I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-19-2018
    Local Time
    12:46 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Re: Nixing international treaties

No we're the same the prime minister cannot act without the agreement of parliament even if primus inter pares is a concept she finds difficult to grasp and seems to be determined to send to the dustbin of history.
    Yeah but it's not the PM, it's old Queenie who is HoS - by the time she signs it's done and dusted - isn't it? I thought - could be wrong - that it was the act of signing by the Queen that turned it into Law. And even with Maybe she turns up after everything is agreed, as a rule. Only if things get badly stuck and the officials can't sort it do the principals get involved. I don't know our exact process for sure - I just thought that the principle was that once the Heads of State or their official representatives signed that was it. If Parliamentary or Congressional approval was required, that should be obtained before the Heads of State made it legal...
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

gmc
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

In the UK a law comes in to force when the queen signs it but it is purely symbolic she has no authority to refuse or amend the law should she ever refiuse to sign a bill passed by parliament the monarchy would cease to exist. The lords can amend a bill and send it back to the commons with amendments twice or three times I forget which but afte that the commons is sovereign and the law will pass with or without the lords consent.

The prime monister and cabiner have executive authority but it comes from parliament who can kick them out ant time they have a majority to vote for it. Theresa may with the brexit bill is trying to centralise more powers in westminster away from local authorities - if you want to know why see things like fracking and why they want tro overrule lopcal authorities and it's also undermining the devolution settlement for scotland and wales which they want to cdo simply because they are opposed rtom devbolution in any form. Thersa may is nbow being quite open about her intentions so far as devolution is concerned.

I see Arlene foeter the DUP leader will be leading an orange walk in fife. I don;t think she'll get relected in northern ireland hopefully a younger generation growing up without the troubles will not want rto see them coming back to Northern lreland.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    08-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

The underlying power of the Monarch is the fallback state if central London government fails, as it might in the event of a nuclear strike. The fallback government is under the direct control of the Monarchy and is overseen locally by the Lords Lieutenant of the counties, who would control both the civil and military resources to maintain order and coordinate to whatever extent is possible.

I agree that short of these provisions coming into force the monarchy stands above politics but by being head of the military, the civil government and the established church it blocks anyone else from those positions. And a very good thing too, if you ask me.

All of these advantages are a consequence of having an unwritten constitution. If we had to write it down we'd never agree to any of it.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

I'd agree with you we're better off in many ways with an unwritten constitution but we do need laws and the likes of parliament to protect us from the abuse of power of those in power sadly it's a truism that the poor have no lawyers which is why so much is owned by so few and why stopping things like fracking devolves down to we can do it and we will pass laws to stop you stopping us. No one in this country agreed to give the oil companies and the like (coal steel etc) all the profit from exploiting all our natural resources we.ve just been conned in to thinking there's nothing we can do about it.

Trump is quite clearly abrogating international treaties with no regard for the long trem effects on his country. He's either doesn't care or is too thick to understand at least the americans have the right to turf him out at the next election in the UK our system is soo skewed there really is not much we can do to stop what is happening.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    08-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    In theory the Monarch may refuse Assent by using the Reserve Powers to delay or veto a bill. However it has rarely been implemented - if ever in the past 100 years or so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5