I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    01:16 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Re: Egypt.........it's a worry

We can only hope that the anger that's being shown does not spill over into violence as the parties jocky for position in the run up to the new elections.

Closed
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Well the bad guy has been toppled, by the military.
    "Bad guy" in what sense? This is the chap who won the only fairly-administered non-corrupt national election for President that Egypt has run since Alexander the Great invaded.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    "Bad guy" in what sense? This is the chap who won the only fairly-administered non-corrupt national election for President that Egypt has run since Alexander the Great invaded.
    and then proceeded to amend the constitution granting himself unlimited powers to "protect" the nation in late November 2012,and the power to legislate without judicial oversight or review of his acts and went on to start creating an Islamic one party state. Do you really need to ask why people were calling for him to resign.

Closed
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    and then proceeded to amend the constitution granting himself unlimited powers to "protect" the nation in late November 2012,and the power to legislate without judicial oversight or review of his acts and went on to start creating an Islamic one party state. Do you really need to ask why people were calling for him to resign.
    "Unlimited" is an over-egged cake, and "to start creating" merely guesses his intention with no evidence - I've seen nothing to suggest "one party" in any of his policies.

Meanwhile we now have all of Mubarak's friends and relations crowing, and I have no doubt we also have all of Mubarak's torturers cleaning the dust off their equipment while Mubarak's secret police round up the Muslim Brotherhood by their thousands.

Or is Mubarak no longer the really truly actual "bad guy" with the really truly actual Swiss bank accounts and a history of corruption dating back thirty years? I'd be very surprised to hear he's not back in a suit attending dinner parties and toasting his uniformed proteges.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Hungry

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    05:16 AM

I doubt very much this is a good thing for the Egyptian people, I know Morsi was not since he was beholden to what are essentially extremists in their own right. No faction in Egypts recent history has really cared about the Egyptian people or "democracy". This Arab spring has essentially gotten nothing for your average Arab citizen. Libya is chaos and Syria is in a civil war of a brutal nature. It appears that in Turkey the Muslim extremists and cleptocrats are well along with the destruction of Ataturks dream of a secular and modern Turkey.

On the subject of Egypt I sure am not going to speculate. I wish the people the best.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Týr View Post
    "Unlimited" is an over-egged cake, and "to start creating" merely guesses his intention with no evidence - I've seen nothing to suggest "one party" in any of his policies.

Meanwhile we now have all of Mubarak's friends and relations crowing, and I have no doubt we also have all of Mubarak's torturers cleaning the dust off their equipment while Mubarak's secret police round up the Muslim Brotherhood by their thousands.

Or is Mubarak no longer the really truly actual "bad guy" with the really truly actual Swiss bank accounts and a history of corruption dating back thirty years? I'd be very surprised to hear he's not back in a suit attending dinner parties and toasting his uniformed proteges.
    Then I suggest you take a look a closer look at what he was doing, if you don't think it was a blatant attempt to create an islamic state that up to you. It's the same in Turkey - one of the oldest secular states in the middle east people are on the streets protesting about the imposition of religious laws and repression. o

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

I know less about this than most of you lot.
    I do know there has been a popular uprising, how widespread and how popular...... who can tell from this distance?
    If an elected leader is unpopular enough in the UK, they get rid of them.
    If an elected party, or their policies are obviously unpopular, they change them (Poll Tax riots)
    If the opposition/ruling party can muster enough support they have procedures to call an election.

I find the military taking control, even in the interim........very worrying.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    I know less about this than most of you lot.
    I do know there has been a popular uprising, how widespread and how popular...... who can tell from this distance?
    If an elected leader is unpopular enough in the UK, they get rid of them.
    If an elected party, or their policies are obviously unpopular, they change them (Poll Tax riots)
    If the opposition/ruling party can muster enough support they have procedures to call an election.

I find the military taking control, even in the interim........very worrying.
    Then again when you have one political party prepared to use force and terrorism to get compliance with their policies sometimes force is what it will take to combat them. The muslim brotherhood were out to create an islamic state - they have never pretended otherwise except to get themselves in to power - morsi had promised to work with the opposition almost the first thing he did was amend the constitution to make his decisions exempt from oversight by the courts.

Coptic Christians under siege as mob attacks Cairo cathedral - Africa - World - The Independent

The challenge for Egypt's Copts - Features - Al Jazeera English

Sectarian violence in Egypt sees two churches attacked in one week - The Commentator

What would you do if faced with the prospect of a fundamentalist Islamic state?

This user has no status.

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    What would you do if faced with the prospect of a fundamentalist Islamic state?
    Put that way, probably the best thing to happen.
    It is not the prospect of a fundamentalist anything that worries me, it is the taking away the right to free elections now and in the future.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast