I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    02:18 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Troy

The news has been mumbling about the BBC/Netflix collaboration https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bbc...ty-1202646162/

In an idle moment I thought I'd just check my worst guess was short of the mark and damn right, so it was. Three minutes in, there was Paris and his family riding the ranch on horses. With saddles, bridles and stirrups.

The anachronism is out by 2,500 years at least, they might as well have had dinosaurs wandering in the background. Troy has all the crass carelessness of One Million Years BC without the excuse of reasonable ignorance. I turned it off.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    07:18 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: Troy

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The news has been mumbling about the BBC/Netflix collaboration https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/bbc...ty-1202646162/

In an idle moment I thought I'd just check my worst guess was short of the mark and damn right, so it was. Three minutes in, there was Paris and his family riding the ranch on horses. With saddles, bridles and stirrups.

The anachronism is out by 2,500 years at least, they might as well have had dinosaurs wandering in the background. Troy has all the crass carelessness of One Million Years BC without the excuse of reasonable ignorance. I turned it off.
    Are you suggesting that the Trojans did not have horses until the Greeks gave them one?
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Are you suggesting that the Trojans did not have horses until the Greeks gave them one?
    Good lord no.

To quote Wikipedia, "The stirrup was invented in China in the first few centuries AD and spread westward through the nomadic peoples of Central Eurasia. The use of paired stirrups is credited to the Chinese Jin Dynasty and came to Europe during the Middle Ages. Some argue that the stirrup was one of the basic tools used to create and spread modern civilization, possibly as important as the wheel or printing press."

Troy fell to Agamemnon around 1200 BCE.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Heart Cake

Ah, I've recorded it, maybe I'll not bother watching it.

I see from the comments in your link that no one else has noticed the stirrups error.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time

Good lord no.

To quote Wikipedia, "The stirrup was invented in China in the first few centuries AD and spread westward through the nomadic peoples of Central Eurasia. The use of paired stirrups is credited to the Chinese Jin Dynasty and came to Europe during the Middle Ages. Some argue that the stirrup was one of the basic tools used to create and spread modern civilization, possibly as important as the wheel or printing press."

Troy fell to Agamemnon around 1200 BCE.
    Ah, I have never studied up on the technical history of horsemanship.
    And with all the horse people in my family, not a one caught that, either.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Alexander the Great had his crack Companion Cavalry which made a decisive contribution in several of his battles. All done without stirrups.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    08:18 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

You know what, I would not have noticed could hardly care as long as the story was entertaining. Just this morning I watched a western TV show which in part involved Indians on horseback. Far as I know Indians did not use saddles. Once again if one looked closely a blanket covered the saddle. It would not do to have actors falling off horses.

I never read the Iliad, but the movie seems to not follow the storyline and had other problems.

If I decide to watch any movie my only interest would be if it was entertaining. I will keep in mind that it may not be true to the book.

User Reviews
    What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? - W. C. Fields

A woman drove me to drink and I didn’t even have the decency to thank her. - W. C. Fields

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    You know what, I would not have noticed could hardly care as long as the story was entertaining. Just this morning I watched a western TV show which in part involved Indians on horseback. Far as I know Indians did not use saddles. Once again if one looked closely a blanket covered the saddle. It would not do to have actors falling off horses.

I never read the Iliad, but the movie seems to not follow the storyline and had other problems.

If I decide to watch any movie my only interest would be if it was entertaining. I will keep in mind that it may not be true to the book.

User Reviews
    Yeah, I like entertaining, too,but there is that part of me that twitches when things are off the mark, technically or historically.
    (like when a spaceship stops moving because they used up all their fuel. )
    Or, yeah, injuns using saddles. Or the guy in a Daniel Boone story using a Colt Peacemaker.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Yeah, I like entertaining, too,but there is that part of me that twitches when things are off the mark, technically or historically.
    (like when a spaceship stops moving because they used up all their fuel. )
    Or, yeah, injuns using saddles. Or the guy in a Daniel Boone story using a Colt Peacemaker.
    Or hearing an explosion in space. That always gets me too.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Or hearing an explosion in space. That always gets me too.
    That's the electromagnetic pulse hitting your spacecraft and flexing the joints.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast