Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
Actually, London wasn't even the Capital City until 1265. Before that it was Winchester. And Chester, being a Roman suffix would probably indicate that it was Winchester that paid for it.
Hadrian's Wall started construction after Hadrian's Visit, 122CE.

During the later decades of the 1st century, Londinium expanded rapidly, becoming Great Britain's largest city. By the turn of the century, Londinium had grown to about 60,000 people, almost certainly replacing Camulodunum (Colchester) as the provincial capital and by the 2nd century, Londinium was at its height. Its forum and basilica were one of the largest structures north of the Alps, when the Emperor Hadrian visited Londinium in 122.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londinium#Status

I'm not sure there was ever a time when Winchester could have been described as the capital city of anything larger than the Kingdom of the West Saxons. Perhaps you can suggest someone who claims otherwise, or that it applied beyond the Norman Conquest, and I can discover what I've so far misunderstood. But as far as 122CE is concerned, taking another quote referenced in Wikipedia, Although in the early years of the Roman province it was of subsidiary importance to Silchester and Chichester, Venta [as Winchester was then named] eclipsed them both by the latter half of the second century - some generations after Hadrian had been and gone.