I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    08:47 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Religious war

I shall try doing this from memory rather than looking anything up but the downside is that I can recall very little of the facts.

There is, possibly, a parallel between the current unrest in the Middle East and the most lethal war in the whole of the 19th century, one which killed more people than the Great War. It doesn't often get mentioned, but it was a religious war and it killed about 40 million people.

It was started, and fought, by a group of fundamentalist evangelical Christians who were attempting to convert the population of China to their extremist form of Christianity. I have it in mind that it happened in the 1880s but I might be wrong. I've even forgotten what it's generally called in the history books.

Forty million dead, and the whole war entirely forgotten by people at large. They were, admittedly, foreigners, but even so.

I can't add much detail, not without looking. But I do think it's very like ISIS except it was fundamentalist Christians running berserk instead of fundamentalist Muslims.

This war could never have had such lethal consequences had China not first been softened up by Western destabilization and I do remember the name of that part - that was the First and Second Opium Wars, fought solely for the benefit of capitalist enterprise and on the cynical pretense that it would allegedly be good for the Chinese in the long run, which it very much wasn't.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    03:47 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Re: Religious war

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

The Opium Wars if anyone is interested.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Opium-Wars

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

I see you've listed this > history > religion.

Are you looking to discuss the rebellion; the wars; both; or the religious connection to radicalism? Just curious.

I suppose I could wait to see where you go next with it in your next post.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time

I'm rather hoping there are parallels to be drawn between that outbreak of Chinese nationalist Christian hysteria and the current Arab Muslim equivalent, but I've not gone exploring yet to see what I can make of the notion.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

gmc
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Religion is a man made construct and has always played a useful part in wars as a tool to control the armies and people that was the whole point about the way the christian bible was carefully edited and christian doctrine laid down. Islam is no differnt and neither is judaism. In the Japanese civil wars christianity also played a part believe it or not ending up ,on the losing side and becoming prescribed.

Where there are no political institutions to saok up and handle dissidence then religios ones act as a substitute. That's what happened in saudi arabia since political dissent is not allowed wahibism was allowed to take it's place and now the rulers have a problem with a fundamentalist religion that is beyiond their control. In iran where the west overthrew a democratic government and brought in their puppet that allowed no opposition then religion became the focal point for the diccontented. Syria allowed no political discourse so religion gains foillowers. Politics and religion are not seperate.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time

Ahso's Britannica Taiping article has details which dovetail with modern-day Islamic fundamentalism. Compare this with ISIS, for example:
    Taiping Christianity placed little emphasis on New Testament ideas of kindness, forgiveness, and redemption. Rather, it emphasized the wrathful Old Testament God who demanded worship and obedience. Prostitution, foot-binding, and slavery were prohibited, as well as opium smoking, adultery, gambling, and use of tobacco and alcohol. Organization of the army was elaborate, with strict rules governing soldiers in camp and on the march. For those who followed these rules, an ultimate reward was promised. Zeng Guofan was astonished when, after the capture of Nanjing, almost 100,000 of the Taiping followers preferred death to capture.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Kitten

I'm not surprised by that. As GMC points out, religion is a tool, a mechanism by which men both use and adhere to for what appears to me to be something to accomplish.

Men seem to be almost mesmerized and obsessed by the idea of accomplishing whatever mission they set out to do. They'd often rather die in the act of it rather than quit. I'm not certain there's much difference between a man expiring from a heart attack by wearing himself out working or exercising or dying a martyr.

This obsession can definitely be and is most often a well meaning and positive endeavor - benign to the self and others. Religion and politics are endeavors of control though, and when ideas fail too many men too often default to brute force.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time
    01:47 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

I don't really see the parallel.
    Taiping folks adapted a foreign religion, new to the area, perpetrated by foreigners, to interfere with the establishment. The movement sought to replace the long standing established empire with some self-serving religious lunatics.

The IS movement created itself from the ashes of the establishment, using a religion established well over a millennium ago.
    "You don't need to know all the answers. Nobody is yet smart enough to even know all the questions."
    - Anonymous

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    03-28-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Both succeeded only because their sphere of operation had been destabilized by external aggression.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast