----

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:51 PM
    Gifts Beer

Re: I see EU Morphing into a New US

Great Thread:

My thoughts are along the same line as Galbally, who I think expresses his thoughts very well in words.

Jester2
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Toss'n my buffalo nickel in here....

Do you think we lost our state rights during the civil war Acc? I think we diffinetly jumped a fer peice then but I think it started drifitng away with the idea of manifest destiny, we quit thinkin like individual colonies and started thinking in the greedy collective. I suppose its all in the way ya look at it.

Here's a question and maybe thread drift too but I think there is enough regional differences now that a state or two could try to abolish ties with the Union, I doubt that the feds coudl or would stomach a fight for it and I bet a state with a large economy coud theoretically do it.

If say Texas drifted, would you stay and see what comes of the government?

If CA left the union Id sell everything and move, no way I'd stay in liberal land without the feds.

JAB
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Do you think we lost our state rights during the civil war Acc? I think we diffinetly jumped a fer peice then but I think it started drifitng away with the idea of manifest destiny, we quit thinkin like individual colonies and started thinking in the greedy collective. I suppose its all in the way ya look at it.

Here's a question and maybe thread drift too but I think there is enough regional differences now that a state or two could try to abolish ties with the Union, I doubt that the feds coudl or would stomach a fight for it and I bet a state with a large economy coud theoretically do it.

If CA left the union Id sell everything and move, no way I'd stay in liberal land without the feds.
    You don't want Ahnold as your President?

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    07:51 AM
    Gifts Certificate Beer

Something truly radical would have to take place for secession to be a serious consideration here. I'd have to save my answer for when that happens, because it might mean that America had stopped being "American," in spirit, I mean.

Jester2
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable View Post
    Something truly radical would have to take place for secession to be a serious consideration here. I'd have to save my answer for when that happens, because it might mean that America had stopped being "American," in spirit, I mean.
    If a conservative area developed and it was governed by constitutional instead of precedential case law Id seriously consider an appointment to develop their military, if they'd have me that is.

To me that would be going back to a more free state than we currently have.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:51 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

How would you define "being" american?

is a Natualized Texan

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    07:51 AM
    Gifts Certificate Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    How would you define "being" american?
    That's tough, but I expect it's very similar to "being" Scottish. Fierce pride in our accomplishments and identity, valuing the freedoms, struggles, and triumphs of the individual. Helping my fellow man without making him subservient. That's just quick & off the top of my head.

The mixed blessing of being American is that everybody makes his own definition. The general consensus seems to be changing. Looking online, we have fractured and now have opposing definitions.

Some seem to think that being American is securing our own freedom and security at all costs, even if it means risking, restricting, or eliminating the freedom and security of other nations. They forget that this is the attitude held by the kings of old and that our forefathers fought to free themselves of that yoke.

Others seem to think that being American means government taking care of everyone because a few can't take care of themselves. They seem to want freedom from responsibility, and are willing to forfeit all other freedom to get it. They forget that this nation was created out of the desire to have self-determination, for each person to be able to stand or fall on his own effort because the effort is as important as the result.

Jester2
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Interesting concept on being 'American'...

I'm American mostly because its my birthright, I was born on my fathers land, and the same land has been in my families name and at one time fought over in range wars. The most recent wars have been legal ones over mineral/water rights.

America is land to two concepts that are the basis for my personal beliefs, freedom of religion and my own freedom to secure my family. (which im sure one could argue I have anyway, anywhere I go) but here, for the most part my government supports those ideas.

My particular problem with Government currently is that its doesnt do enough to punish the guilty and goes overboard to protect the rights of the guilty at the expense of the innocent/victim, but thats a lengthy explaination.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:51 AM

Talking Re: I see EU Morphing into a New US

Interesting concept on being 'American'...

I'm American mostly because its my birthright, I was born on my fathers land, and the same land has been in my families name and at one time fought over in range wars. The most recent wars have been legal ones over mineral/water rights.

America is land to two concepts that are the basis for my personal beliefs, freedom of religion and my own freedom to secure my family. (which im sure one could argue I have anyway, anywhere I go) but here, for the most part my government supports those ideas.

My particular problem with Government currently is that its doesnt do enough to punish the guilty and goes overboard to protect the rights of the guilty at the expense of the innocent/victim, but thats a lengthy explaination.
    I hear you Jester.

Everybody wanna be a balla, bot nobody wanna be a shot calla. lol. Go on pimp.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    04:51 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Another thread prompted me to start this conversation.

I'm no historian or political expert, so I'm asking for expert opinion. Failing that, ya'll will do just fine.

Regarding acreage and population, the EU is comparable to the USA. If I'm not mistaken, the US was originally organized as a cooperative of 13 independent governments(states in the original definition), each maintaining most of its sovreignty and partnering for defense and trade. Isn't this an acceptable description of the EU, with exception of defense?

The states lost their sovreignty to the federal government less than 100 years after forming, thanks to a very bloody civil war.

I see that the EU has added a presidential post to its governing body. I fear for the individual nations' futures. I see a new melting pot warming up.

Am I wrong? I freely admit my ignorance in this, but you know I grasp stuff pretty quick. *picks nose, looks, flicks *
    You are not wrong this is exactly what the eu wants one major european state to rival ammerica and the chinnesse, This is serious bad news as the french and germans can't help themselves they have to go for world dommination. We must all work to stop this Britain must pull out of the eu and the commonwealth will follow us to form a stabalising block, america will never attack us as an independent soveriegn state they would however if we had been absorbed into a greater europe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast