Happy

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    11:55 PM
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Nixing international treaties

First the Paris Accord, now Iran.

Events have taken an interesting twist with this Tweet from the EU president, Donald Tusk:

"Policies of @realDonaldTrump on #IranDeal and trade will meet a united European approach. EU leaders will tackle both issues at the summit in Sofia next week."

Are we about to see Europe refuse to impose the newly-announced US sanctions on Iran? And if it does, will President Trump take countermeasures against Europe, financial or otherwise?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time

Re: Nixing international treaties

Our stand-in lame duck volunteer Prime Minister gave a strange announcement in the House today, referring to the Iran Agreement in the past tense and saying it had been a good thing, and that the European leaders would talk about it. My impression is that she was avoiding any commitment to break from the traditional British role of US lapdog, and that any company in the UK which traded with Iran would be doing so with no political cover from US penalties at all. It has much the same smell as the Blair Bush relationship when what we actually need at the moment in foreign policy is another Harold Wilson prepared to say no to the White House.

America seems bent on attaining a position no other country could impose on it, one of Us (And Israel) Against Everyone Else with the usual list of spineless hangers-on (cowering dependencies in Central America, the UK, and a few right-wing ex-Soviet Bloc intransigents like Poland).

The Koreans are just going to have to reach unification despite US involvement in discussions.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    05:55 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

First of there has never been any doubt in my mind that President Obama bought and paid for a really horrible deal.

With that said he did put his stamp on the deal and walked away with phone and pen in hand. It is just too bad he did not get Congress to validate the agreement, making it law.

Reading and listening to all the commentary on Trump's withdrawing us from the deal just is just a lot of noise. I have no idea if it is a good move or not, but sticking it to Iran does give me some satisfaction.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? - W. C. Fields

A woman drove me to drink and I didn’t even have the decency to thank her. - W. C. Fields

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time

And America will impose financial penalties on Europe for continuing with the Iran deal? I can see why I'm looking forward to that but I'm not sure why you do.

gmc
    Currently Online Now
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

If the US thinks it can abrogate treaties whenever it feels like it why would anyone make a new treaty with them although as tude dog points out this agreement was never validated by congress so wasn't as formal treatyas such but nafta and other trade agreements were so why should they be trusted to keep their word in the future? If tude dog was iranian I suspect he might now be calling for the development of nuclear weapons to defend against an aggressive US who also, it looks like, working in the interests of saudi arabia which has ended upo as the most poweful state in the middle east without lifting a finger itself and who got away with sponsoring a terrorist attack on the US. I thibnk in the future people will look back at this time just as we look back at ww1 and wonder WTF werte people thinking.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

I was thinking along the same sort of lines but the conclusion I came to was that the US was going Isolationist. I don't know is this is even intentional but it is in effect what seems to be happening: They are hugely reducing their diplomatic capacity and withdrawing from foreign commitments - even trying to build border walls...

There's an echo there too of the UK's brexit. That's also isolationist. I also fear you are right and our pathetic government will sign any deal with the US because it's all there is.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

And America will impose financial penalties on Europe for continuing with the Iran deal? I can see why I'm looking forward to that but I'm not sure why you do.
    It's not about Europe.

Boeing, Airbus to lose deals with Trump's Iran sanctions

A woman drove me to drink and I didn’t even have the decency to thank her. - W. C. Fields

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    If the US thinks it can abrogate treaties whenever it feels like it why would anyone make a new treaty with them although as tude dog points out this agreement was never validated by congress so wasn't as formal treatyas such but nafta and other trade agreements were so why should they be trusted to keep their word in the future?
    The good idea is don't rely solely on the word of the president as he hasn't the authority to make it official.

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    If tude dog was iranian I suspect he might now be calling for the development of nuclear weapons to defend against an aggressive US who also, it looks like, working in the interests of saudi arabia which has ended upo as the most poweful state in the middle east without lifting a finger itself and who got away with sponsoring a terrorist attack on the US. I thibnk in the future people will look back at this time just as we look back at ww1 and wonder WTF werte people thinking.

Zero mod strikes. HAH!!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Naughty Mag Beer

This just in.. Trump has decided to pull out of the Louisiana Purchase agreement. So long New Orleans..LOL

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    07-17-2018
    Local Time
    03:55 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    This just in.. Trump has decided to pull out of the Louisiana Purchase agreement. So long New Orleans..LOL
    Oh my!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast