----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time
    03:31 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: The fear of this site being religious

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Since God is spirit It is part of the spiritual part of life. As for my beliefs No one on here knows what I believe.
    If you don't believe in god you are an atheist. If you do, even as part of spiritual life you are a theist. Why do you believe in god?

Karen Armstrong is a scholar. Because she is a beliedver she gets ridiculed by some on here who simply no little to nothing about religion. Bujt hey they think they have all the answers. Amazing how one can criticise what they know little about.

Judging from many of the posts on here many of the religious posters know a great deal less about religion than they like to let on. If you are not convinced a god exists religion is largely irrelevant. It's not which religion it's why any.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time
    07:31 AM

Not worth a real response

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Not worth a real response
    I assume that's because you are not capable of giving one. I don't care what particular religion if any you follow and it's quite a simple question. Why do you believe in god?

Why do you post on a secular forum about religion if you do not wish to discourse?

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time

Lol

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

posted by ted
    Lol
    OK I'm done trying to be civil and engage in conversation. You're a pillock.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time

I don't think so. You have been belligerent from the word go. Always looking for an argument. Evangelical atheist.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time

Why not believe in God? Give me a good reason not to. Explain to me why belief in God needs to be
    Questioned in the first place. Belief in God is natural. It's like nature. It was meant to be. Now why was it meant to be? Because it's part of our existence.. We are conscious of God because we were
    Meant to be.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Why not believe in God? Give me a good reason not to. Explain to me why belief in God needs to be
    Questioned in the first place. Belief in God is natural. It's like nature. It was meant to be. Now why was it meant to be? Because it's part of our existence.. We are conscious of God because we were
    Meant to be.
    It's in Human Nature to invent something to fill a void whenever they encounter something they do not understand. In Superstition that something is made into a God. In Science it is merely an Unknown Factor in an equation.
    The Superstitious used to attribute Thunder & Lightning to be indications of God being angry. Shouting his wrath & throwing rods of fire at the wicked sinners below. Since the growth of Science we now know better.
    As for why not believe in a God - because there is no reason to do so. Why not believe in Fluffy, Flying Pink Elephants? Can you use any of your own arguments to prove they do not exist? Science cannot prove they do not exist either, therefore Science does not say that they don't exist, only that it is highly improbable as there is no evidence to indicate that they do exist - just as there is no evidence to prove the existence of a God.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    If you don't believe in god you are an atheist. If you do, even as part of spiritual life you are a theist. Why do you believe in god?
    Not so. You are using a Binary argument. Science is never Binary as it always leaves the way open, as even invites it, to be proved wrong. I do not believe in a God, but I still accept that given proof I would have no option but to believe. An Atheist would not even accept this. I believe the term for me might be Agnostic. The first phrase towards learning is "I do not know".

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-16-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Not so. You are using a Binary argument. Science is never Binary as it always leaves the way open, as even invites it, to be proved wrong. I do not believe in a God, but I still accept that given proof I would have no option but to believe. An Atheist would not even accept this. I believe the term for me might be Agnostic. The first phrase towards learning is "I do not know".
    Splitting semantic hairs perhaps but I actually agree with you.

atheist
    ˈeɪθɪɪst/
    noun
    a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

If you don't believe in a god or lack belief in a god you are an atheist. Without god. That doesn't mean you would not be open to or accept proof of god's existence but I've yet to hear or see any proof of god. Like Richard Dawkins I am 99.9% certain there is no higher being. (must read his book sometime).

An agnostic is more akin to a person who believes that the existence of a greater power, such as a god, cannot be proven or disproved. You just don't know. Which may well be and is a position I agree with (no offence intended with what follows I can respect your choice bit I don't agree with it) but I regard it is sophistry designed to deflect the antagonism of the religious when you question their reasons for believing, it's not that far back in our history to a time when being a non-believer was downright life-threatening it's ingrained in us to dissemble when it comes to religion. I don't know either but come down on the side that there is no higher power until shown otherwise I no longer use the term agnostic when applied to myself for the simple reason I was simply trying to avoid giving offence and avoid getting in to arguments which when you are talking to the devout can very quickly become very hostile. especially with the nuttier protestant sects. I suppose I could class myself as an agnostic atheist I don't believe god exists, but it can't be proved

posted by mickiel
    Meant to be.

If you don't know the cause of something why invent an imaginary being to explain things? I don't know is a good enough answer until you find answers. You are the one who claims god exists the burden of proof is on you, generally speaking proving something does not exist is rather difficult on the other hand if something does exist it should manifest itself somehow.

We are conscious of God because we were Meant to be.

You think you are conscious of god (I assume) why do you think you are?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast