I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    08:59 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Game of Thrones

I never bothered to watch this until this year, so I more or less binge-watched. I found the show to be quite entertaining and fun. There's lots of symbolism in this show and that sort of thing always intrigues me. 'Oh, but you're a literalist', you say? Not quite! Only in word meaning, which I think is the best way to interpret most dialogue.

Symbolism serves a dual purpose, that being: 1)what the storytellers intend and 2)how the audience applies their own interpretation of it, and whether or not the two jive. The last part isn't really all that important. How the audience applies their interpretation, as unconscious as it may be, is paramount and what peaks interest by it.

There's no question in my mind that this show is centered around a mythical story highlighting female strength and courage and wisdom and mysticism. Many shows today are. I am the father of four females and so this interests me. My daughters are about as smart and wise as anyone I've ever known. I'd have no problem at all leaving my fate in their hands.

There are many easily decipherable symbols in GoT such as Dragons, which symbolize great power and strength. These are ancient or historical cultural symbols that have acknowledged universal meaning. However, there are lots of other symbols and representations of contemporary significance there.

Does anyone care to share what they see in GoT?

I see, for example, that The Army of the Dead represents religion and Christianity in particular. Agree or disagree?

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    I never bothered to watch this until this year, so I more or less binge-watched. I found the show to be quite entertaining and fun. There's lots of symbolism in this show and that sort of thing always intrigues me. 'Oh, but you're a literalist', you say? Not quite! Only in word meaning, which I think is the best way to interpret most dialogue.

Symbolism serves a dual purpose, that being: 1)what the storytellers intend and 2)how the audience applies their own interpretation of it, and whether or not the two jive. The last part isn't really all that important. How the audience applies their interpretation, as unconscious as it may be, is paramount and what peaks interest by it.

There's no question in my mind that this show is centered around a mythical story highlighting female strength and courage and wisdom and mysticism. Many shows today are. I am the father of four females and so this interests me. My daughters are about as smart and wise as anyone I've ever known. I'd have no problem at all leaving my fate in their hands.

There are many easily decipherable symbols in GoT such as Dragons, which symbolize great power and strength. These are ancient or historical cultural symbols that have acknowledged universal meaning. However, there are lots of other symbols and representations of contemporary significance there.

Does anyone care to share what they see in GoT?

I see, for example, that The Army of the Dead represents religion and Christianity in particular. Agree or disagree?
    I just thought that they were Republicans.
    Though, being revived to mindlessly follow the supreme leader while you whole being slowly falls apart? Well you may have something there.

I read the book, and it was a good fun read. I had actually expected GRRM to finish the books, so I didn't watch the series for a couple of years, wanting to see how the books turned out.
    After I realized what he had done, I gave in and started watching the series.

Some really bizarre plot twists, and some great acting kept me watching. Good escapists stuff.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

Don't forget the dying an then becoming born-again with an empty shell aspect of it.

All battles, of course, are representative of inner struggles concerning ethics and morality that go along with the hero's journey. which all the main characters are on.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:59 AM
    Gifts Beer Cake

I've never watched it, nor do I have any inclination to do so. I don't even know what it's supposed to be about. The only TV programmes I watch are those, usually on iPlayer, such as PMQs (always good for a laugh), Question Time, Have I Got News For You & occasionally Mock The Week. I used to like QI, but much as I like Sandy Tocsvig, it's not the same with her presenting it. The show was always Stephen Fry's. The only use I have for my TV is as a Computer Monitor, connected to my PC via HDMI.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:59 AM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Watched the first series because it was on sky one I refuse to subscribe to sky atlantic so haven't seen any more. I've always thought real history was more unbelieveable than anything made up and fantasy has never appealed to me although david gemmell was a better proponent of that mix of real history combined with fantastical elements.

Someone gave me a box set of the first six series so I might indulge in a binge watch I suspect Imight be missng something.

George nmartin is one od tose wroters whose style I can't take to- read one of the first books and also one of his detective novels but I just don;tm like his writing style, couldn't explain why just can't thole it.

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:59 PM
    Gifts Beer

I have watched it all and loved it.
    I don't often take much away from programs, just watch for the escape.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

These are stories that are reflective of our culture and attitudes (and technology). That's what makes them interesting for me.

Any guesses who ultimately ends up sitting on the Throne? I know who I think it should be.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    These are stories that are reflective of our culture and attitudes (and technology). That's what makes them interesting for me.

Any guesses who ultimately ends up sitting on the Throne? I know who I think it should be.
    It will be interesting to find out.
    I think Sansa will be the one to take out Cersei and end up with the throne.

Littlefinger knew her potential, but underestimated her. More people will make that mistake.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Anonymous

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    06:59 PM
    Gifts Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Good points Lars.

Would be sweet to see anyone take out that B Cersei. Even her dwarf brother lol.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

+ Reply to Thread