Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Religious and Political mindsets, and Cultism - A somewhat general discussion

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    02:06 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: Religious and Political mindsets, and Cultism - A somewhat general discussion

Groupthink invades every aspect of society. Humans are actually tuned to groupthink. we are pack animals. Very few of us are truly loners. For centuries, perhaps even millennia, we have had family and community to be our tribe or pack. We now exist in a world where many of us may chose whatever tribe we will belong to.
    Many turn to various organizations and nations and even sports teams for tribes to belong to.
    Belonging transcends reason.
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Re: Religious and Political mindsets, and Cultism - A somewhat general discussion

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Groupthink invades every aspect of society. Humans are actually tuned to groupthink. we are pack animals. Very few of us are truly loners. For centuries, perhaps even millennia, we have had family and community to be our tribe or pack. We now exist in a world where many of us may chose whatever tribe we will belong to.
    Many turn to various organizations and nations and even sports teams for tribes to belong to.
    Belonging transcends reason.
    Do you mind citing some sources for your beliefs?

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Do you mind citing some sources for your beliefs?
    Those are observations, not beliefs.
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Those are observations, not beliefs.
    Impossible and therefore completely untrue if you're claiming them yourself. So do you mind citing the papers where the observations are documented?

OTOH, it could be more equivocation.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time

Impossible and therefore completely untrue if you're claiming them yourself. So do you mind citing the papers where the observations are documented?

OTOH, it could be more equivocation.
    What, pray tell, is impossible?

But to your request, here are some interesting reads on the concept:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/op...roupthink.html

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/328/5981/987

http://science.sciencemag.org/conten...8-ec2b27ffcf0a

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...cc4.12029/full

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...7.00296.x/full
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

I thought my post was very clear. What is impossible is for any individual to make the statement that
    "Groupthink invades every aspect of society. Humans are actually tuned to groupthink. we are pack animals. Very few of us are truly loners. For centuries, perhaps even millennia, we have had family and community to be our tribe or pack. We now exist in a world where many of us may chose whatever tribe we will belong to.
    Belonging transcends reason."
    based on personal observation unless said person has dedicated years of very specific research on the various subjects mentioned. Even then without the proper credentials the findings would be suspect.

All I'm asking for is to see the research. Alternatively, you could have pulled this out of the old poop-shoot as one intuitively inclined. In any case, either provide the research to back up your many claims contained in your statement or tell us you're guessing. Either will suffice.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time

I thought my post was very clear. What is impossible is for any individual to make the statement that
    "Groupthink invades every aspect of society. Humans are actually tuned to groupthink. we are pack animals. Very few of us are truly loners. For centuries, perhaps even millennia, we have had family and community to be our tribe or pack. We now exist in a world where many of us may chose whatever tribe we will belong to.
    Belonging transcends reason."
    based on personal observation unless said person has dedicated years of very specific research on the various subjects mentioned. Even then without the proper credentials the findings would be suspect.

All I'm asking for is to see the research. Alternatively, you could have pulled this out of the old poop-shoot as one intuitively inclined. In any case, either provide the research to back up your many claims contained in your statement or tell us you're guessing. Either will suffice.
    Well, I've spent sixty years or so personally observing the humans within my universe. Having done so, I think I am entitled to arrive at some conclusions based upon those observations.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Well, I've spent sixty years or so personally observing the humans within my universe. Having done so, I think I am entitled to arrive at some conclusions based upon those observations.
    That would be door number two or the subjective intuition answer, which means you're projecting your very limited and untrained personal observations onto all of the human existence.

That's all I was asking for. Thank you!

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    That would be door number two or the subjective intuition answer, which means you're projecting your very limited and untrained personal observations onto all of the human existence.

That's all I was asking for. Thank you!
    I actually have some educational certification on such subjects as well, but I don't feel that those are really relevant to this particular interaction.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast