Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Will anyone know your name in a thousand years?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    07:22 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: Will anyone know your name in a thousand years?

I do agree with Fourpart (don't say that often!) and Mags that History is the sum of all our parts. We all make our own history in our own lives and how we affect and are affected by others. We are part of a wider History too: all our lives add up to the social, political and economic Now. Put that into a context of what came before and we see how lives have changed over the last 20 years, 50, 100 and so on, and can try to identify how, in what ways and why. That's History.

Then of course you have those whose lives put them in a position that affects many people: business leaders, politicians from the Town Hall up, emergency services might go here too. Leaders in war tend to be remembered. Churchill really was an important figure and without him the 2nd WW might well have ended differently and certainly would have taken a very different course.

The big killers have a hold on us. Stalin, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Hitler.

But to really make your name last - found a successful religion.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    11:22 AM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post

Or have one founded in your name. Buddha was a Hindu and would be appalled that a religion was started in his name.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:22 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Or have one founded in your name. Buddha was a Hindu and would be appalled that a religion was started in his name.
    Most modern Buddhists that I have met say that Buddhism is not intended to be a religion. Many Christian thinkers say the same about Christianity.

I rather like Thomas Merton's view on them.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Don't know who Thomas Merton is or what he said...

I've thought of another one:

Be a major character in a really old poem: Agamemnon, Achilles, Menelaus, Helen - we know of them all. Gilgamesh too - all were almost certainly real people.

Edit: and I just noticed there was an article attached and read it....

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    I
    Not really who was that founded scientology. or the baptist church? OK you probably know but I bet most people couldn't do so.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Not really who was that founded scientology. or the baptist church? OK you probably know but I bet most people couldn't do so.
    I wouldn't exactly class Scientology as a 'successful' Religion, but wasn't the Baptist Church founded from John the Baptist.

Additionally, of course, Jesus was a Jew. If he ever existed I doubt very much he would have approved of a Religion being founded in his name.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:22 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Baptist Church is probably not a good example, actually. there are a number of different factions of "Baptists" and non of them seem to be able to agree with each other. But John Calvin probably gets the credit for defining the basic tenets of Baptist Churches in general.

As for Scientology, we will have to wait a few centuries to see if L Ron Hubbard truly wins a place in the list of immortals.

I suppose people like Newton, and Einstein, the Wright Bros. and Goddard might make the list for this last Millennium. Perhaps Saladin, Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon?
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I wouldn't exactly class Scientology as a 'successful' Religion, but wasn't the Baptist Church founded from John the Baptist.

Additionally, of course, Jesus was a Jew. If he ever existed I doubt very much he would have approved of a Religion being founded in his name.
    I find it hard to believe firstly it gets classed as a religion and secondly that it actually gets any followers that stay interested beyond the point where anyione finds out it's origins. Mind you I find that to be the case for religion in general but then I have yet to find one that can answer why they believe in god in the first place.

John the baptist is incidental the baptist comes from from baptising by total immersion of adults and rejecting the baptism of infants. Calvin was one of the thinkers that sparked the protestant reformation and what we would recognise as puritan thinking. Consubstantiation was another of his favourites.

Even of those whose names we know how many will remember what they said or did. Already many seem to think think ww2 was the americans against the germans saving europe from domination by the nazis,

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Even of those whose names we know how many will remember what they said or did. Already many seem to think think ww2 was the americans against the germans saving europe from domination by the nazis,
    I think that one's a bit different - it's myth making. We did the same thing when Top Nation: Took us 150 years to recognise eg the contribution of the Prussians at Waterloo. Curiously enough now it seems that Wellington and his allied army had much the same job as the British in WW2 - to hang on until more allies could turn up and then help deliver the coup de grace.

As far as I can tell the best summary of the Brits and Yanks in WW2 is that they both could and did pick holes in and criticise eachother, often fairly but sometimes not, but both would admit that the other would always do its best (however incompetent) against the enemy and that couldn't always be said of other allies.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Don't know who founded the Baptists, or Methodists. Chuckle. Wesleyans are easier. But they are sects, really, even Hubbard's nasty little bunch. It's all Christian from a historian's point of view.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast