Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Teachers walk off their jobs

  1. #11
    Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,041
    Local Date
    06-18-2018
    Local Time
    08:41 PM
    Points
    38,659
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    Why do Democracies need education?

    https://scholar.harvard.edu/shleifer..._final_jeg.pdf
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

  2. #12
    Premium Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     
    tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    3,621
    Local Date
    06-18-2018
    Local Time
    09:41 PM
    Points
    16,808
    Gifts Beer Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    Cute trick.

    Equating a labor dispute with the quality of education.
    What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? - W. C. Fields

    A woman drove me to drink and I didn’t even have the decency to thank her. - W. C. Fields

  3. #13
    Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,041
    Local Date
    06-18-2018
    Local Time
    08:41 PM
    Points
    38,659
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Cute trick.

    Equating a labor dispute with the quality of education.
    If you say so.

    School funding is about a lot more than teachers' pay.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

  4. #14
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,183
    Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    03:41 AM
    Points
    27,932
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    posted by larsmac
    May I quote you on that?
    If you like but it's hardly an original thought. I would edit it though

    n a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity in a free society education is a right and to say otherwise makes you a fascist.
    And I mean fascist in the sense of
    A fascist is a follower of a political philosophy characterized by authoritarian views and a strong central government — and no tolerance for opposing opinions. Fascist traces to the Italian word fascio, meaning "group, bundle." Under fascist rule, the emphasis is on the group — the nation — with few individual rights.
    Clearly a lot of people think you should have no right to protest about the way things are and should just suck itb up. Having an education just means they are more likely both to be able to and to do so teachers are dangerous liberals how dare they ask for more money. Some of the reactions to the pupils at parkland speaking out have exactly that sentiment to it imo, they can't think for themselves so someone must be manipulating them. Watched some of them speaking at rallies quite impressive maybe the american school system could teach us a few things.

    The delusions of enthusiasm and superstition adam smith was referring to were those of religion and entitled privilege - god forbid you should question the natural order of society.

  5. #15
    Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,041
    Local Date
    06-18-2018
    Local Time
    08:41 PM
    Points
    38,659
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post

    And I mean fascist in the sense of
    A fascist is a follower of a political philosophy characterized by authoritarian views and a strong central government — and no tolerance for opposing opinions. Fascist traces to the Italian word fascio, meaning "group, bundle." Under fascist rule, the emphasis is on the group — the nation — with few individual rights.
    Clearly a lot of people think you should have no right to protest about the way things are and should just suck itb up. Having an education just means they are more likely both to be able to and to do so teachers are dangerous liberals how dare they ask for more money. Some of the reactions to the pupils at parkland speaking out have exactly that sentiment to it imo, they can't think for themselves so someone must be manipulating them. Watched some of them speaking at rallies quite impressive maybe the american school system could teach us a few things.
    Some people that I know personally have used some of those words quite enthusiastically, grasping at the notion that these people are just disgruntled troublemakers who have no appreciation for the Grand and Glorious Society that has been built just for them - and they should bow in humility and gratitude that God has not put them in the Great New Society where they can get away with such behavior without being taken out and shot, like they deserve.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    The delusions of enthusiasm and superstition adam smith was referring to were those of religion and entitled privilege - god forbid you should question the natural order of society.


    Final cut: In a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity. In a free society education is a right, and to say otherwise makes one a fascist.

    What do ya think?
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

  6. #16
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,183
    Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    03:41 AM
    Points
    27,932
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    posted by larsmac
    Final cut: In a capitalist economy free education is an economic necessity. In a free society education is a right, and to say otherwise makes one a fascist.

    What do ya think?
    Well yeah, I suppose, I said it but I would again point out it's hardly an original way of putting things or an original idea on my part. I don't know about the US but in the UK it's an attitude that is widespread. Frankly to me it's something that's blindingly obviouys. Being in the UK I also think free medical care is a right as well that too is something adam smith advocated along with a well paid work force - who would therefore have the disposable income to buy manufactured goods and services that wopuld in turn generate demand and more jobs.

    In the UK the adam smith institute is a right wing think tank personally I think smith would be birling in his grave at the way his ideas have been used.

    Some people that I know personally have used some of those words quite enthusiastically, grasping at the notion that these people are just disgruntled troublemakers who have no appreciation for the Grand and Glorious Society that has been built just for them - and they should bow in humility and gratitude that God has not put them in the Great New Society where they can get away with such behavior without being taken out and shot, like they deserve.
    I do too, depressing isn't it?

  7. #17
    Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,041
    Local Date
    06-18-2018
    Local Time
    08:41 PM
    Points
    38,659
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    posted by larsmac


    Well yeah, I suppose, I said it but I would again point out it's hardly an original way of putting things or an original idea on my part. I don't know about the US but in the UK it's an attitude that is widespread. Frankly to me it's something that's blindingly obviouys. Being in the UK I also think free medical care is a right as well that too is something adam smith advocated along with a well paid work force - who would therefore have the disposable income to buy manufactured goods and services that wopuld in turn generate demand and more jobs.

    In the UK the adam smith institute is a right wing think tank personally I think smith would be birling in his grave at the way his ideas have been used.



    I do too, depressing isn't it?
    It has seemed obvious for several generations. Of course, Smith may not have seen the probability in his day that the jobs would be in some distant country.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

  8. #18
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,183
    Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    03:41 AM
    Points
    27,932
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    posted by lars mac
    It has seemed obvious for several generations. Of course, Smith may not have seen the probability in his day that the jobs would be in some distant country.
    He was writing in 1776 as the industrial revolution was kicking off and no he wasn't american although he had a lot to say about the colonies - he saw the mercantile system then in place as holding them back and they should be independent or have representation in parliament. If you advocate free trade that means you need to have viable economies to trade with. You should have a read of it online it's reasonably readable despite the time it was written in. He is not a futurologist as we would use the term but he did live in a time of considerale economic and political change he was just expounding a theory of how he saw things going it's arguably one of the most influential books ever written but also seldom read especially by those on the right who spout the mantra of free trade and market economies carefulkly missing the point that people also matter.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    is jellyfish
     
    I am:
    Awesome
     
    magentaflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Vic Aus
    Posts
    1,868
    Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    12:41 PM
    Points
    10,062

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    Does someone in this thread have a problem with strike action?.....oh please bring it on! I so love a scab.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    is jellyfish
     
    I am:
    Awesome
     
    magentaflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Vic Aus
    Posts
    1,868
    Local Date
    06-19-2018
    Local Time
    12:41 PM
    Points
    10,062

    Re: Teachers walk off their jobs

    Register to remove this ad.
    And yes Patsy even in australia they have attention. And good on them too! Power to the people!.
    Dont get comfortable though there's going to be more strikes all over america in all industries. Your president has been lying to you all and your media is omitting important information from you all.
    As soon as teachers were threatened with jail the world found out about the teachers strike.......yeah..jail them and the condemnation of the world will come down on trump. Not a commo country? Nope...worse !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2