Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 493

Thread: The fear of this site being religious

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,124
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:25 PM
    Points
    22,376
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Ere you, Dot (and carry one), don't you drag me into this ! I said my piece and the boss has already mentioned about the take-over of this site's front page with aggressive and argumentative threads involving religion.

    As far as I am concerned each member is entitled to their opinions. Also, as far as I am concerned, if such threads do the same again in the future, then I shall not get involved, as I have already made my comments and observations. I know that I would feel the same if the site's front page was full of threads concerning football, or concerning art etc.. It does give any guest reader a certain impression about the site, wouldn't you agree ? It is much more interesting to a visiting guest reader if there was a cross section of different subjects to choose from.
    I do recall a time when we had exactly the same problems with photo threads and Word Game threads with exactly the same complaints from the members - it is not just an aversion to religion.

  2. #12
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,896
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:25 PM
    Points
    26,186
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    religion and politics two of he most interesting subjects to discuss. The problem with the religious threads is the occasional post just posting reams and reams of guff they think persuasive or links to you tube videos that would hold the attention span of a averagely intelligent person for about five seconds with no interest in discussion or interaction with anyone, and this on a discussion forum. You don't have to read them and I find most of the religious posters seem shocked that anyone disagrees with them don't actually know very much about their own religion or it's origins and quite frankly don;t want to think about it. They react by completely ignoring any post they can't deal with and prefer getting involved in interminable arguments with co-religionists about the minutiae of belief in something that's made up. I was once told by a former that I shouldn't be posting in religious threads because I was not a believer, the same individual also argued that religious beliefs should be respected and not argued with. I can respect someione right to believe to but not the belief itself especially when it's someone who is posting on a discussion forum.

    It would make no more sense to ban religious threads than it would to ban atheists getting involved in the discussion. Sadly the rleigious have always handled dissent by trying io shut up manyone who opposes, now trhey re-write hisdtory to say no we didnlt really do all those nasty things and people fall for it.
    posted by mickiel
    I myself, disagree with religions as I view them in this world, but I KNOW religion is a power; an influence; a popular notion; and a misused one. I don't see how the discussion can be avoided, unless its a purely Atheist atmosphere. And even then it is still discussed.
    Atheists almost by definition have questioned and discussed religion and generally speaking have mede extensive study of a subject they have found interesting enough to consider and evaluate, studies show that non believers are usually more knowlefgabkle about the various sects than the faithful. The religious just believe and don't question which is why a forum like this is a shock to the system.

    Pahu's threads grow because he is just talking to himself as is macooo.

    You're an american religion seems to be something that people in america cannot discuss dispassionately, disagreement is taken personally in the space of a few sentences. What's a hard core atheist by the way? Atheist/atheism is simply the belif that there is no god or gods there is no set of beliefs to be followed or anything like it it is not just another form of religion. The only thing atheist have in common is they don't belive ion deities. I don't believe god exists how much more hard core can you be?

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    is searching for truth
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    3,908
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    02:25 PM
    Points
    12,202

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    By hard core Atheist I mean the Atheist who acts like a hardheaded Theist would act; never listens, always thinks they are right; they constantly belittle others who do not think like them. The Theist and Atheist who are walled into their own world , and that world evolves around how they see it. Both are just opposite sides of the same coin. Both just as human as the other. Humanity is the coin.

    Like children wondering who is going to get the candy , then they get it and won't share. Selfish in their view of life. Hardcore in their beliefs, ever learning and never able to come to the truth that the candy is for everyone. The truth is for everyone. Selfishness exist on both sides ; polar oppisites willing to live separate in their conscious existence. Like repelling magnets , looking at each other as they push away.

    As big as a tree is , the only part of it that is alive is a thin layer beneath the bark and the leaves. All the wood inside is dead. So much like mankind; very few people have a mentality of life and love; much of this world's consciousness is dead in the area of unity with everyone; groupish and narrow minded. Fearful and competitive.

    But the beat goes on.

    Religion is a pillar on the building of mankind . It is here to stay.

    You don't have to invite it into your home, but the building will not stand without it. But you can invite it into the website ; many visitors will look for it once they get here. Because its a favorite; no doubt about it.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     
    FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    5,805
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:25 PM
    Points
    26,834
    Gifts Beer Cake

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    The aggressive component is not in what is being said, but the way in which so many threads get started up, all saying essentially the same thing. We all know what a fanatically comic pratt Pahu is, but all credit to him, he keeps to his own little (?) thread, happily going round & round in circles, pasting exactly the same thing on FG as he does in countless other forums on the net. However, not once has he infracted views anywhere else on the rest of the forum. On the other hand, look at how many other Religious thread have been started, and in what way has one been any different from the other, apart from by the name of the thread?

    By the way, in my own way, I am actually intending this as a compliment to Pahu. He may be a pratt, but he's an amenable pratt.

  5. #15
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    12,896
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:25 PM
    Points
    26,186
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    By hard core Atheist I mean the Atheist who acts like a hardheaded Theist would act; never listens, always thinks they are right; they constantly belittle others who do not think like them. The Theist and Atheist who are walled into their own world , and that world evolves around how they see it. Both are just opposite sides of the same coin. Both just as human as the other. Humanity is the coin.
    The religious won't leave people alone and insist in trying to interfere in everyday life in things like education, human rights and family planning and defend themselves with the pathetic argument that by stopping me telling you what to do you are attacking my right to relgious belief, don't ridicule my belief no matter how silly god is on my side so shut up.

    You almost invariably end up taking umbrage because you think you should "win" what you're really saying is you can't hold your own in debate and are incapable of accepting that sometimes the best option is to have fun arguing but agree to disagree. We can all agree to live together but when it really comes right down to it between atheism an theism only one can be right. We live in secular societies if we did not this discussion forum with conflicting views about religion would not exist and that's no thanks to religion.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    is searching for truth
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    3,908
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    02:25 PM
    Points
    12,202

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    The aggressive component is not in what is being said, but the way in which so many threads get started up, all saying essentially the same thing. We all know what a fanatically comic pratt Pahu is, but all credit to him, he keeps to his own little (?) thread, happily going round & round in circles, pasting exactly the same thing on FG as he does in countless other forums on the net. However, not once has he infracted views anywhere else on the rest of the forum. On the other hand, look at how many other Religious thread have been started, and in what way has one been any different from the other, apart from by the name of the thread?

    By the way, in my own way, I am actually intending this as a compliment to Pahu. He may be a pratt, but he's an amenable pratt.

    I have not read much of Pahu's thread , I just admire its longevity. And I disagree that all religious threads discuss the same thing, they are diverse, and may hit on similar points. I see nothing wrong with a poster being only on their own thread, I mostly do that, but on occasion I post on other threads, as they interest me.

    I challenge you to prove that " So many religious threads are being on the board", in my view, they are among the fewest of threads , according to topics. This board is big , there are way more topics posted than religious ones. Perhaps the religious ones just often garner the most attention, and that may be envied by some. If such threads are magnetic and energetic , they are just going to stand out. That's good for a site, its not a negative thing. There should be no spirit of competition ; and because there might be, it erupts conflicting feelings in others who have a chip on their shoulder already.

    If a thread is scoring points for the team, the site, you let it shoot; you don't stop your scorer from doing his or her thing.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    is searching for truth
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    3,908
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    02:25 PM
    Points
    12,202

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    The religious won't leave people alone and insist in trying to interfere in everyday life in things like education, human rights and family planning and defend themselves with the pathetic argument that by stopping me telling you what to do you are attacking my right to relgious belief, don't ridicule my belief no matter how silly god is on my side so shut up.

    You almost invariably end up taking umbrage because you think you should "win" what you're really saying is you can't hold your own in debate and are incapable of accepting that sometimes the best option is to have fun arguing but agree to disagree. We can all agree to live together but when it really comes right down to it between atheism an theism only one can be right. We live in secular societies if we did not this discussion forum with conflicting views about religion would not exist and that's no thanks to religion.


    I think Jehovahs Witnesses are invading toward people , but I do not see many other religions being invasive. Religion in the media is not invasive, because you don't have to watch. Churches are not invasive, you don't have to go.

    I disagree that between Atheism and Theism, only one can be right. Both have right points, both have truth, both have sense, both have humans, both have things that attract, both have a following. Both have features that give special prominence to humanity, both are sides of the same coin. I believe God wanted both ways to exist, because humanity needs both. What would up be without down? What would yen be without yang? What would lies be without truth? There is no such thing as a one sided coin, or a one sided humanity. Atheism needs Theism; Theism needs Atheism.

    A-THEISM; a term that includes both Theism and Atheism! This is not an issue of right or wrong, its humanity! Its family. One brother thinks one way, the other is way differing, but they are brothers! One sister walks in one direction, the other goes another way, but they are still joined.

    If you magnify separation , your trying to split a coin. Trying to uplift warfare in the family. The older I get, the more I see this. We are what we are, because we are supposed to be that way. If you are Atheist, your supposed to be one. A Theist is supposed to be a Theist, its that simple! Its not wrong for an Atheist to think like an Atheist, I believe God wanted a certain amount of Atheist to exist in every stage of Human history. He wanted a certain amount of males and females in every time frame. He wanted the friction that would cause. He knew it would be this way. When he planted the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, he started all the things and dynamics we are seeing in humanity today! That began the knowledge production of humanity. All our knowledge is based on good and evil, and the vase mixture of the two.

    In reality, both Atheism and Theism are wrong, in my view; neither is right. So its not a question of right or wrong, its the blind contending with the blind. We all are confused , nobody really knows what is behind the curtain. And I believe that.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,124
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:25 PM
    Points
    22,376
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I have not read much of Pahu's thread , I just admire its longevity. And I disagree that all religious threads discuss the same thing, they are diverse, and may hit on similar points. I see nothing wrong with a poster being only on their own thread, I mostly do that, but on occasion I post on other threads, as they interest me.

    I challenge you to prove that " So many religious threads are being on the board", in my view, they are among the fewest of threads , according to topics. This board is big , there are way more topics posted than religious ones. Perhaps the religious ones just often garner the most attention, and that may be envied by some. If such threads are magnetic and energetic , they are just going to stand out. That's good for a site, its not a negative thing. There should be no spirit of competition ; and because there might be, it erupts conflicting feelings in others who have a chip on their shoulder already.

    If a thread is scoring points for the team, the site, you let it shoot; you don't stop your scorer from doing his or her thing.
    I believe that FourPart was referring back to the start of some members problems with religious threads - the mass of threads started by Gnostic Christian Bishop. Many, many threads with different titles but basically on the same subject and attempting to daemonise Islam.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    is searching for truth
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    Mickiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    3,908
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    02:25 PM
    Points
    12,202

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I believe that FourPart was referring back to the start of some members problems with religious threads - the mass of threads started by Gnostic Christian Bishop. Many, many threads with different titles but basically on the same subject and attempting to daemonise Islam.


    Well with Gnostic Christian Bishop its " Along came the Spider", and sat down in Forum Garden. This type is just going to spin its web, spin all kinds of sticky information. Theism has a lot of spiders , they cast their webs everywhere. Looking to catch attention. I used to do that at Forum Garden , then I gave my word that I would not do it again , because I realized the irritation it caused. Most Spiders simply do not realize the irritation they cause, or don't care.

    I remember my mindset when I used to do it. It was like a drug, like getting high ; you do it and enjoy doing it. I got off on looking at them, the threads and the attention they got. Its a selfish satisfaction. Like saying, " This is how I think; this is how it is." It becomes an addiction. I woke up one day and saw myself drowning in myself. Like waking up in the middle of a lake of dung, and having to swim back to shore through all of it. The consciousness sees the mess it is in. So you learn and keep moving. Then you see another Spider doing the same thing , and you know its not much you can do about it. They have to get sick of their own dung , and I hope one day they will.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,124
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:25 PM
    Points
    22,376
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: The fear of this site being religious

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Well with Gnostic Christian Bishop its " Along came the Spider", and sat down in Forum Garden. This type is just going to spin its web, spin all kinds of sticky information. Theism has a lot of spiders , they cast their webs everywhere. Looking to catch attention. I used to do that at Forum Garden , then I gave my word that I would not do it again , because I realized the irritation it caused. Most Spiders simply do not realize the irritation they cause, or don't care.

    I remember my mindset when I used to do it. It was like a drug, like getting high ; you do it and enjoy doing it. I got off on looking at them, the threads and the attention they got. Its a selfish satisfaction. Like saying, " This is how I think; this is how it is." It becomes an addiction. I woke up one day and saw myself drowning in myself. Like waking up in the middle of a lake of dung, and having to swim back to shore through all of it. The consciousness sees the mess it is in. So you learn and keep moving. Then you see another Spider doing the same thing , and you know its not much you can do about it. They have to get sick of their own dung , and I hope one day they will.
    You and me both

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2