Happy

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    01:14 AM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Re: Story of the peoples of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    You've jogged my memory a bit - I think it was a programme about those extinctions suggesting that humans might not have been quite the devastators they seem to have been and that I've certainly argued they were, in the past. On here iirc, talking about the Clovis spear tip.

I didn't know the timescale of the extinction event in Aus at all, so it's interesting to see. 20,000 years is a heck of a long time in human terms.
    The timeframe is me being cautious, from the earliest date Homo Sapiens could have arrived to the latest plus 2000 years. The extinction event, I would suggest, as an uneducated guess, had a timeframe of perhaps three thousand years at most but nobody has a good pinpoint on when they started. I've been very broad with that span of dates for the start, so as to avoid focusing the discussion on when it actually happened.
    More than 85 percent of Australia's mammals, birds and reptiles weighing over 100 pounds went extinct shortly after the arrival of the first humans, said Miller.

The ocean sediment core showed the southwest is one of the few regions on the Australian continent that had dense forests both 45,000 years ago and today, making it a hotbed for biodiversity, said Miller, also associate director of CU Boulder's Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research.

"It's a region with some of the earliest evidence of humans on the continent, and where we would expect a lot of animals to have lived," Miller said. "Because of the density of trees and shrubs, it could have been one of their last holdouts some 45,000 years ago. There is no evidence of significant climate change during the time of the megafauna extinction."

Humans, not climate change, wiped out Australian megafauna
    That's three months old, reporting a paper from Nature Communications, and it plumps for 45,000 years ago and (it looks to me) less than a 3,000 year process.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    The prevailing winds, and surface ocean currents do not look like they would make an eastbound voyage from Australia to South America very easy.
    If they went south they could ride currents along the Antarctic region to what is now Southern Chile. That would be a long and miserable voyage without power and heat.
    I'm sure I read somewhere - (seven daughters of eve I think) that the genetic makeup of australian aborigines and the natives of tierra del fuego bear remarkable similirities.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    02:14 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere - (seven daughters of eve I think) that the genetic makeup of australian aborigines and the natives of tierra del fuego bear remarkable similirities.
    I'm pretty sure the accepted version based on fairly sparse archaeology is that South Americans walked down from the north, but that genetic studies have boosted the trans-Pacific theory and the matter is back up for debate. chuckle. I think my original question got slightly lost in the wash somewhere: Were there really no incomers to Australia from the north across the sea, when Polynesians were making epic voyages all across the Pacific but not, apparently, to Australia.

So I was wondering if it was a matter of winds and currents pushing the Polynesian wanderers east. Or did they get slaughtered on landing in Australia? Did the Barrier Reef hold them out completely? Or what?
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time
    08:14 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

I was thinking along that line, but had no time currently to research that. next week may be slow at work, so maybe I can do so.
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

I'm pretty sure the accepted version based on fairly sparse archaeology is that South Americans walked down from the north, but that genetic studies have boosted the trans-Pacific theory and the matter is back up for debate. chuckle. I think my original question got slightly lost in the wash somewhere: Were there really no incomers to Australia from the north across the sea, when Polynesians were making epic voyages all across the Pacific but not, apparently, to Australia.

So I was wondering if it was a matter of winds and currents pushing the Polynesian wanderers east. Or did they get slaughtered on landing in Australia? Did the Barrier Reef hold them out completely? Or what?
    The winds would not have favored bringing them to Australia, it seems.
    Ocean Currents
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

A quick search turned this up: The Enigma of the Natives of Tierra del Fuego
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

The winds would not have favored bringing them to Australia, it seems.
    Ocean Currents
    Looking at the currents and the proximity of Aus to New Guinea it's hard to believe there was negligible communication. Hey ho. It's an interesting area of research, that's for sure and it seems there's a fair bit of research going on - you hear new stuff really quite often these days.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The timeframe is me being cautious, from the earliest date Homo Sapiens could have arrived to the latest plus 2000 years. The extinction event, I would suggest, as an uneducated guess, had a timeframe of perhaps three thousand years at most but nobody has a good pinpoint on when they started. I've been very broad with that span of dates for the start, so as to avoid focusing the discussion on when it actually happened.
    More than 85 percent of Australia's mammals, birds and reptiles weighing over 100 pounds went extinct shortly after the arrival of the first humans, said Miller.

The ocean sediment core showed the southwest is one of the few regions on the Australian continent that had dense forests both 45,000 years ago and today, making it a hotbed for biodiversity, said Miller, also associate director of CU Boulder's Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research.

"It's a region with some of the earliest evidence of humans on the continent, and where we would expect a lot of animals to have lived," Miller said. "Because of the density of trees and shrubs, it could have been one of their last holdouts some 45,000 years ago. There is no evidence of significant climate change during the time of the megafauna extinction."

Humans, not climate change, wiped out Australian megafauna
    That's three months old, reporting a paper from Nature Communications, and it plumps for 45,000 years ago and (it looks to me) less than a 3,000 year process.
    Interesting article. Thanks. Imperceptible overkill is an interesting idea. I also wonder if the Australian fauna at that time didn't have a fear of humans, like the dodo or some of the NZ fauna. That wouldn't have helped and could have led to a very rapid human population explosion. 3,000 years seems to me to be quite a short time to wipe out that number of species over that much territory - but entirely possible, I suppose. edit: Especially if lunch just lumbers up to the fire and looks at you dozily...

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-16-2018
    Local Time

Looking at the currents and the proximity of Aus to New Guinea it's hard to believe there was negligible communication. Hey ho. It's an interesting area of research, that's for sure and it seems there's a fair bit of research going on - you hear new stuff really quite often these days.
    I guess it depends on who was doing the sailing, and when. The Polynesians seafarers where much different people than the earlier trekkers who seem to have taken root in Australia and New Guinea. And while Hyerdahl may have proved it could be done, sailing off to distant continents would have been an arduous voyage, claiming the lives of many who attempted it. The early sailors were likely island hoppers, and the few who found their way to distant locations were likely those who for one reason or another were taken off course and survived long enough to get somewhere else.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    I guess it depends on who was doing the sailing, and when. The Polynesians seafarers where much different people than the earlier trekkers who seem to have taken root in Australia and New Guinea. And while Hyerdahl may have proved it could be done, sailing off to distant continents would have been an arduous voyage, claiming the lives of many who attempted it. The early sailors were likely island hoppers, and the few who found their way to distant locations were likely those who for one reason or another were taken off course and survived long enough to get somewhere else.
    Then where they ended up would depend on the ocean currents and prevailing winds at the time. You get palm trees on the west coast of scotand that grew from coconuts carried on the gulf stream which is quite incredible when you consider the distances involved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast