Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rich Get Richer and the Poor..............Who Cares?

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    08:15 AM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

The Rich Get Richer and the Poor..............Who Cares?

It has been my belief that the bank failures of 2008 was actually a move to consolidate wealth in the hands of the wealthy.

"The extent to which so much global wealth has become corralled by a virtual handful of the so-called 'global elite' is exposed in a new report from Oxfam on Monday. It warned that those richest 85 people across the globe share a combined wealth of £1tn, as much as the poorest 3.5 billion of the world's population."

Oxfam: 85 richest people as wealthy as poorest half of the world | Business | theguardian.com

Since my disability, I have been dependent upon Social Security, Medicare, government programs that have kicked in to help me even though I was not of senior age. I'm grateful for that, but.............what has driven me practically into poverty is the fact that Certificates of Deposit (CDs) have barely any interest on them. The Banks using our money have been empowered to charge us for holding it instead of paying a decent interest to us, their clients, while they use our money to enrich themselves further. This practice is impoverishing people who no longer have the ability to work, mainly seniors.

But enough about me. It's been a power grab, pure & simple, as Oxfam says. Hip hip hooray for Feudalism, let our new Lords own everything.

Supporting Member
    is I am counting the cost of Christmas

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    01:15 PM
    Gifts Mop Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: The Rich Get Richer and the Poor..............Who Cares?

Well, as our Eton educated, wealthy and privileged Prime Minister tells us, "we are all in it together".

Austerity for us clinging on to the bottom rung and tax breaks to those few looking down at us. My small private pensions aren't worth the paper they are written on and my pay has stagnated, while the bankers continue to receive their share in bonuses, of the billions we help them generate.

We seem to imagine we are all better off now than we were but relatively speaking, nothing has changed. In fact the gap has become a chasm.

Let them eat cake.......let them use iphones. Just another device to pacify the lower classes to divert them from whats really happening
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time

I couldn't agree more, Snowfire. There are so many wonderful new electronic toys to pacify us, to divert our attention, but with the credit crunch on the 'average person' in the West I can't help but wonder if even these will eventually become harder & harder for people to obtain, and what the real price will be, the debt incurred, I mean. Will we owe our souls to the company store? It seems more & more like Feudalism to me, perhaps I am being naive & it was always that, but with communication, it's so "in your face." How much longer will we stand for being robbed, and what actually can be done about it?

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Actually quite a lot can be done about it once we get away from this idea that there is nothing that can be done.

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time

Tell me.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

social democracy/liberal democracy Governments can redistribute wealth and control the activities of big corporations. They've just been convinced that they shouldn't do so. One of the myths is that capitalism means companies and individuals should not be restrained in any way in a free market economy. That's nonsense.

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time

I don't believe that. Never seen any government, no matter how liberal or 'progressive' survive without being controlled by corporations. I consider, here in the U.S., to be a one party 'democracy'. The democrats being the liberal wing of the same party. No party here ever goes against corporate interests. As silent Cal Coolidge said “the chief business of the American people is business.” and today that means the major corporations & might have back then too.

The Democrats are here to keep the lid on insurgency. They don't dare go further.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    I don't believe that. Never seen any government, no matter how liberal or 'progressive' survive without being controlled by corporations. I consider, here in the U.S., to be a one party 'democracy'. The democrats being the liberal wing of the same party. No party here ever goes against corporate interests. As silent Cal Coolidge said “the chief business of the American people is business.” and today that means the major corporations & might have back then too.

The Democrats are here to keep the lid on insurgency. They don't dare go further.
    That's because the people let them away with it in a democracy you can't blame anybody else. sadly if you dumb down education and prevent both sides of an argument being put by allowing a few to dominate the and then allow corporations to fund political parties you have a bit of an uphill struggle. What is different now though is social media how big a difference that will make is still open to question. The bigger the gulf between rich and poor in a country the more likely there is that there will eventually be a backlash if there is no give in the system.

Maybe the democrats don't dare not go further? I don't know i can't claim to be an expert of understand american politics.

We have similar problems here and the libdems blew the chance to change things but historically we have always moved on from right wing governments one way or another. This next year is going to be interesting if scotland votes for independence everything is up in the air.

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time

It appears, here in the U.S. anyway, that the more that is known about government through the blessings of the Internet, the more cynical one becomes & the less likely one is to actually get out & vote, especially as the conditions for voting are becoming so stringent & difficult in "red" (rethuglican) states that in the last presidential election some voters waited at long as 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hours to cast their vote. This surely is the greatest scandal the United States is facing & barely gets the attention or total outrage it deserves. The very moment the Supreme Court voted down many provisions in the Civil Rights voting acts was the moment it began in earnest.

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    09-24-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Thinking it might not matter if the uber super rich own the world as long as we all had enough for life to be safe & enjoyable, if there were a 'basement' no human being would be allowed to fall through. They're too greedy, however, to permit that. Things always end up having to be taken by force & I'd like to see a newer, peaceful way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast