is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    07:07 AM

The fear of this site being religious

I could not help but notice how some here at this site, seem to hold a fear of it being thought of as a religious site. I already know and understand that it is not a religious site, it just has a few threads that gain a popularity every now and then, that are religious topics. But I am taken back by the reaction to that by some here ; they react by showing an attitude that suggest the popular religious threads should be removed or something. Or that its something wrong with a religious thread , or a spiritual thread , or a biblical thread , to have a presence on the board everyday.

As if it is an affront.

I find this an interesting dynamic , a study in human nature really. And I know it is also mostly Atheist generated. Not that Atheist are insecure here , but I cannot help but observe the happenings and examine them; I have been here for years. Me myself, I usually do maybe one thread a year , rarely two, and some react as if that is too much. An unusual standard that is tight and reveals something to me ; if one thread a year is threatening, or bothersome ; my goodness , the power of religion must be incredible! And I personally think it is , although I am not religious. But I am forced to post my views in the religious section, because of stereo typing. And I understand that.

If the order were reversed, and this place was majority religious , I wonder what the religious would think about Atheist threads? Because this place is not majority religious, not in my view.

I often consider what are my insecurities? Do I allow all opinions from others without fear or prejudice? I don't really know, I only hope that I do. But I think fear of opinions or beliefs can be very up rooting and destructive in its final results. I know what I am, and the perception of me from others does not up root me or rattle me.

This site knows what it is, and will not be up rooted or rattled by religious opinion.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    03:07 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Re: The fear of this site being religious

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I could not help but notice how some here at this site, seem to hold a fear of it being thought of as a religious site. I already know and understand that it is not a religious site, it just has a few threads that gain a popularity every now and then, that are religious topics. But I am taken back by the reaction to that by some here ; they react by showing an attitude that suggest the popular religious threads should be removed or something. Or that its something wrong with a religious thread , or a spiritual thread , or a biblical thread , to have a presence on the board everyday.

As if it is an affront.

I find this an interesting dynamic , a study in human nature really. And I know it is also mostly Atheist generated. Not that Atheist are insecure here , but I cannot help but observe the happenings and examine them; I have been here for years. Me myself, I usually do maybe one thread a year , rarely two, and some react as if that is too much. An unusual standard that is tight and reveals something to me ; if one thread a year is threatening, or bothersome ; my goodness , the power of religion must be incredible! And I personally think it is , although I am not religious. But I am forced to post my views in the religious section, because of stereo typing. And I understand that.

If the order were reversed, and this place was majority religious , I wonder what the religious would think about Atheist threads? Because this place is not majority religious, not in my view.

I often consider what are my insecurities? Do I allow all opinions from others without fear or prejudice? I don't really know, I only hope that I do. But I think fear of opinions or beliefs can be very up rooting and destructive in its final results. I know what I am, and the perception of me from others does not up root me or rattle me.

This site knows what it is, and will not be up rooted or rattled by religious opinion.
    I'm not sure fear is the right word. I think that the Garden went through a phase recently where almost all of the threads on the front page were not just based on religion but were aggressive and argumentative and the attitude appeared to be more that many of those who are not religious were fed up with, and overwhelmed by, too much religious infighting.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Someone haul Gill before the bench to account for herself.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I'm not sure fear is the right word. I think that the Garden went through a phase recently where almost all of the threads on the front page were not just based on religion but were aggressive and argumentative and the attitude appeared to be more that many of those who are not religious were fed up with, and overwhelmed by, too much religious infighting.

Well I disagree with being overly aggressive and argumentive on board, but I do not disagree with the right to post our views. If almost all the threads on a particular day or days were about Atheism, would you consider that to be something people will get fed up with? Would you suggest there is no infighting in Atheism? If almost all the threads were about rabbits , would that give the site a bad reputation? You think that would turn people off?

Maybe we could invite an hypnotist to cast a spell on the site, that would not allow any particular subject to dominate at any time. Would that then be fair?

Or we could install a toilet on site, that automatically flushes any religious topic down the drain.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Well I disagree with being overly aggressive and argumentive on board, but I do not disagree with the right to post our views. If almost all the threads on a particular day or days were about Atheism, would you consider that to be something people will get fed up with? Would you suggest there is no infighting in Atheism? If almost all the threads were about rabbits , would that give the site a bad reputation? You think that would turn people off?

Maybe we could invite an hypnotist to cast a spell on the site, that would not allow any particular subject to dominate at any time. Would that then be fair?

Or we could install a toilet on site, that automatically flushes any religious topic down the drain.

We already have a toilet on site but it is very rarely used and never automatically for threads on any topic.

I did indeed uphold the right of the posters involved to air their views and pointed out that, although it had lasted for several weeks it would burn itself out.

It was not, I am sure, the fact that the threads were about religion but the fact that the OP launched them with the intent to cause as much argument as he could stir up - it verged on trolling but did not, quite, cross the line.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    We already have a toilet on site but it is very rarely used and never automatically for threads on any topic.

I did indeed uphold the right of the posters involved to air their views and pointed out that, although it had lasted for several weeks it would burn itself out.

It was not, I am sure, the fact that the threads were about religion but the fact that the OP launched them with the intent to cause as much argument as he could stir up - it verged on trolling but did not, quite, cross the line.

Well I agree with you, if this person did that ; I think, for the most part, it would be obvious when a poster is baiting such things.

I still see an undercurrent of dismay toward religious topics from many , especially when those topics or threads garner a lot of views, or stand the test of time and last.

Has it ever occurred that religion is just a popular topic? If I said it was " Naturally popular", is that offensive? A site would have to be purely hard core Atheist for religion not to be one of its most popular sections. Or just a site that does not invite human issues, or does not focus on that.

I myself, disagree with religions as I view them in this world, but I KNOW religion is a power; an influence; a popular notion; and a misused one. I don't see how the discussion can be avoided, unless its a purely Atheist atmosphere. And even then it is still discussed.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

You know, for the most part, one could control the conversations going on in their homes ; and they should, to a degree; considering the degree of openness the owner has themselves. A website is different, its not a home. Far be it from me to list how a website should be run, and I don't have one. But I have seen, and seen for years, an undercurrent of infighting between Theist and Atheist on websites; on some a battle for control.

I think fear has a lot to do with it; fear on both sides. It causes unpleasant emotions; hey, one of the definitions of fear is unpleasant emotions.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Someone haul Gill before the bench to account for herself.
    Ere you, Dot (and carry one), don't you drag me into this ! I said my piece and the boss has already mentioned about the take-over of this site's front page with aggressive and argumentative threads involving religion.

As far as I am concerned each member is entitled to their opinions. Also, as far as I am concerned, if such threads do the same again in the future, then I shall not get involved, as I have already made my comments and observations. I know that I would feel the same if the site's front page was full of threads concerning football, or concerning art etc.. It does give any guest reader a certain impression about the site, wouldn't you agree ? It is much more interesting to a visiting guest reader if there was a cross section of different subjects to choose from.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    Ere you, Dot (and carry one), don't you drag me into this ! I said my piece and the boss has already mentioned about the take-over of this site's front page with aggressive and argumentative threads involving religion.

As far as I am concerned each member is entitled to their opinions. Also, as far as I am concerned, if such threads do the same again in the future, then I shall not get involved, as I have already made my comments and observations. I know that I would feel the same if the site's front page was full of threads concerning football, or concerning art etc.. It does give any guest reader a certain impression about the site, wouldn't you agree ? It is much more interesting to a visiting guest reader if there was a cross section of different subjects to choose from.

Maybe we can put a must read on top of the front page , that would educate readers who don't know the dynamics of how threads get posted , and explain that some days religious threads may dominate the page, but not to worry about it, that other days are different, then religious days won't scare them off or give them the impression that some people here like discussing religion. We would not want them to think that, now would we.

Or maybe we could install a program that would automatically limit the shelf life of religious threads to one hour front page shelf life, and then shuffle those awful threads into a twilight zone in the basement of the site. That would protect the perception of the site. Or better yet, a program that would automatically change the language of a religious thread that makes its way onto the front page; you know, change it to German or something. That ought to boost the reputation of the site.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    A thought comes to mind, about people who fear what others think about them. An interesting condition, sometimes the person tries to change, in order to please them. They try to be something they are not. Like an Atheist trying to be a Theist, its not going to work. We are what we are. And we are supposed to be what we are. We just have to be ourselves when we mix with other people. I need not fear being me! I said this to open the suggestion that a website is what it is. We need not try to change it to please others, or fear what others think about it. It is what it is.

Wisdom is " Knowing how it is."

I know how it is here at Forum Garden. I like it, always have. I think its one of the best sites on the internet. Very, very tolerant. Very diverse, religion is no threat to that. Anyone can see over zealous religious people at any site; and they are everywhere ; I have confronted hundreds of them. I don't fear them. I feel for them, but they cannot alter my personage in any manner. And they do not represent religion as a whole. But the reasonable Theist should be tolerated , in my view.

Religion should be a part of an open board , because its a large part of humanity-- simply no doubt about it. Its a piece of the pizza! A huge component of the human consciousness. Its most of the water in the lake , even though its drying out. Religion lives and breathes in humanity , you can't wake up and its not there. You can't close your eyes, snap your finger and its gone ; your fooling yourself. We need not fear it.

A lot of people here can see through religion; I see through it; Its transparent. I also see the fear of this site being perceived as being religious.

Religion may be one of the vital attractions here. Drawing interest from the masses. Why else would some religious threads grow, if not interest. Look at Pahu's thread , how it grows over the years. At times I myself have had monster religious threads on the internet at various sites. They just grow and grow and never seem to die; like they have a life of their own. They attract and draw interest , and I am given the opportunity to meet many people and relate with them. That is a joy ; not to be taken lightly. But not to be feared. Why try to hide a thread that the public is bonding with? There is no need to be ashamed of threads like that.

I wish I could tell you of the threads I have had like that over the years , in the old days. Those threads drew a lot of people to the sites ; they are good for sites, they do not ruin the reputation ; only foolishness does that. Religion is not a spoiler; the people who follow religion , they are the component that perverts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast