is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time
    02:34 AM

Archaeology and the Bible.

We live in an age of " Prove this, and Prove that", and thats understandable. Even the bible advises to " Prove all things", but can we actually prove that the bible is relevant history?

We most certainly can, and its very easy to do, using Archaeology as a reference in Reality. Archaeology offers Person, Place and Thing, for any to see and examine for themselves. It offers real Geographics, Real Artifacts, and Real places that existed in our history.

And I want to go into these unique unearthed realitys and show how they support the bible in our very real History.

Peace.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

Re: Archaeology and the Bible.

The Archaeological mind must be objective, rather than subjective, belief in God itself has both subjective and objective elements to it. Subjective is our own belief within our own minds, personal and Individual. Its what we think to ourselves, Private or self committed. And that is a very good approach to belief in God. Now objectivity is things outside of your mind, your belief as it considers things other than you. Things external to the mind rather than thoughts or feelings.

Meaning we can certainly personally believe in God ourselves, but things outside of ourselves must be considered, don't get locked into self with your belief in God, because there is far too much " Other than you", which needs to be considered. You are too limited to think that such a limited look can prove God to you, or anyonelse. The bible has an historical base in history , and believers need to be aware of this.

And I want to go into these facts outside of ourselves, which will actually support ourselves, in this dynamic known as belief in God as supported by human recorded history.

Know your History.

Peace.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time
    09:34 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I'll enjoy seeing what you can dig up then. The archaeology of Palestine is fraught with an astonishing lack of coherence when compared with the biblical text, far more so than any other ancient near east civilizations.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'll enjoy seeing what you can dig up then. The archaeology of Palestine is fraught with an astonishing lack of coherence when compared with the biblical text, far more so than any other ancient near east civilizations.

I don't think things that lack coherence need to be considered heavily, only those things which are coherent such as the location of death. An actual place of death, where an individual died, I think then lends to the credance of the individual itself. If I died, then I died, but if the place I died in exist, then that gives more credance to my death. Jesus died at the " Place of the Skull", or " Golgotha", and that place actually exist today, they found it. Its been unearthed. Its real, its geographic, its " Place and Thing."

Christ was recorded in Mark 15:22,27, 1Peter 2:24, to have been hung between two thieves at Golgotha. This place exist, we have it now, its real geographic, not imaginary myth. Before Jesus died, he prayed in the " Garden of Gethsemane", the actual place where he was betrayed by Judas, Matt.26:36-50. They have that place right now, it exist, its real. It fits the glove of history.

But other gloves fit as well, and I want to trace those imprints of history.

Peace.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time
    09:34 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    But other gloves fit as well, and I want to trace those imprints of history.
    Not at all. If you want to confirm the biblical accounts occurred in Palestine then the historical record needs to be a glove that fits, I don't see how you can pretend it's optional. Starting from a position of saying the bible is true as an article of faith is pointless in this context. The extent to which you can provide that physical evidence from archaeology is the extent to which you can offer your confirmation. You presumably agree there are problems, at least.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Not at all. If you want to confirm the biblical accounts occurred in Palestine then the historical record needs to be a glove that fits, I don't see how you can pretend it's optional. Starting from a position of saying the bible is true as an article of faith is pointless in this context. The extent to which you can provide that physical evidence from archaeology is the extent to which you can offer your confirmation. You presumably agree there are problems, at least.

I have not encountered any problems, but I have encountered infutable evidence such as the actual house of Mary and Martha, two people who walked and talked with Jesus, and Jesus often stayed in the house on his visits, Matt.21:17;26:6;John 12:1,2. Here we again have place and thing. We have actual geographic, and actual object. I have pictures of the house, its really well preserved, the Archaeologist did a good job working this one.

The house is in Bethany, and recent finds by the National Geographic team, may have well found the actual ossasries, or " Caskets" of Mary and other friends and relitives of Jesus. Go to their site and reference " The Tomb of Jesus." When you have the place that someone died in, as well as their bones or casket, its hard to dispute that they lived, its just common sense to me.

Did you know they have unearthed the actual tomb of Lazarus, the one Jesus raised from the dead in John 11:1-44? I mean they got this tomb man. They also have unearthed the Tomb of Joseph, I got pictures of both Tombs. I mean this is the actual Tomb that Joseph bought and owned, hewn into a hillside in a garden near where Christ was Crucified, and it all fits into the biblical account. They took Jesus body to this logical location. John 19:38-42. Again we have actual gravesite, actual geographic, the city this occured in, and biblical characthers who were directly involved with Christ.

It don't get no simpler than that.

Peace.

Peace.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

Archaeological discoveries often give additional information on old testament activities which may or may not be recorded in the bible directly, but fuse with it indirectly, and we just have to connect the lines of history. God was actively dealing with a nation on earth back then, oh how I wish he would do that now, but he is not, so we are left to trace his dealings in the past. Because thats how he wants us, now, to search and glean. For whatever reason.

The " Black Obelisk", of Shalmaneser III, King of Assyria, was found in the ruins of his Palace at Calah, ( Nimrud). It shows officals of five different nations paying tribute to Shalnameser, one of whom is Israel's King Jehu, 2 Kings 9-10. Israel existed in our early times, it had Kings and subjects, geographic and events recorded in both biblical and secular history.

The Obelisk, six and one half feet tall, bears the only likeness that has ever been found of any Israelite King. These kinds of Archaeological finds cannot be ignored, they are pictures of our past, and they are connecting the Bible to our past. So many years ago, no one way back then was trying to " Formulate a giant Scheme" to fool the humans of the future. What was real, was real. In example, " Jacobs Well" was unearthed, we have it right now. Jesus is recorded in the bible in John 4:4-42, as encountering a woman at Jacobs well as he passed through Samaria. This well is still in use today, near the little village of " Sycar". Still there, still obvious geographic, still person, place and thing.

Peace.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

First century coins of Palestine were made of three metals, Gold, Silver and Copper. Christ refered to these three in Matt.10:9, when he said brass that means Copper. Many Greek and Roman coins have been discovered and are of importance to the Archaeologist because they preserve for us the likeness of dignitaries, temples and buildings. Christ used a coin of his day to illustrate points, Matt.10:29-31 " Are not two sparrows sold for a Farthing?" When things like this are spoken, we can then trace this coin down to a specific time in history which is relevant to the speaker.

Farthings are worth about one-quarter cent each. When the Herodians sought to trap Jesus reguarding lawful payments of taxes, they brought him a coin at his request. It was a Penny which contained the image and subscription of Caesar, Matt.22:15-22. They were Roman coins made of Copper. The " Farthing" was called " Quadrans", the penny was called " Denarius".

The " Stater" ( A piece of money) was the coin that Peter found in the mouth of a Fish, Matt.17:27. It was a Greek coin made of an alloy of Gold mixed with Silver, and was the temple tax for Jesus and Peter. The " Didrachma" ( tribute) was also a Greek coin, the value of which paied the Temple Tax for one person, Matt.17:24. The " Drachma" was the Greek coin lost by a woman in Luke 15:8, worth half that of the didrachma. The " Lepton" ( Mite) was a Greek Copper coin, the smallest of Palestinian coins, was worth 1/8 of a cent. This is the coin used by " The Widow" that Christ observed in Luke 21:1-4.

I have pictures of all these coins. You can see Caesars inscription, temples and buildings, and read inscriptions that are lettered. Much like we do our coins today.

Peace.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

Did you know that they have found the bone box of " Caiaphas" the high priest that spoke with Jesus himself? I mean they got this mans bones. He is mentioned in Matt.26:57, Mark 14:53-65 and John 18:12,19-24. He was the High Priest of the Sanhedrin who most likely struck Christ himself, spit in his face and slapped him, Matt.26:67.This is amazing historical proof of the bibles historical relevance.

Did you know they have found the Bone Box of " Simon of Cyrene", the black man who was pressed into helping Jesus carry his cross, Matt. 27:32. They have this mans bones! Archaeology has found yet another relevant Biblical characther that supports Jesus existence.

Peace.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Did you know that they have found the bone box of " Caiaphas" the high priest that spoke with Jesus himself? I mean they got this mans bones. He is mentioned in Matt.26:57, Mark 14:53-65 and John 18:12,19-24. He was the High Priest of the Sanhedrin who most likely struck Christ himself, spit in his face and slapped him, Matt.26:67.This is amazing historical proof of the bibles historical relevance.

Did you know they have found the Bone Box of " Simon of Cyrene", the black man who was pressed into helping Jesus carry his cross, Matt. 27:32. They have this mans bones! Archaeology has found yet another relevant Biblical characther that supports Jesus existence.

Peace.

Even hisrorical writers who were secular give evidence of Jesus. Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Josephus, Lucian of Samosata and the Babylonian Talmud all mention Jesus. These writers were not a part of some elaborate hoax, they were historians and relevant to their times.

Peace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast