I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-26-2014
    Local Time
    04:05 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Gift Beer

Smokers Dilemma

I am convinced that every smoker really wants to quit, but can't, and it's really frustrating for them. They will rationalize by saying "oh I really enjoy it and don't want to quit". Bull---t, they can't get past 24 to 48 hours. My rationalization when I smoked was to say "well, mom and dad both smoked into their 90's and died of something unrelated". I tried hypnosis, group therapy, the patch, Nicorette and I still couldn't get past 48 hours. What bugged me most of all was the fact that I couldn't control it, and yet, I could control most other things in my life, and I am one that likes to be in control.
    Oh boy, I would crawl on broken beer bottles to a 7-11 at three AM to get my Viceroy. I've looked in the car ashtray, in the gutter trying to find a stub to light. Yes, it bothers me today, to sit next to someone smoking that smells like a sewer and I don't enjoy being in a smoked filled room (I leave), but the compassionate side of me understands and knows the problem. 20 years ago I was hospitalized for 5 days and couldn't smoke. With the meds they were giving me, I really didn't want one. That's all I needed. After five days, the desire and craving were gone. Too bad all smokers couldn't just go to sleep for 5 days. I'm convinced that when they woke up the craving would be gone.

Peg
    Currently Offline
    Proud American
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    11:05 PM
    Gifts Car Gift Cocktail Cocktail Cocktail

Re: Smokers Dilemma

I once told the doctor that if he wanted me to stop smoking, put me in the hospital for 3-5 days, keep me sedated, and that might work. He wouldn't go for it LOL. I know a guy who smoked 2 packs a day for years. He went in for a heart attack and the doctor looked down at him and said, "Smoke another cigarette and you will die." It did it for him.

BORN TO BE A RED!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-26-2014
    Local Time
    04:05 AM
    Gifts Gift Boxing Gloves Gift

My Aunt had a massive stroke, she lost the use of the left hand side of her body & was hospitalized for 4 months.
    She had to go into a residential nursing home when she was released, and the first day out of hospital she was back on the ciggies!

Watanya Cecilia
    is at your service!

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    07:05 PM
    Gifts Gift Cake Cocktail Balloons Cake

I have a picture of my cousin and her 3 kids visiting their dad/grandad
    in the hospital dying of lung cancer... and they all have cigarettes!
    (This is years ago when you could, believe it or not, smoke in a hospital!)

My best friend was a smoker almost all the time I knew her, and due to
    her lupus would have to be hospitalized and I'd go visit. This time the
    hospital had "smoking area" and we'd trundle all the way down 5-6 flights,
    her in a wheelchair and me wheeling along the IV bottle. To sit in a room
    with all the other sick hospital patients who had to have a cigarette!!

What a terrible addiction to have.

Tamsen's Dogster Page
    http://www.dogster.com/?27525

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    11:05 PM

Well smokers do enjoy smoking. That is one reason why it is so hard to quit. A smoker saying I just don’t enjoy this so I’m going to try and quit. Has just doomed themselves to fail. First of all. They know they do like it. So they base it on a lie. Then they say they are going to TRY. Setting up a way out before they even start. They should never say “try”. Just do it, or don’t! Their is no shame in failing. But no reason to acknowledge its possibility before starting. Just because you enjoy something is not a good enough reason to risk your and others health. I.E., most would enjoy being rich. That does not excuse them to rob a bank.

TW2005
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Most smokers enjoy smoking, But I DONT enjoy paying for their medical bills even though I dont smoke!

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-26-2014
    Local Time

i am a smoker and i hate the habit i have tried many times to give up and failed i was told to stop or they would not treat me to have my kids so i stopped for 3years 5 weeks after my daughters birth i started again i was so stressed and back at work i had to return to work so early for money reasons wasting money on cigs silly or what now i would love to stop

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-26-2014
    Local Time

Post Re: Smokers Dilemma

I smoked for 30 years or so consuming an average of 20-25 cigs a day. I tried on several occasions to give it up and once even managed for 18 months then I found the lodger dead upstairs and accepted a cigarette without thinking about it. Eventually I went to a `Stop Smoking` course organies by work, where the nurse taking the course actually had the ultimate deterrent - she took my blood pressure, then LET me go outside for a cigarette, then when I returned she took my BP again and it was so much higher the effect was colossal.

Then she said, "And with your weight and hypertension problems, smoking will probably see you die 20 years or so before you need to.....do you want to stay alive to see your children grow up?????!"

WEll, how could I continue smoking after that. I finished the packet I had on me (at 9.15PM on 22 March, 1994 - that`s how well I remember it) and haven`t smoked since.

I report this not to boast about my own achievement but to say I really think if the incentive is good enough, you WILL be able to give up. Good Luck!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-26-2014
    Local Time

thanks for the story you would think i had the message by now but the task is hard but i will try again soon hopfully this time it will work thanks again

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-25-2014
    Local Time
    10:05 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    well.. it took me 7.. or 8 attempts to quit smoking. And considering that nicotine is a highly addictive drug I can see why. But.. I also had to break the routine of when I had a smoke. Jump in the car for work.. lite one up... coffee break.. another one.. have a beer.. smokey time... etc etc... once I decided that I wanted to quit..and that is key, I had to break the routine of when I had a smoke.. that was tuff too.. actually harder than stopping smoking. But, once I broke the routines I found I could quit. That is not saying that everynow and again I don't get the urge to fire one up.. hell.. the other day this person lite up and I smelled it.. ohhhhhh man did that smell wonderful.. but I didn't fall back.. I do feel much better health wise.. soooo.. good luck.. you can do it if you really want to..
    Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast