Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Will anyone know your name in a thousand years?

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    04-21-2018
    Local Time
    05:18 AM

Re: Will anyone know your name in a thousand years?

Reading a book on philosophy at the moment ....and it mentions Thales of Miletus....he didnt leave behind any body of work, and we only know of him through Aristotle. Known as one of the "seven wise men" of the ancient world by Plato. He tentatively sort of discovered "matter" ...but then went off on a trip about water being the basis of the universe. But he was enough of a mathmatician to predict a solar eclipse in 585 Bc.
    He was also known as a clutz.... apparently being so absorbed in his work he stumbled into a ditch.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    07:18 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    Don't know who founded the Baptists, or Methodists. Chuckle. Wesleyans are easier. But they are sects, really, even Hubbard's nasty little bunch. It's all Christian from a historian's point of view.
    From a historians point of view what would be interesting is what is it about christianity that all the various sects are so hell bent on attacking, and in some cases exterminating, everyone that disagrees with their particular definition of what christianity is. Heresy and apostasy are peculiarly crimes against religion that warrant death and still do in some circles. Such hatred is it a human trait that relgion intensifies or one solely due to religion?

Scioentology christian?

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    From a historians point of view what would be interesting is what is it about christianity that all the various sects are so hell bent on attacking, and in some cases exterminating, everyone that disagrees with their particular definition of what christianity is. Heresy and apostasy are peculiarly crimes against religion that warrant death and still do in some circles. Such hatred is it a human trait that relgion intensifies or one solely due to religion?

Scioentology christian?
    Well, I'd call Mormons Christian and their foundation wasn't much better if what I hear is true (led by a charismatic murderer who charmed the pants off women). I appreciate that most Christians wouldn't accept the Church of Christ Scientist as Christian but I'd put them out at the wacky extreme.

Sadly, I think the impulse is human and religion just uses and directs it. Fear of the other, scapegoating, the enforcement of conformity. Religion always seems to be tied in with the enforcement of norms that benefit society in some way, or are at least believed to do so. This ranges from organised religion backing the temporal power with for example the anointing of monarchs to nasty human traits like scapegoating (a large part of witch-burning I suspect) which seem deeply ingrained in us. A common set of beliefs unifies the tribe. Dissenters threaten the unity of the tribe and are rarely tolerated. Religion is a force multiplier in this situation.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Reading a book on philosophy at the moment ....and it mentions Thales of Miletus....he didnt leave behind any body of work, and we only know of him through Aristotle. Known as one of the "seven wise men" of the ancient world by Plato. He tentatively sort of discovered "matter" ...but then went off on a trip about water being the basis of the universe. But he was enough of a mathmatician to predict a solar eclipse in 585 Bc.
    He was also known as a clutz.... apparently being so absorbed in his work he stumbled into a ditch.
    How utterly tantalising. Given that water is H2O he was 2/3rds right, since hydrogen IS the basis of the universe!

And you never know what will turn up unexpectedly. Things do.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    04-21-2018
    Local Time

Well if you can write about an arrow not going anywhere in flight youll be remembered 2500 years later, as in Zeno's paradoxes....reductio ad absurdum

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    04-21-2018
    Local Time

Dont know whats more frightening....the fact that im reading this stuff ...or scarier still....that i understand it.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

All Religions are akin to negotiating a contract, and people pick & choose which option gives them the best deal. It makes no difference as to what the original scripture actually says, if one interpretation is more palateable than another, then that is going to be the one to get the followers, according to the nature of the person concerned. For example, those who are racially bigotted are more likely to be drawn towards the sects, such as the Ku Klux Klan, who only consider Whites to be the Chosen People. This is merely because it supports their preexisting beliefs. Then there is the issue of polygamy. Some specify 1 man, 1 wife, yet others allow multiple wives. Some sects believe in abstinence from alcohol, while others incorporate alcohol as part of their Holy Communion rituals, in the enacting of what is essentially cannibalism. The Catholics supposedly have their Priests practice abstinence from sex, while others have their Vicars often married with children. Then there is the ordnance of women as priests / vicars. Gay Marriage, etc. Religion is nothing more than politics. Each one has its own little manifesto & the follower picks & chooses which option best meets his or her personal requirements, and then plumps for that one as the one & only 'true' Religion, and decries all others as being sacreligious, whereas if they were to follow the texts precisely you'd end up with a mass of totally confused nutjobs, such as Pahu & Frodo.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:18 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Firstly, I reckon that for every religious leader who has successfully founded a religion that has lasted for millennia, there are hundreds, or even thousands who have long faded into the dusts of time. And there are, perhaps even now the beginnings of some cult following that will eventually become one of the great religions of the universe.
    Nikola Tesla for instance. Who knows what is in store for him and his story over the centuries?

Or perhaps Stephen Hawking.
    And given how fate seems to twist and turn, perhaps the good scientist, Richard Dawkins. Or James Randi?

But, there are far more men of science and philosophy remembered over the Millennium than religious leaders. kings, queens, emperors, conquerors, a few politicians, a few generals, and even an admiral or two.
    Of course we have a lot more people in the last few centuries that a thousand years ago, and trend watchers suggest that there will be far more showing up in the next thousand.
    So, who among the people who made a name for themselves in the last century do you think will still be remembered in 3018?
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Michael Faraday, Charles Darwin & Stephen Hawking.

Ted
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    04-20-2018
    Local Time
    10:18 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Not likely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast