I feed them. The parakeets just turn up and I'd be putting that food out anyway, but when the autumn baby squirrel turned up I couldn't resist.

I should kill them.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    I do have a certain sympathy for the farmers, however. If badgers can spread bovine TB then prevention is better than cure and I understand their reluctance to have badgers on their land. It's not an easy situation
    Do you know what the alternative is? The cattle can each be inoculated, that's what. The reason they're not is that the current EU regulations would then prevent milk products from the inoculated UK herd from entering the EU food chain. You have a choice, cull badgers (which ineffectively does sod-all to reduce TB nationally but allows civil servants to say something's being actively pursued) or inoculate the UK herd and eliminate all UK cattle TB within a year and leave the badgers alone, and get the piss-poor EU regulation changed. You tell me which is the ethical choice. Oddly enough I do have an existing opinion on this one.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Introduced species here so im happy to shoot the lot of them.....and the deer with em'.
    Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Actually....stuff it . Include the feral cats and wild dogs as well. Dammit! Lets go on a total shooting spree.
    I agree entirely. Every word of it.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Although im more than happy the export the deer back to you.Theyre healthy with no deseases..... and its in Europe where they belong anyway....theyll be happier roaming the glens.... that would make queenie (and philly) very happy.

www.gma.vic.gov.au
    And find the deer page.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Do you know what the alternative is? The cattle can each be inoculated, that's what. The reason they're not is that the current EU regulations would then prevent milk products from the inoculated UK herd from entering the EU food chain. You have a choice, cull badgers (which ineffectively does sod-all to reduce TB nationally but allows civil servants to say something's being actively pursued) or inoculate the UK herd and eliminate all UK cattle TB within a year and leave the badgers alone, and get the piss-poor EU regulation changed. You tell me which is the ethical choice. Oddly enough I do have an existing opinion on this one.
    I'd be happy with that as a solution.

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    12-13-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    They tried mixo here . We've still got rabbits.
    Mixomato
    Micsermo

A disease that kills off rabbits. Hasnt worked. We've got foxes killing everything. Culling is a joke. The christmas tree our Omeo way has fresh kills on it i hear . (For wild dogs)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast