I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    04:22 PM

The brain " Hardwired to believe in God."

I saw this short interesting suggestion today;

Why we are born to believe in God: It's wired into the brain, says psychologist | Daily Mail Online

I have always felt, in my adult thinking, that human sub consciousness may be just as powerful as our consciousness itself. Seriously affecting our awareness. We can't help a lot of our thinking, and some of it we can, and who knows the difference between that thin line of reality. I happen to believe that the " Thought of God" is a very strong one, in fact I think that is just obvious. Even many unbelievers in God, still think about " A God at times." And conversely, I think many believers in God, question the existence of God at times , they just are not comfortable admitting to such. I know I have questioned it during my belief. And those questions did not harm my belief.

How did my belief get there in the first place? Well first the obvious;

The way I was raised was a factor
    My learning was a factor
    My view of this world became a factor
    My emotional content seemed to develop along the lines of belief , more so than unbelief
    The majority of my peers were believers
    I was drawn to the bible , seemed drawn to God really, so its easy for me to give this " Hard wired concept" Some notice.

Listen, I could say the same thing about my relations with women , instead of becoming gay in my life, I was just drawn toward women, it just seemed natural to me, or one could say, " It was just for me." Just like eating meats, liking sports, reading, writing; the list of being hard wired does not just include God. But why not include God and that be accepted as " Normal?" I have nothing against gays or vegetarians, but my life just went along as it did, and whenever the first thought of God popped up, it just did.

Can the brain have thoughts before we even think of them? Interesting premise I think. Gets back into the question of human will and if its really free or not.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Re: The brain " Hardwired to believe in God."

The author surprised me in his article when he suggested that some ardent Atheist resisted the idea of having a transplant from murderers because of the notion of there being hard wired tendencies there in the organ of the donor. I guess even I would think twice about that, which some may view as a frakenstien fear.

My life even highly suggest that I may have been hardwired concerning God, as far back as I can recall. I know I had to be somewhere between 5 and 10, just to take a guess and speculate on it. I don't think I had Atheist thoughts back then, but I just can't be for sure about it. Those came much later as I was exposed to secular knowledge about religion and God in some schools. The stronger thoughts will just kind of persuade one along their evolutionary thought process; and I certainly do consider thoughts of a God as evolutionary and powerful. More powerful than man in my view. To consider things more powerful than anything else that you know of is evolutionary and in many cases radical.

Which is more radical, belief or unbelief is a matter of opinion. Before I walked into the door of belief, did I already believe? Before I thought about God, was I already thinking of him? Well the right to believe was already there , as was the right not to believe. I even tended to date only believers at first, why was that?

I mean , I always have liked the thought of God; it seemed a good thing to me, still does, although I have dated some Atheist later in my life , because I saw more values that I admired in them. I welcome those values and let nothing diminish them from my mature outlook in life.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

So can we be " Predisposed to belief in God", or be made inclined to things like that in advance; I think absolutely! Its not far from preference or inclination. Partiality is in the same area. We are just made liable to our future. Can you see some of that? This can happen to so many of us in so many differing areas, not just belief in God. So its no strange thing when we can see it happening with God. And I think this is an important point.

is is well-rested.

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time
    05:22 PM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    So can we be " Predisposed to belief in God"
    So if it's a hardwiring issue...why do different religions hate each other? And why should Christianity be any more relevant than Hinduism? Apparently they are all part of the same biological instinct.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    So if it's a hardwiring issue...why do different religions hate each other? And why should Christianity be any more relevant than Hinduism? Apparently they are all part of the same biological instinct.

Well I would say because hate is also hardwired into humanity ; its just there. I mean it comes out of religions toward each other, because its in them already. All religions do not hate each other, but enough of them perhaps do. And in my view, no religion is of more relevance than another, Hinduism is much older than Christianity, and may be more tolerant. Religion is just as much an instinct as hate. Why do some religions love each other, well because its hardwired in them to express that.

We love and hate, its a mixture of blessings and curses I would think.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Mickiel great topic. Have had computer problems of late. Leaving for 2 months in Europe next week. As to the topic they have found very ancient prehistoric graves that clealy had some religious symbols of a religious natlure.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Mickiel great topic. Have had computer problems of late. Leaving for 2 months in Europe next week. As to the topic they have found very ancient prehistoric graves that clealy had some religious symbols of a religious natlure.

Well enjoy your trip, I wish I could visit Europe, sounds grand!

Yes it seems the hardwiring started in prehistoric times; well began with humans beginning. I think then we can begin to say that belief in God is a part of human nature , as is unbelief in him. Both are just there. We must be fair and say that unbelief in God is just as much a hardwiring.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-19-2018
    Local Time
    12:22 AM
    Gifts Beer Cake

If it's part of Human Nature to be Hard Wired to believe in a God, then how come so many people don't believe in a God & who never have believed in a God, or even had no notion of a God? If it is Hard Wired, then why do those who follow Religions feel such a need to drum it into everyone else when if it were Hard Wired they would already believe anyway & not need persuading.

Also, I find your comment in the initial post about people 'becoming' Gay, but being 'Hard Wired as believing in a God highly offensive. It is a known fact that people don't 'become' Gay, in the same way as people don't 'become' Black. They are born that way. Religion is the primary cause of hatred on this earth caused by one person inflicting his/her Religion on someone else who would otherwise not wanted any part of it. As with any prejudice, it is learned, not innate.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    If it's part of Human Nature to be Hard Wired to believe in a God, then how come so many people don't believe in a God & who never have believed in a God, or even had no notion of a God? If it is Hard Wired, then why do those who follow Religions feel such a need to drum it into everyone else when if it were Hard Wired they would already believe anyway & not need persuading.

Also, I find your comment in the initial post about people 'becoming' Gay, but being 'Hard Wired as believing in a God highly offensive. It is a known fact that people don't 'become' Gay, in the same way as people don't 'become' Black. They are born that way. Religion is the primary cause of hatred on this earth caused by one person inflicting his/her Religion on someone else who would otherwise not wanted any part of it. As with any prejudice, it is learned, not innate.

I find your narrow mindedness about people only being gay from birth as offensive , many made a choice to be gay after being heteralsexual first in their lives.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-18-2018
    Local Time

Question Re: The brain " Hardwired to believe in God."

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I find your narrow mindedness about people only being gay from birth as offensive , many made a choice to be gay after being heteralsexual first in their lives.
    Not to get off track, but I will mention that in my view, many people are born gay, some made an active choice to be gay because they liked it, and there are some who were heavily influenced by things that just happened to them in their lives- or they have very personal reasons to being gay. And I personally don't even think its limited to those reasons alone; but I do think being gay is a hardwiring. And in many cases , for some, I don't think its easy to be gay , in some areas of experience in their lives. Gay people are just as human as anyone else, can be just as dynamic as any human , and just as frail. And I wish I could have thought these things about that lifestyle , all my early life , but I just had to learn and grow, in order to absorb a better understanding.

And that is what I really want in my life now, a better understanding. Because I know the infection of a terrible understanding , and that has been all around us all our lives.

The belief in God is no different , we have every right to better understand why we believe in a God. People infringe their misunderstandings on our lives all the time , that is just how it is ; and wisdom is just " Knowing how that is and can get!"

You know, I have never really sat down and talked to a person about what it is like to be gay; not even once in my life that I recall. But I have had discussions about belief in God nearly all my life ; never even talked with anyone about why they are in what ever sexual manifestation they live in ; I think I have kind of viewed it as private and very personal.

Interesting, to say the least. I am comfortable having speaks with you about your politics , beliefs , and various things, but get uncomfortable when its your personal sexual attractions;

well perhaps one day that conversation will come. May be long overdue ; I could use more understanding in that topic for sure.

The Christian church is loosing their young over this issue;

https://www.prri.org/research/generations-at-odds/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast