+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: looking for a couple of people

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time
    11:04 PM

Re: looking for a couple of people

Oh and on the UK ancestry site i found a pic of my great great grandmother that i didnt know excisted.

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time

Here we go...if anyone could help me out please....i cant access the archives

Im looking for a grandmothers court records. Her name is either Hannah Bolton or Ann Moore or could be hannah bolton moore... who knows

She was tried at warwick assize on the 07 of august 1787 for burglary along with her associate Elizabeth Richards. Both were transported. On the lady juliana june 29 1789.

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time
    12:04 PM

I expect you've seen Ann – Hannah Moor, Convict Lady Juliana 1790Australian History Research

The assize records you want don't exist any longer. The Warwickshire County Crown & Gaol Books only run from 1818, the Indictments and Depositions from the 1860s.

Criminal trials in the English assize courts 1559-1971 - key to records - The National Archives
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time

Yeah, done all of that. Im writing a book. About her. So much stuff but i eoyld have liked who accused her. Witnesses etc. Oh well. I think i have enough dates voyage notes etc to begin......was just lacking the initial stuff. Why who etc. Of the initial condemnation of the two girls. (They ended up on the lady julianna....poor things.

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time

Ill keep looking...there has to be a snippet of something.

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time
    12:04 PM

Newspapers. I'll drop into the library, they allow access to the national 18thC newspaper search.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time

Elizabeth Chapman (Herbert)
    Birthdate: September 27, 1799 (66)
    Birthplace: Norfolk Island
    Death: June 19, 1866 (66)
    Kaiapoi, New Zealand
    Immediate Family:

Daughter of John Alexander Herbert [Convict "Scarborough" 1788] and Hannah Herbert, convict "Lady Juliana" 1790
    Wife of John William Chapman
    Mother of Sarah Chapman, infant; James John Chapman; Thomas Brough Chapman; Ann Jane Chapman, infant; Jane Chapman and 2 others
    Sister of Charlotte Herbert; Elizabeth Herbert, infant; James Herbert; Jemmima Flaherty and Ann Noble Foveaux Herbert

Rose, Ann Noble (1801–1837)

Ann Noble Foveaux Herbert's mother died about five months after her birth. She was baptised as Ann Noble Foveaux on 13 February 1803 at Norfolk Island. Her parents were listed as John Herbert and Hannah Moor. She left Norfolk Island as Ann Bolton with Joseph Foveaux aboard the Albion in September 1804 and was brought up in England by Foveaux and his future wife Mrs Ann Sherwin.

She married Samuel Rose at St Marylebone, Westminster, England on 20 May 1823.

Herbert, Hannah (1767–1801)

Hannah Bolton (alias Hannah/Anna Moore) was sentenced to seven years transportation for burglary in a house. She arrived in Sydney in 1789 aboard the Lady Juliana as part of the Second Fleet. Two months later she was was sent to Norfolk Island on the Surprize. As Ann Moore she married John Herbert in a mass marriage ceremony on Norfolk Island and by 1801 they had six children. It is thought that she is the Ann Moor who was buried on Norfolk Island in 1801.

Alternative Names

Bolton, Hannah
    Moore, Hannah
    Moore, Ann
    Moor, Ann

Birth

Warwickshire, England
    Death

September 1801
    Norfolk Island, Australia
    Cause of Death

childbirth complications
    Cultural Heritage

English

Passenger Ship

Lady Julianna (1790)

Occupation

convict

Key Events

Second Fleet (1789-90)

Goodyer, John Eli (1823–1908)

John Eli Goodyer was sentenced to life transportation for highway robbery. He arrived in Tasmania in 1839 aboard the Egyptian. He was described as being 5 feet 3 inches tall, with brown hair, hazel eyes, and had a freckled scar on his right arm. His occupation was farm labourer. His age at arrival was given as 17. He was granted a ticket of leave in 1847 and a conditional pardon in 1851. He had married Susanna Chapman in 1846.

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time

Isn't it interesting that thanks to convict records we know what ancestors looked like two centuries ago....gosh they were short...not like my six foot something sons lol I'm an inch taller than him...but I guess that's malnutrition for you .

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time

Chapman, William (1792–1852)

William Chapman was sentenced to life imprisonment for stealing a sheep. He arrived in New South Wales aboard the Fortune in 1806. By 1811 he was living in Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania).

not sure if it was this one who escaped the noose twice or another ....

one of them got 35 lashes

Local Date
    12-17-2018
    Local Time
    01:04 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    one of them got 35 lashes
    Ouch.

One thing that struck me is that people did come back here after serving their time, or their kids did, sometimes at least. It's not really something I'd thought about. I'd rather thought of Australia as a sort of oubliette
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast