Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    02:24 PM

Re: The fear of this site being religious

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    You and me both

Yes, it requires stronger insight for one to look into themselves and see their own faults. But when a spider is on a mission , they are narrow minded and focused on their own vituperation ; I know, I used to be one. I can understand a website getting aroused and tired of this, especially if more than one spider crawls onto the board and starts spinning. Life is just a tangled web , and we have to tolerate the pot holes that are just on the road of life. You can fix one and another pops up. Like a lump on a rug, you can iron things out, then up pops somethingelse.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

As religion rains its moral disapproval down on Forum garden, I think the sites members have dealt with it well , my concern is that these members don't push back with a predetermined prejudiced that assumes that visitors don't have the same insights that they do which recognize the trick bags of religion. Common sense does not need to be protected , we don't need to post guards here ; nor do we need to let intimidation fuel over protective concerns about the visiting public. Does Atheism need protection when it is attacked? No, Atheist can fend for themselves. The public can fend for themselves , the welcome dynamic is well in place at Forum Garden already. Newcomers are welcomed here by many members consistently. Religion is well established in the public where the visitors came from, they know how it is. This site is well established , reputation is not tarnished by toleration of sites, its enhanced.

You deal with disruption from the inside, not from what comes from the outside. That's one of the serious problems with religion, its imploding; too many Trojan horses have been planted inside religion, it gave far too much attention to its public, its image, and did not look inside at itself. From within, religion let too many things get into its bloodstream, now the body is infected. They historically were driven to increase the membership, and the Trojan horses of tradition, paganism, and false doctrines were bled into its system and it has never been the same since. They got their members at great cost. They got their mega churches at a terrible price to both them and the public. They got infected and they infected the public.

And Christian education has been swelling the cranium ever since. Its been a frontal assault on the frontal lobe. And rather than embracing intellect, they went after the emotions of the public. Contemporary theology became a blending of Christian thought and pagan philosophy. And although the intellect is not a gateway for knowing God deeply, neither are the emotions. While the spirit can embrace intellect, the human intellect and emotions do little to understand spirit. Knowledge is not the equivalent of moral character, and religion got caught up in data-transfer education.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    04:24 PM
    Gifts Hay Bale Balloons Mop Cocktail Cake

I don't even start reading them anymore... except for that poor sap who gets ignored by everyone at their church and church activities when they show up.
    That is interesting reading
    I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.
    Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by flopstock View Post
    I don't even start reading them anymore... except for that poor sap who gets ignored by everyone at their church and church activities when they show up.
    That is interesting reading

Well there are many characters involved with religion , it produces many reactions in people that has limited appeal to the secular market. These unstable people have a serious devotion but they are not the litmus test that garners new members from the secular audience. We must assume that because they have so many members, there has to be a percentage drawn from the secular masses. Religion , as a whole, is not being ignored. Life is lived forwards but understood backwards ; we must consider the history of religion. First century religion began many changes in the churches.

The fact that religion has many disturbed roots, does not make everything in religion wrong in themselves, but it does not mean they are sacrosanct. Major changes in religious practices over the past half century have been largely window dressings. Religion got caught up in " Trends" and hollowed practices. That produced the " Poor Saps" and spawned generations of plastic people who let the clergy think for them. The church became an institution that had its meetings and gatherings turn into one " Big Mouth", speaking to a congregation that was reduced to being one " Big Ear." Heretics began coming from all directions , this practice was picked up by all cultures.

The era of Constantine gave birth to a lot of this.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

One of the reasons religion is feared , are their leaders and their influence. Such as the Pope , in example , reams of influence on the world, and that power passed down from Pope to Pope and on to subsequent generations. As I said, those generations , the membership of the church, became one big ear, listening to one big mouth. The members largely do not participate in the services, they just warm benches and listen. This is one of the reasons some of them come to websites such as this, they are given the opportunity to express themselves ; to say something; to participate. Then they go back to church and listen. This must be understood about them ; they have a freedom here that they don't have at their churches. They can say anything they wish, and some of them simply don't know how to handle that freedom, like a slave being granted one day of freedom to do anything he wants.

Some first century religions were perhaps religion at one of its more proper forms, before it was tainted and corrupted. Religion was an organic entity that gave everyone expression, far different from the institutional churches today. As far back as Rome, during the Roman Empire, foreign elements can be tracked seeping into religion and giving birth to traditions that still have roots today. Traditions that created things that are " Normal" in society today; such as wedding ceremonies, funerals, statues, wedding rings, Easter, Christmas, stained glass windows, Gothic Cathedrals, Buildings and steeples, the contemporary sermon, Clergy and Laity, the " Choir", the usher and the collection plate, " Sunday School"; the list goes on and on, its extensive.

When I say " Buildings" , Constantine built church buildings that were spacious and magnificent. They intimidated the structure of pagan temples. This began the dynamic of creating a membership primed for passive and docile crowds to watch a performance. To just sit there and do nothing but allow these leaders to put a funnel into their heads and pour knowledge into them. Then they live out their lives like programmed robots. Happy and content in what they have heard.

The sheer power of their leaders.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

You ever had someone in your family that was religious, and you were ashamed of that? Has religion got so bad, that a person could be so weary of it, that they think a religious person is a leper? Like they have aids or something?

Then you look at websites, how they can become like another home to people who constantly use them. You go there all the time and enjoy it; it becomes a daily part of your being. Even to the point that you become prejudiced toward anyone that you think is spoiling your "Second Home." They come in and your ready to put them out. Because they don't think like you; how dare them.

They have something on them that you don't want on you. Like a nasty perfume.

A sneaky kind of fear can be manufactured like that.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:24 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

My Grandmother was a devout Christian. Not only did she attend Church every week, as well as getting involved in other Church activities, but she was a Bell Ringer at Christchurch Priory as well. She was a lady who faithfully lived the moral teachings of Christianity. However, she would never have imposed her beliefs on anyone else & would treat all those who did so with utter contempt. She considered her beliefs to be a personal thing, and not something to go waving about in everyone else's faces. She would lead by example, by helping those in need, regardless of race or creed, and without constantly preaching religious claptrap at them. I even remember asking her as a kid, "Why do you have to go to Church just to be a kind old lady?", to which she simply answered "No reason".

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    My Grandmother was a devout Christian. Not only did she attend Church every week, as well as getting involved in other Church activities, but she was a Bell Ringer at Christchurch Priory as well. She was a lady who faithfully lived the moral teachings of Christianity. However, she would never have imposed her beliefs on anyone else & would treat all those who did so with utter contempt. She considered her beliefs to be a personal thing, and not something to go waving about in everyone else's faces. She would lead by example, by helping those in need, regardless of race or creed, and without constantly preaching religious claptrap at them. I even remember asking her as a kid, "Why do you have to go to Church just to be a kind old lady?", to which she simply answered "No reason".

My mother was the same way , she helped a whole lot of people. She started a neighborhood free clothing program, she also started a free food program 5 years ago, and both programs are still going strong today. When she died, the church named the programs after her. She also started a youth education summer school, which the city of Detroit gave her an award for.

I too once asked my Mom why she did so much, she said she wanted to please God. She said the people need those things. She also started a free thanksgiving dinner for 5 " Halfway houses", 13 years ago, and they still have it every thanksgiving. Halfway houses are programs that help shelter drug addicts and alcoholics and ex call girls, and homeless people. After they eat, they take them over to the clothing house and let them pick all the clothes they need.

My Mom was a great for real woman.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    10:24 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

That is the thing I have the utmost respect for & support it all the way, whatever the motivation. However (although, admittedly, things have changed nowadays), when you get institutions such as the Salvation Army where sustenance would be provided for the needy, in return for listening to a load of preaching, that is a different matter, as that is a case of imposing their beliefs on others when they are at their most vulnerable.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    That is the thing I have the utmost respect for & support it all the way, whatever the motivation. However (although, admittedly, things have changed nowadays), when you get institutions such as the Salvation Army where sustenance would be provided for the needy, in return for listening to a load of preaching, that is a different matter, as that is a case of imposing their beliefs on others when they are at their most vulnerable.

Then the Salvation Army in Detroit must be from another planet, because everything they provide is freely given every day with no preaching what so ever! Perhaps you just have a load of prejudice toward religious organizations that is sitting in your brain and affecting how you view them. You won't see nothing good in them anyway. When that same mentality looks at a religious thread on this site, that same prejudice will be filtered into the thread, and you will cry foul.

The war between Theist and Atheist will never end because of that prejudice; it gives birth to a kind of fear that looks to manipulate the masses on both sides. A sad situation to observe ; a deadly dynamic that festers in the human nature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast