I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time
    11:14 PM

Re: The fear of this site being religious

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Why do you think that they do not occur today?
    Some may form, but far and distant from us. But some scientist think a quasar will one day eat up our milky way, and form together with us.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    At least on that we are agreed. On the Origin of the Universe Theism are not necessarily quite so much in conflict.
    We agree on the point of the Big Bang having occured. Anything after that point is moot. It is accepted it happened & went on to develop from there. The only point where we differ is as to what the cause of the Big Bang was. My personal belief is that it was a matter of random occurence that caused a spontaneous spark which triggered a major chain reaction. The Theistic side is that of some kind of intelligent Deity that existed before time itself in a realm that didn't even exist at that point (as we have already agreed that the beginning of all would have been the Big Bang.
    In Nature as well as in Science, the simplest solution is nearly always right one. The notion of a God is far from simple, whereas the notion of a spontaneous spark is as simple as you're likely to get.

As for life? That goes into the realms of philosophy. What do you define as 'life'? A rock - especially a fossil will have all the same building blocks & chemistry as we do, but it is clearly not alive, but no-one can deny that it once was so. There are only a limited number of (known) elements & most of these are found in everything we would consider to be 'life', but they also appear in those which we would not.
    The philosophy of Reincarnation isn't necessarily so far fetched. Think of 'life' as being an energy force. It is the presence of this force that determines the difference in a combination of elements from being animate & inanimate. When a life form dies that energy force is passed one down the food chain to sustain the other life forms that get their sustenance from that life force. This is, after all, a form of reincarnation. The idea can also lead on to the Spiritual. What if a lifeform dies suddenly & that life energy has nowhere to go? Could that disembodied energy be what some might refer to as a 'ghost'.
    You see, these are not claimed to be facts, merely hpothetical scenarios based on what is observed combined with folklore, and before you know it the seed of a Religion is born.
    I think life is a being that lives and is in motion. Conscious life is far different than average life, because now the being is thinking. Its mind is in motion, it has a mind of its own. I think some rocks were once alive , being Molton lava that now cools, but has life on it and in it. And islands are created that have incredible life.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I think life is a being that lives and is in motion. Conscious life is far different than average life, because now the being is thinking. Its mind is in motion, it has a mind of its own. I think some rocks were once alive , being Molton lava that now cools, but has life on it and in it. And islands are created that have incredible life.
    Life has taken the chemistry of the earth and made it it's own.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

Life has taken the chemistry of the earth and made it it's own.
    Life hyjacks the earth chemicals and feeds the world with its own art.

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

A lot of people including several scientists simply have little to no idea about the nature of religion. They pick and choose as much as the fundamentalists. Thus we do have evangelical atheists. I am a Christian but I am not a theist.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    A lot of people including several scientists simply have little to no idea about the nature of religion. They pick and choose as much as the fundamentalists. Thus we do have evangelical atheists. I am a Christian but I am not a theist.
    I am a believer and I have no idea what the nature of religion is.

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

Mickiel right on. Try reading so academic sources. "Fields of Blood" by Karen Armstrong is one example.

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-15-2018
    Local Time

Mickiel with all due respect I suggest you read Karen Armstrong's book "Fields of Blood"/

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-16-2018
    Local Time
    07:14 AM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Because the science says they do not form in our time, only our distant past.
    I believe that the science says that in order to produce a Quasar you need a collision between galaxies one of which has a supermassive black hole at its centre.

Given that astrophysicists now believe that most galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their centre a quasar could be formed wherever two galaxies collide but, given the expanding universe, this was much more common in the distant past.

So, whilst the probability is dropping there is nothing stopping it happening.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-16-2018
    Local Time
    12:14 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I believe that the science says that in order to produce a Quasar you need a collision between galaxies one of which has a supermassive black hole at its centre.

Given that astrophysicists now believe that most galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their centre a quasar could be formed wherever two galaxies collide but, given the expanding universe, this was much more common in the distant past.

So, whilst the probability is dropping there is nothing stopping it happening.
    Well, even if one "formed in our time", unless it was our own Universe, it will likely be a few centuries before we find out about it.
    I don't plan on sticking around that long.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast