+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Saint Teresa of Calcutta

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time
    05:47 AM

Re: Saint Teresa of Calcutta

It only bothers me if I let it do so. I can take a different view point.

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time

It only becomes mine if I let it become mine. I can choose.

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time

oops double

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time
    01:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    It only bothers me if I let it do so. I can take a different view point.
    You can choose not to do anything or not let it bother you - bit harder to do if it has a direct impact on the way you live your life. What the pope says about contraception and abortion, for example, doesn't just affect those who are catholic.

Best defence I heard of mother theresa (tv discussion of the matter) is that she was behaving as a catholic. to non catholics it can seem she took pleasure in the suffering of others as it helped them on their way to find god. It's a bit like converting heretic by torturing them - all for the good of their souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JxnUW7Wk4

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time

Its a bit like I found in the book "Living the Secular Life". At one point the author sounded very much like a fundamentalist evangelical atheist. Yes far to many Christians sound like they think they have the only handle on the truth but that is what the some atheists also seem to believe. I resent anyone telling me they and they alone have the sole handle on the truth. They have no Idea what I have experienced. They were my experiences not their's. Science has a good deal of the truth but not by any means anywhere close to the totality. There are great mysteries in the universe and it is unlikely we will ever know everything. As a Christian humanist I do not proselytise. I try to live what I believe and the secular humanists are entitled to love as they believe. Pontificating on either side is a no no.

Local Date
    12-19-2018
    Local Time
    12:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    You can choose not to do anything or not let it bother you - bit harder to do if it has a direct impact on the way you live your life. What the pope says about contraception and abortion, for example, doesn't just affect those who are catholic.

Best defence I heard of mother theresa (tv discussion of the matter) is that she was behaving as a catholic. to non catholics it can seem she took pleasure in the suffering of others as it helped them on their way to find god. It's a bit like converting heretic by torturing them - all for the good of their souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JxnUW7Wk4
    The contraception and abortion beliefs are not just a catholic issue.
    The abortion is across the board religious issue especially for christiansof all denominations.

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    The contraception and abortion beliefs are not just a catholic issue.
    The abortion is across the board religious issue especially for christiansof all denominations.
    True I was just using it as an example. Protestant demoninations are supposed to be able to find their own way to god and follow their own cionscience catholics are not. Actually fundamemtalists protestants are every bit a nasty as anyone else they're the ones in the past that tried to ban christmas, singing and dancing and laughter. Laugh and the devil gets in you're not put on earth to be ahppy but suffer and die - bit extreme but I actually know peopple who think like that. Miserable blighters the lot of them.

I don't really care that much when it comes to saints and such it's just the attitude you get that no one is supposed to comment or criticise and because as a non-believer you're supposed to just suck it all up without comment.

posted by ted
    Its a bit like I found in the book "Living the Secular Life". At one point the author sounded very much like a fundamentalist evangelical atheist. Yes far to many Christians sound like they think they have the only handle on the truth but that is what the some atheists also seem to believe. I resent anyone telling me they and they alone have the sole handle on the truth. They have no Idea what I have experienced. They were my experiences not their's. Science has a good deal of the truth but not by any means anywhere close to the totality. There are great mysteries in the universe and it is unlikely we will ever know everything. As a Christian humanist I do not proselytise. I try to live what I believe and the secular humanists are entitled to love as they believe. Pontificating on either side is a no no.
    Actually I'd agree with you there I've got little time for fundamental atheists (for want of a better term) they suffer from the same kind of arrogance as the religious version, overly impressed with their perspicacity and wisdom. Religion is so much part of the fabric of our culture I think evryone should study it but not in seperate religious schools but sitting next to people of all faiths.

came across this mob

http://www.atheist-experience.com/

Some of the discussions on you tube are fascinating but as a non-american it's also like looking in on a different planet, they talk about "coming out" as an atheist which is really weird.

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time

gmc I do agree that discussions should involve all faiths together. I would like to add though Roman Catholics make a choice personally. When they start trying to impose their beliefs my response might be different. I do not expect others to believe as I do. We must each follow our own path.

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time
    02:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post

....perspicacity and wisdom.....
    Perspicasity. Thats my new word of the week. Havent heard it used since Leonard Sachs, in the BBC's "The Good Old Days"
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    12-18-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Perspicasity. Thats my new word of the week. Havent heard it used since Leonard Sachs, in the BBC's "The Good Old Days"
    I find myself using words in a sentence looking at it and then thinking I'd better just check that word means what I think it does and I've used it in the right context. Perspicacity is one such word I suspect I used to be more knowledgeable in the past but mu memopry is fading.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast