I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    09:10 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Intelligent design and creationism

I have seen examples of how life can stop, how my own life can be given a stopwatch and the doctors say that I will not go beyond 6 months. I have now personally seen how God can take you beyond what limits men put on you. Even take your understanding beyond that of men , and help you peer into the blind spots , that put together the puzzles in life ; that helps you see what God has intended not to be seen. then he places you on the verge of knowing;
    By what kind of perverted thinking are you grateful to god for being allowed to live longer than the doctors said you might and see it as proof of his mercy when he must have given the disease to you in the first place. It's like being grateful to a torturer for loosening the rack a bit.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    02:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    By what kind of perverted thinking are you grateful to god for being allowed to live longer than the doctors said you might and see it as proof of his mercy when he must have given the disease to you in the first place. It's like being grateful to a torturer for loosening the rack a bit.

Well I'll just use your perverted label of my thinking; yes I am grateful for God loosening the rack a bit for me. And I don't care that you do not share in my gratefulness.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    02:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post

I could have responded like this;

if a god being gave me temporary life with a disease for about 70 years , then allowed me to die, and then he gave me eternal life later to never have any disease of any kind again forever, I'll take it. It still would be the greatest deal ever given to me. I'll take the 70 years of disease prison any day. And I pity the person looking at this deal, if they some how judged it as being a perverted deal, because I know their view of this must be jacked up if they would not leap on the same deal.

Hey , he can loosen the rack, loosen my brains, shrink my penis; I can live with all that for the ultimate freedom God is giving.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

A belief in an afterlife is the result of an indoctrinated fear of the inevitable end to life. This is what Religion is, and always has been. A means to control people by inventing superstitions of the Bogeyman - musch like, "If you're not good Sant will put you on his Naughty list & you won't get any presents". It's a line we have heard so often. Consider how it works. A fictional character, albeit based on a genuine historical philanthropist is suddenly deemed to be compiling a list of any slightest misdeed & to later hold this in judgement of a child. Take a fiction & modify it into a threat in order to control the masses. That's Religion for you.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    03:10 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    A belief in an afterlife is the result of an indoctrinated fear of the inevitable end to life. This is what Religion is, and always has been. A means to control people by inventing superstitions of the Bogeyman - musch like, "If you're not good Sant will put you on his Naughty list & you won't get any presents". It's a line we have heard so often. Consider how it works. A fictional character, albeit based on a genuine historical philanthropist is suddenly deemed to be compiling a list of any slightest misdeed & to later hold this in judgement of a child. Take a fiction & modify it into a threat in order to control the masses. That's Religion for you.
    Wish I could convince myself to be an atheist where there is no right or wrong. All the missed opportunities for personal profit and pleasure.
    "The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge.".

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    04:10 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Wish I could convince myself to be an atheist
    It requires more than wishful thinking. It requires work to educate oneself and then more work to actually debate within oneself new facts vs old myths. Then, additional work is required to separate the two once distinguished. It is not a chore taken lightly, nor should it be taken up by anyone who tends to be lazy.
    where there is no right or wrong.
    Lastly, it requires determination and fortitude to decide right and wrong for oneself. Morality is not god-given, it has never been. We know this because we now know that there is no God. We've examined and debated this issue extensively and have found it, not just wanting, but to be an absurd way of thinking in the 21st century mostly exclusive to those who wish to remain ignorant. Morality is a human construct produced by experiencing life as it has unfolded over time
    All the missed opportunities for personal profit and pleasure.
    On the other hand, maybe it's best to remain ignorant.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    01:10 PM

He neat topic. I do believe in the reality of God. God is a experiential reality. God is not a being and our ancestors personified the idea of God as it was their only way of doing it. God is a spirit. He/she/itIs not a person. No arms or legs no magice but I believe in the experiencial reality of God and really couldn't care less what others thin. Talk about educated. I've spent some 11 years at university education. Science is simply not able to deal with that. Generally religion was not created to control i. I was created to supply a possible certainnty in a world where certainty is not possible.. And yes there are many scientists who deny a God existence but there are also scientits who accept the reality of God...

Any way " Job" was an attempt to explain evil in the world. Not the best job but a= good poetry. Evolution is the best explanation we have to date and I accept that.. There is mre to life than empericism and science simply cannot handle that.. Some people's rfeligion is a God belief and some folk's religion is science.

There really is no intelligence in intelligent design and creationism.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I could have responded like this;

if a god being gave me temporary life with a disease for about 70 years , then allowed me to die, and then he gave me eternal life later to never have any disease of any kind again forever, I'll take it. It still would be the greatest deal ever given to me. I'll take the 70 years of disease prison any day. And I pity the person looking at this deal, if they some how judged it as being a perverted deal, because I know their view of this must be jacked up if they would not leap on the same deal.

Hey , he can loosen the rack, loosen my brains, shrink my penis; I can live with all that for the ultimate freedom God is giving.
    If you want to believe in a god being and it gives you comfort good luck to you for myself I see no evidence whatsoever that there is one.

posted by tude dog
    Wish I could convince myself to be an atheist where there is no right or wrong. All the missed opportunities for personal profit and pleasure.
    Why do you think morality only comes from a belief in god? Atheists take responsibility for their actions the religious have a good excuse handy - god wished it.

Seems to me the other way around as a christian you can commit any sin you like, kill as many people as you like and then on your deathbed ask god to to forgive your sins and go to heaven. Come to that isis seem to have little trouble with their conscience carrying out god's work.

You don't need to convince yourself to be an atheist it's not an alternative religion you can convert to. Put simply do you believe god exists. answer Yes and you are religious and you can then choose your particular brand. Answer no and you are an atheist free to make your own moral decisions and stop living in fear of eternal damnation and make the best of the life you lead.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    01:10 PM

It seems to me that morality in many ways is a cultural issue. Folks in Papua New Guine had no qualslms about eat in their enemies. The problem was that some came down with "Croyts-feld Jacobs disease. To them it was not a morality issue. Margaet Mede studied a grooup in the south pacific where the children twere tolk it was ok to play sexual games including intercourse. Once again a local cultural thing. Jesus, if one so believes, did not bring a system of morals but showed us a new way of living for everyones benefit. Some religions seem to place a great deal of emphasis on sex. Ithink it is probably a tribal thing. It is ok to have kids just make sure they are from our tribe. In the time of Jwesus of Nazareth poligamy was quite in order and had no moral implications whatsoever. Daved had both many wives and many concubines. He was a busy man. It's a wonder he had t\ime for affairs of state. Actually that was Solomon.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-20-2017
    Local Time
    04:10 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    He neat topic. I do believe in the reality of God. God is a experiential reality.
    IOW, the result of cult brainwashing.
    God is not
    True!
    a being and our ancestors personified the idea of God as it was their only way of doing it.
    Doing what?
    God is a spirit.
    There's no such thing
    He/she/itIs not a person. No arms or legs no magice but I believe in the experiencial reality of God
    So, in the face of all reality you prefer to believe in a storybook character because you were told that your emotions are your senses connecting to an imaginary person.
    and really couldn't care less what others thin.
    Obviously!
    Talk about educated. I've spent some 11 years at university education.
    Doing what? You certainly weren't learning anything that has to do with reality or communication skills.
    Science is simply not able to deal with that.
    Deal with what? A make-believe person known as some sort of spiritual being that created life just so "he/she/it" can play ridiculous games with its creation?
    Generally religion was not created to control i.
    I have no idea what this means.
    And yes there are many scientists who deny a God existence but there are also scientits who accept the reality of God...
    There is no "reality of God".

good poetry. There is mre to life than empericism and science simply cannot handle that..
    Are you attempting to say that there is another realm operating in the background of life that only special people and dead people get to see? Seriously?
    Some people's rfeligion is a God belief and some folk's religion is science.
    This is simply an absurd statement and exposes your complete lack of any understanding of what science is.

Let's try this; If I listen to music a lot or read lots of books, I may be doing so because I enjoy it, or perhaps I'm a musician or writer and am examining the work of my peers as a discipline. IT DOES NOT MEAN that either music or reading is a religion I practice. Science might be an interest, or a hobby, or a job, or a discipline, but it is not a religion and the people who ascribe to the findings of the scientific method are not followers of science, they are people who are, for reasons of their own, interested in scientific findings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast