Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    05:57 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Racist statues

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    it's a no win situation Y's.
    People have to stop letting things offend them so much.
    What have we become?
    History is what it was. We can't change it, but we can change how much we let it offend us.
    We ought to be concentrating more on making humans more kind, and tolerant.
    We can't change it but we can stop pretending the past was all glorious and the bad things that happened -things like black slavery and the holocaust were an aberration caused by a few bad people.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    10:57 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by minks View Post
    I feel the more we bitch about being offended, the harder others try to offend us.
    Goodness this society is all FUBAR.
    A little bit of an understanding of why many of these statues are where they are and why they were put there helps to get why some people find them offensive.
    Image the government going to the Native America Tribal grounds and erecting statues of Christopher Columbus, or, of the man who was responsible for infecting millions of them with Smallpox, killing several million in a single year.

Or imagine the government erecting a statue of Pro Nazi Canadians in the Toronto Jewish neighborhood.

A little weak, but you Canadians don't have a lot of the history that we do.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    09:57 AM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

In California there are statues of Fr Junipero Sera everywhere. There are giant statues on hill tops and smaller statues in town squares. Every kid is taught what a great man he was - he brought "civilization" to California. He is even on the short list for sainthood.

The non-propaganized history is a bit more brutal. His party of several ships would land. There was the one priest, a few assistants, some merchant types. , and shiploads of soldiers. They would pick a spot. The merchant types would scout around to see if there was any gold or items to sell on the european market. Then they would look for spices or other crops of value to them. The local Native Americans were captured and put to work as slave labor to build a "mission" and grow food for the party. If there was some spice or other marketable crop, the slave labor grew those. Every day or so, the priest would preach and tell everyone that they needed to renounce their traditions and beliefs and become Christians. According to church doctrine, if they converted to the priest's satisfaction, they were no longer slaves and graduated to becoming unpaid employees supervising the slaves.

Once a "mission" was fully operational, they would set out to explore a new place and see if there was anything they wanted there. They established a set of these "missions" for the southern 500 miles of California and used slave labor to build a road between them. All of these "missions" or the sites on which they were built are now national and state historic sites with propagandistic plaques and statues.

Understandable, the Native American community (and many others) are upset by the whitewashing of history and the celebration of this guy as a hero. They have been trying for years to get some of these publicly funded statues removed, or at least tell the whole story in the plaques.

is is well-rested.

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    I'm getting tired of everyone constantly finding new things to find offensive then protesting until they get their way, often times ending in violence.
    I could care less if there was or wasn't a statue of Robert E. Lee or most any other of the like.

The idiots. Lee was actually against the war and only served for duty's sake. After the war he regretted it mercilessly and refused to condone any glorification. People who would erase history are on the same level as ISIS. Protesting against racist Neo-Nazis is perfectly correct. Blaming a statue for society's undercurrent of evil and the propagation of such groups is just ignorant.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    05:57 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Context is everything, is it not the case that these statues were raised at the height of the civil rights campaign to make clear who was in charge?

Talking of the lessons from history the rise of the right in europe and america is not something to be taken lightly. If trump stands at the next election and loses bet you he claims it was fixed.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Understanding why a particular statue was placed where it is, and why it was put there, and who is requesting/demanding its removal probably helps.
    Making sweeping statements about all statues, and all of the people demanding their removal seems as counterproductive as making sweeping demands to remove all the statues.

Of course, now the reactionaries are overreacting to the localized demands and claiming a nationwide effort to "erase history"
    There has been a discussion on another forum about and effort to remove some confederate memorials in New York City that were placed on NYU campus in the mid 20th century. Why are there Confederate "monuments" in NY City?
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    06-21-2018
    Local Time
    02:57 AM

Oh great! Now its happening in this country..... thankyou social media and" outrage book" for the copy cat hysteria.

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer

Mag I am doing my very polite "golf clap" with the look of distain on my face right now.
    I feel like you. "f@@@ you social media for promoting and encouraging sheep like behavior"
    Stir up mass hysteria, mass idiocy, mass jump on the band wagon. Ugh have we humans nothing better to do with ourselves.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    06-21-2018
    Local Time
    02:57 AM

Yeah, but one person.....one!....went and graffitteed a statue in Sydney....now we have to tear them down?
    Ugggh. Its all too much. The prominant response is though, more statues not less.

And if i could make a couple of suggestions?
    Thw person who invented the fridge....humanity relies on refridgeration.

What about the windmill? They are all around the world.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    11:57 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I can't say much about R.Lee, but he was loyal to his state/county and by all accounts an honorable man.
    I am assuming that you mean, as written, county and not country.

He was certainly not loyal to his country, so I guess it depends on what you consider "honorable". I live in Champaign County, State of Illinois. I can't imagine anyone here attempting to break away from the USA, for whatever reason.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast