Happy

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:52 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: Egypt.........it's a worry

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    We were, I thought, discussing coups by natives rather than the away games of our national squad.
    I was talking of populary elected people who proved to be untrustworthy of the electorates vote...........because they were interested in Power and not democracy.

The point about our Maggie, was she could see she had gone a step too far with the Poll Tax, and did a U turn to save herself.
    If you remember when eventually she was unwanted by those closest to her they threw her out unceremoniously.....................because she hadn't managed to alter the system enough to ensure they couldn't............unlike Morsi and Hitler.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Closed
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    unlike Morsi and Hitler.
    Now that' just plain wish-fulfillment and invention on your part. You're demonizing the Muslim Brotherhood solely to justify the outrage of the coup against it.

Supporting Member
    is I am counting the cost of Christmas

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Mop Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Now that' just plain wish-fulfillment and invention on your part. You're demonizing the Muslim Brotherhood solely to justify the outrage of the coup against it.
    There's no demonising. Morsi alienated the very large secular population and moved further and deeper into Islamist conservatism. Most saw it as a shift toward becoming a new Iran, with all the ultraconservatism that comes with it. That might have been fine for some but it clearly scared most of the population on to the streets.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Do you wonder why so many people got off their butts and took to the streets................or was that the Poll tax riots.

That is a bit subtle even for me, likening our mature democracy and the reaction of the ruling party to mass public outrage, and the genuine mass outcry of an infant democracy when their rulers overstep the mark, but without the safety mechanisms we take for granted.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Closed
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time

I suggest the reason the armed forces staged their coup now was that, had the next elections rolled round on schedule and been run fairly and with international inspection, Morsi's term in office would have been validated as democratic. He might have won another term, he might not, but he'd have demonstrated his commitment to fair elections. The coup has destroyed that particular future.

Closed
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time

This one was US-sponsored too...
    "The armed forces of Chile acted today solely motivated by patriotic inspiration to save the country from the chaos into which it was being plunged by the Marxist government of Salvador Allende," announced Gen Pinochet in staccato voice. "The junta will maintain judicial power… the chambers will remain in recess until further orders. That is all."

His fellow junta member, Gustavo Leigh, added a few words helpful to future generals needing inspiration for their own declarations - patriotic duty, sacrifice, public support. "In order to protect the sacred interests of the homeland we found ourselves obliged to take on the sad and painful mission which we have undertaken," declared Gen Leigh. "We are not afraid. We know the enormous responsibility that will rest on our shoulders. But we are convinced, we are quite sure that the vast majority of the Chilean people is with us."

BBC News - Sunglasses optional: Essential props for declaring a coup
    I wonder whether the Egyptian Armed Forces will beat the Chilean Armed Forces' game score of 3,000 dead.

Banned
    is New year ... Same Jj.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:52 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cocktail Heart Balloons Paintbrush Beer Gift

Tunisia was the birthplace of the Arab Spring in December 2010... President Zine El Abidine Ben Al was forced to flee the country and elections were held on January 14 2011. Even so instability continues.

The downfall of President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt was a decisive moment as he had been one of the Wests key allies in the region for thirty years. The division between Islamists and secular parties soon soured and the Egyptian military still remains the single most powerful player in the country.

In Libya Qaddafis regime was brought down only after the intervention of NATO forces. Now a weak central government struggles to assert its authority.

Yemen was the next victim of the Arab Spring and many hundreds of people died as the army disintegrated into two political camps. Meanwhile Al Qaeda began to seize territory in the south. Alter a settlement brokered by Saudi Arabia, the president agreed to step aside. However little progress has been made since.

Bahrain was not spared either and the Royal Family was only saved by military intervention by neighboring countries. Protests continue.

Syria has slid into a protracted civil war and both sides have outside backers, Russia supports the regime while the west supports the rebels.

The Arab Spring hit Morocco in early 2011 and the King blunted most protests by simply offering constitutional amendments and more state funding of low-income families.

In Jordan the King managed to put the Arab Spring on hold by making cosmetic changes to the political system and reshuffling the government. Fear of what was happening in Syria did the rest.

And so the Arab Spring has come and gone & Syrians are still killing Syrians. The Arab Spring has come and gone & Egyptians are still killing Egyptians.

Which begs the question: Are violent protests effective in undemocratic countries?

In most western countries, the threat of citizens voting a government out of power at the next general election is often enough to force them to change their policies.

But in the Middle East where elections seldom take place, are violent demonstrations and protests the only weapon that the masses have at their disposal? This may be so, but then surely the accompanying loss of life hardly makes these demonstrations viable.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Hungry

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:52 AM

Massacre. Or was it the soldiers shooting in self defense? I think they did, this is the same thing the "rebels" did in Syria. Soldiers will defend themselves. At the end of this video it states that there was a call for rebellion.

Massacre in Cairo deepens Egypt crisis - YouTube

This user has no status.

I am:
    Hungry

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:52 AM

I wonder whether the Egyptian Armed Forces will beat the Chilean Armed Forces' game score of 3,000 dead.
    If this goes the way of Syria it won't even be a contest.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-23-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Three minute explanation from a twelve year old.

Egypt : The Next President - YouTube

We didn’t get rid of a military regime to replace it with a fascist theocracy
    It's the same issue in Turkey people don't want a theocracy imposed on them, it's not just communists that use the freedoms given by democracy to actively destroy them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast