----

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    01:40 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Re: Pre-emptive nuclear first strike

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    That cannot possibly be true! Can you find any news account which describes this?
    Ok - I'll rephrase - Intention of voting. Knowing that the vote on the resolution would go against him, Bush ordered the invasion regardless.
    In 2003, the governments of the US, Britain, and Spain proposed another resolution on Iraq, which they called the "eighteenth resolution" and others called the "second resolution." This proposed resolution was subsequently withdrawn when it became clear that several permanent members of the Council would cast 'no' votes on any new resolution, thereby vetoing it.[1] Had that occurred, it would have become even more difficult for those wishing to invade Iraq to argue that the Council had authorized the subsequent invasion. Regardless of the threatened or likely vetoes, it seems that the coalition at no time was assured any more than four affirmative votes in the Council—the US, Britain, Spain, and Bulgaria—well short of the requirement for nine affirmative votes.[2]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...d_the_Iraq_War

Koffi Annan, as UN Secretary General, went on to say that the war was not in conformity with the UN Charter & was, therefore, illegal.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Ok - I'll rephrase - Intention of voting. Knowing that the vote on the resolution would go against him, Bush ordered the invasion regardless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...d_the_Iraq_War

Koffi Annan, as UN Secretary General, went on to say that the war was not in conformity with the UN Charter & was, therefore, illegal.
    What you asked was whether "being condemned by the UN is ok?". Instead, you're now offering speculation on what might have happened had a resolution been considered by the Security Council, except it wasn't ever considered by the Security Council, it was never discussed by the Security Council because it was never put to the Security Council.

What you wrote was "illegal invasions of other countries, despite being condemned by the UN is ok?". The UN Secretary General saying "I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter. From our point of view and from the charter point of view it was illegal" is a long way short of the UN condemning the invasion of Iraq, it's the personal opinion of one man as opposed to a formal resolution by a majority of the nations of the world, or even of the Security Council.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

If a Government were to call a General Election, then during the campaign see how the polls were going so desperately against them that they decide to call off the Election, wouldn't you consider that to be as good as a vote against the current regime, even though the election never actually got to go ahead? Well, the resolution put forward to the UN was no different. They put it forward, saw how the others were going to vote against it after having expressed strong misgivings about it, thus resulting in a veto, so withdrew the resolution & carried on anyway, albeit still being illegally.

The point is, that they have done it before. There is no reason to believe they would not do it again.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time

You do presumably know an election can't actually be called off. It can't be done.

What we have here is a disagreement on what words mean. Making a statement that is factually inaccurate can't be helpful. By all means speculate, but phrasing your speculation as a statement of what actually happened at the time is just going to derail any attempt at discussion and misinform anyone who hasn't the advantage of knowing the history. The truth is that America did not go into Iraq in the face of the UN voting against it and you're fiction-writing when you say it did.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time

Another missile over Japanese territory, and still nobody has deployed any anti-missile defense and brought one down. How much has the US spent so far on anti-missile defense? And they're refusing to deploy it over Japan on missiles which might any of them be nuclear-tipped?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41275614

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    10:40 PM

Theyre waiting.
    What i find interesting is the live, right now! "You have 2mins to live" coverage".
    Well at least they are informing us to get our papers in order.

He's (kim) will do it.....he will send a live one or make a mistake. Theyre just waiting.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Theyre waiting.
    What i find interesting is the live, right now! "You have 2mins to live" coverage".
    Well at least they are informing us to get our papers in order.

He's (kim) will do it.....he will send a live one or make a mistake. Theyre just waiting.
    I honestly do not believe that NK has the ability to place a nuclear warhead of one of its ICBMs.

They can build an ICBM, they can build a nuclear device but the one won't carry the other - that photo' was a fake device, wishful thinking.

is starting another school year.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    06:40 AM
    Gifts Beer Burger Car Beer

Why doesn't the U.S. just shoot down his missiles. That a way to be up in his grill but not actually start a war. We could just say, 'Oh you were testing your missile? So were we! We were testing our missile interceptor!"

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Why doesn't the U.S. just shoot down his missiles. That a way to be up in his grill but not actually start a war. We could just say, 'Oh you were testing your missile? So were we! We were testing our missile interceptor!"
    Perhaps because their missile interceptors are not as up to speed as they make out they are. How long is the missile in flight? How long does it take to give the interceptors the order to scramble? How long does it take for the interceptors to reach the missile's location? By this time the missile may well have already reached its target & detonated.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    09-26-2017
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I thought the US military had been bragging for years that they possessed line-of-sight kapow lasers they could explode anything with, regardless of distance, and that they had a secret military micro-shuttle they could mount it in or it could go on a massive Boeing with enough refueling capacity and spare crew to stay in the air for months at a time. Or on a ship to block whatever didn't have a cloud in the way when they needed to fire. Or maybe they could laze through clouds too. The Pentagon fantasists certainly spent billions of tax dollars pretending to make them, anyway. In military circles it's probably a substitute for pussy-grab brags, it's military dirty-talk to excite the fraternity. I expect military lasers don't just fire, they spasm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast