Cool

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    01:36 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

The European influence on Arab events

Found this today.
    Anyone who wishes to discuss the current affairs of the Middle East should probably find Colonel Lawrence's work useful.

This is an interesting article on the subject.
    Bill Moyers Essay: What We Can Learn From Lawrence of Arabia | Perspectives | BillMoyers.com
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time

Re: The European influence on Arab events

And this is one of the articles to which the previous one refers.
    A Report on Mesopotamia - by T.E. Lawrence

You could almost change references to "The people of England" and "British" to "US" and it is still quite relevant.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    12:36 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Thanks for the links. The articles were very informative. You would think that the western suits would have learned something from their carving up of Africa by drawing arbitrary lines on a map without bothering to learn anything about tribal boundaries and natural divisions. You'd think that someone in DC would have actually read some history books before meddling again.

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    03:36 PM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Thanks for the links. The articles were very informative. You would think that the western suits would have learned something from their carving up of Africa by drawing arbitrary lines on a map without bothering to learn anything about tribal boundaries and natural divisions. You'd think that someone in DC would have actually read some history books before meddling again.
    Well, you see Wandrin, that's why I find it hilarious that the U.S. (in certain circles), is the cause of every ill in the modern world. It's the White Man!

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    08:36 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

In the region of the topic or at least in the same vien, on Facebook today a picture of an elder Native American saying

" Wait, so you are telling me.....that Israel can kill whoever they want...... to take back land they claim was stolen from them..........................................soun ds interesting"
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    03:36 PM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    In the region of the topic or at least in the same vien, on Facebook today a picture of an elder Native American saying

" Wait, so you are telling me.....that Israel can kill whoever they want...... to take back land they claim was stolen from them..........................................soun ds interesting"
    White man speak with forked tongue.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    09:36 PM
    Gifts Gift Beer Balloons Beer Puppy Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    ..... You would think that the western suits would have learned something from their carving up of Africa by drawing arbitrary lines on a map without bothering to learn anything about tribal boundaries and natural divisions. You'd think that someone in DC would have actually read some history books before meddling again.
    I see nothing “arbitrary” about those lines drawn across the surface of the earth, beneath which is bubbling with oil.

Capitalism has no interest in “tribal boundaries” unless the differences between them can be exaggerated, then exploited by an invasion (or “liberation”) - feigning humanitarian concerns - and manipulating the natural resources of that particular land mass. So, with that design “western suits” have “learned from their carving up of Africa” ------- How to do it deftly. Nothing “arbitrary” at all.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    I see nothing “arbitrary” about those lines drawn across the surface of the earth, beneath which is bubbling with oil.

Capitalism has no interest in “tribal boundaries” unless the differences between them can be exaggerated, then exploited by an invasion (or “liberation”) - feigning humanitarian concerns - and manipulating the natural resources of that particular land mass. So, with that design “western suits” have “learned from their carving up of Africa” ------- How to do it deftly. Nothing “arbitrary” at all.
    Just a minor point.
    Those lines may not have entirely "arbitrary" as Lawrence put it, but they were drawn long before the world knew about all the oil that was underneath them.
    I suspect that, had the "civilized nations" of the time known about the oil at the end of the war, the lines would have been drawn quite differently.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    09:36 PM
    Gifts Gift Beer Balloons Beer Puppy Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    ..... Those lines may not have entirely "arbitrary" ... but they were drawn long before the world knew about all the oil that was underneath them. .

In the 1930's large oil reserves were discovered in Kuwait by the US and British .

In the1930's Qatar oil concessions were granted to the Qatar Petroleum Company, a subsidiary of the Iraq Petroleum Company, which was owned by Anglo-Dutch, French, and U.S. interests.

In the 1960's Oman oil reserves were discovered. The border with Oman is still not yet even defined.

In the 1930s the first United Arab Emirates oil company teams carried out preliminary surveys. An onshore concession was granted to Petroleum Development (Trucial Coast) in 1939, and an offshore concession to D'Arcy Exploration Ltd in 1952.

In the 1930's oil was discovered in Bahrain. Its boundary has been contested up to at least 1975.

The boundary with Saudi Arabia, as defined in the 1970s, has still not been publicly announced.

The “neutral zone” between Irak and Saudi Arabia was not settled until earliest 1975.

The U.S., Britain and France have all had their fingers in the pie to de-democratise the region and control the oil fields there.

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    In the 1930's large oil reserves were discovered in Kuwait by the US and British .

In the1930's Qatar oil concessions were granted to the Qatar Petroleum Company, a subsidiary of the Iraq Petroleum Company, which was owned by Anglo-Dutch, French, and U.S. interests.

In the 1960's Oman oil reserves were discovered. The border with Oman is still not yet even defined.

In the 1930s the first United Arab Emirates oil company teams carried out preliminary surveys. An onshore concession was granted to Petroleum Development (Trucial Coast) in 1939, and an offshore concession to D'Arcy Exploration Ltd in 1952.

In the 1930's oil was discovered in Bahrain. Its boundary has been contested up to at least 1975.

The boundary with Saudi Arabia, as defined in the 1970s, has still not been publicly announced.

The “neutral zone” between Irak and Saudi Arabia was not settled until earliest 1975.

The U.S., Britain and France have all had their fingers in the pie to de-democratise the region and control the oil fields there.
    All that may be true, but the regional boundaries we were discussing were the ones drawn up after WWI that divided the former Ottoman Empire.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast