I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    01:54 AM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Re: Religious war

Christians have always murdered & tortured in the name of 'Peace & Love' & the one & only Divine word of God. Muslims have always done the same. Each has different sects within themselves. Each accuses the other of being heretics / infidels - yet they all claim to believe in the same God. They have the same characters in their scriptures. If each & every one believes that theirs is the only 'True' way, isn't it a bit arrogant to denounce their belief as being wrong?

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Christians have always murdered & tortured in the name of 'Peace & Love' & the one & only Divine word of God. Muslims have always done the same. Each has different sects within themselves. Each accuses the other of being heretics / infidels - yet they all claim to believe in the same God. They have the same characters in their scriptures. If each & every one believes that theirs is the only 'True' way, isn't it a bit arrogant to denounce their belief as being wrong?
    If they could actually demonstrate the truth of it there would be no problem. Besides is it not rather arrogant of them to demand that their beliefs be sacrosanct and protected by the law of the land from ridicule? If god is threatened by laughter he has only himselef to blame. Nowadays of someone hears voices we judge them to be insane in the past they could create religions. If I ask a mormon if they find the special underwear more beneficial in winter am I making a friendly inquiry or taking the piss. Of the two mormon bishops I used to know one laughed and the other took offence, which one was most comfortable in his faith in your opinion.

If denouncing their beliefs as wrong or quite frankly plain ridiculous provokes an aggressive response as it usually gets or if their punishment of proselyte is to have them shunned or worse are we not right to question their beliefs or should we just keep quiet and let fear win.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time
    05:54 PM

The only legal place to speak of religion should be in the constitution as a guarantee of religious for all and including those of no faith.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-22-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    The only legal place to speak of religion should be in the constitution as a guarantee of religious for all and including those of no faith.
    I'm not american or candian but you just wrote goes against the right of free speech you don't have the right to tell anyone here they can or cannot speak about religion. As a non american I can say what I like about religion and politics anywhere I like.

Besides that what do you say to people who believe that the laws of god supercede those of man and that is their moral justification for objecting to, for example lbgt people having the same rights as them or women having free access to family planning clinics and who when they get the chance infringe on the rights of others when it coms to education, health care or even just the right to live their lives as they choose.

The problem I find when talking about religion is that most religious people cannot talk about the basic prroblem - why do they believe there is a god? To me an obvious question and a fascinating subject but the answer seems always to come back to I believe it. It's a good enough reason but they shouldn't be surprised when others are not convinced or be surprised when being told their beliefs should be respected and not challenged because they are religious beliefs is met with derision.

Ted
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-21-2017
    Local Time
    05:54 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    gmc perhaps I worded that incorrectly because I go along with most of what you say. I believe in total free speach as long as it is not stirring people to violence. If that is an infringement on their right of free speacg so be it. That is what happens when you live in community. There have to be some rules and regulations to make the comunity operate smoothly.. As for the rest I really have no issue. As for God I can agree h/she/it is not provable in the scientific view. Hoveever I see God as an experiential reality.not a being to be proven or disproven.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14