I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time
    12:29 PM
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

Re: Genealogy stuff

"So as suspected, it seems that I, like many Americans, am a simple Mongrel."
    Certainly not simple!

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time
    08:29 PM
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    So far, I've found relatives from Devon, England - Limerick, Ireland - Lanark region of Scotland and Hesse, Germany. The German appears to have been a mercenary for the Brits in the 1770-1780s who decided to stay around Virginia after Cornwallis went home. Rumor has it that all the Hessian mercs were told they had to find their own way home after the fall of Yorktown. The Scot came over in the latter 1800s, to join the Mormons in Utah. The guy from Devon was definitely with the Puritans coming over after the Plymouth colony proved viable. and the Irish ancestor came to take a land grant in Pennsylvania in the latter 1600s. Those make up a the four paternal lines of my grandparents.

One a little further up the line came to Louisiana from Acadia after "Le Grand Derangement" following the 7 Years War.

I found a few whose records were lost somewhere. They "just appear", with no history, whatsoever.

So as suspected, it seems that I, like many Americans, am a simple Mongrel.
    Or, as we'd call it round here, a Heinz :-)

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Mongrels tend to have more character, be more intelligent and healthier than inbred pedigrees so I wouldn't be too upset. Funnily enough I've been in lanark on a few occasions recently both for work and to see the falls of clyde - ever now and then they shut off the hydro electric scheme and the falls flow full force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XisMRpcKpEw

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time
    01:29 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Mongrels tend to have more character, be more intelligent and healthier than inbred pedigrees so I wouldn't be too upset. Funnily enough I've been in lanark on a few occasions recently both for work and to see the falls of clyde - ever now and then they shut off the hydro electric scheme and the falls flow full force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XisMRpcKpEw
    I was once run out of the Officer's Club at Walter Reed Medical Center for basically saying that very thing to the wife of some Major. She seemed to object rather harshly to the suggestion that she was not of a pure Boston Pedigree.

That looks like a nice area. I may have to make a point of visiting there if/when I make another trip to the UK
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

Cold, Lanark.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time

This thread has prompted me to study the genealogy book that my dad's cousin put together about 30 years ago and my brother has researched since. It contained information that ancestors included the mother of Jakob Fugger, ship builders from Germany, a Cherokee on The Trail Of Tears, the second wife of Davy Crockett, a horse thief, and the right-hand man of Robert E. Lee, which has a town in Florida and a fort named for him. But I had never researched some of the ancestral names such as Ruby:

"This very interesting surname, recorded in Church Registers of England, Ireland, France and Germany under the variant spellings Rouby, Roubay, Ruby, Rubi, Rubee and Ro(e)by, has two primary sources, each with its own history and derivation. Firstly, Rubie may be of Old French origin, and a locational name from Roubaix in Nord, France, initially recorded as "de Roubaix" in the late 14th Century"

Read more: Surname Database: Ruby Last Name Origin

And Tweedy:

"This is a famous Scottish territorial surname, although well recorded in Ireland. Recorded in the spellings of Tweedie, Tweedy, Twiddy, and even Tweekie, the name derives from the lands of Tweedie in the parish of Stonehouse (Lanarkshire). Legend has it that the first of the name holders was the child of a water spirit residing in the River Tweed, which is a nice story but somewhat out of keeping with the public perception of the clan members. Throughout the Middle Ages and even into the 17th century, the tribe were renowned for being a savage race, much given to the inter-tribal warfare which raged in Scotland and the English Borders from the beginning of recorded history"

Read more: Surname Database: Tweedy Last Name Origin

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

Unfortunately I only have genealogical records down my Paternal Grandmother's side, as my Paternal Grandfather was the adopted illegitimate offspring of a brother & sister, of whom we have no record. My Grandmother started tracing her Family Tree back in the 70s, when "Roots" was running, and it was the fad of the time. However, when the series came to a close & the novelty wore off with everyone else, she carried on. After she passed away, my cousin took over the task. Another family member was also Benjamin Britten, which might explain the tendency towards Music, as well as the Autism / Aspergers, which is a genetic condition.

ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time

My ancestors were English, Irish, German, Dutch, Scots, Welsh, Hungarian and Indian, (2 tribes, Cherokee and another) Most of the info that I have is from the research done on my father's side. Of my mother's ancestors very little is known except that they were pioneers, farmers, horse lovers, excellent cooks and musicians. My mother's father or grandfather went to school with Jesse & Frank James and she had stories to tell about that family.
    On my dad's side there are a lot of court documents such as deeds & patents which are interesting to read because of the language of the day, newspaper articles, two of which tell differing accounts of the hanged horse thief. Those ancestors came to America on a ship out of Hanover, Germany. Some went to Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and on west. Some went out with Daniel Boone's 2nd party on the western trek. One of the women was on the Trail Of Tears. My mother told me my grandmother got a letter telling her if she went to Oklahoma she could prove up on the land grant. She didn't have any money to go so I say Oklahoma owes me!

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Posted by zap
    And Tweedy:

"This is a famous Scottish territorial surname, although well recorded in Ireland. Recorded in the spellings of Tweedie, Tweedy, Twiddy, and even Tweekie, the name derives from the lands of Tweedie in the parish of Stonehouse (Lanarkshire). Legend has it that the first of the name holders was the child of a water spirit residing in the River Tweed, which is a nice story but somewhat out of keeping with the public perception of the clan members. Throughout the Middle Ages and even into the 17th century, the tribe were renowned for being a savage race, much given to the inter-tribal warfare which raged in Scotland and the English Borders from the beginning of recorded history"

Read more: Surname Database: Tweedy Last Name Origin
    An area much fought over strathclyde british, picts, saxons viking and later normans (where the name ruby probably originates) The british were noted cavalry warriors as were the border reivers it has been suggested that the origins of the king arthur legend cones from stories about a cavalry warlord in that area holdingb out against all the various invaders that piled in after the fall of rome. if you wahnt to know why so many names appear in both ireland and scotland bear in mind the scots invaded from ireland in the first place but also if you look at the ulster plantation and where most of the scots that were settled came from it makes more sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_of_Ulster

Despite the fact that Scottish Presbyterians strongly supported the Williamites in the Williamite war in Ireland in the 1690s, they were excluded from power in the postwar settlement by the Anglican Protestant Ascendancy. During the 18th century, rising Scots resentment over religious, political and economic issues fueled their emigration to the American colonies, beginning in 1717 and continuing up to the 1770s. Scots-Irish from Ulster and Scotland, and British from the borders region comprised the most numerous group of immigrants from Great Britain and Ireland to the colonies in the years before the American Revolution. An estimated 150,000 left northern Ireland. They settled first mostly in Pennsylvania and western Virginia, from where they moved southwest into the backcountry of upland territories in the South, the Ozarks and the Appalachian Mountains.[59]
    Scots/irish have played a big role in the forming of america.

President george washington
    If all else fails, I will retreat up the valley of Virginia, plant my flag on the Blue Ridge, rally around the Scotch-Irish of that region and make my last stand for liberty amongst a people who will never submit to tyranny whilst there is a man left to draw a trigger.'

ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-23-2018
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Posted by zap

An area much fought over strathclyde british, picts, saxons viking and later normans (where the name ruby probably originates) The british were noted cavalry warriors as were the border reivers it has been suggested that the origins of the king arthur legend cones from stories about a cavalry warlord in that area holdingb out against all the various invaders that piled in after the fall of rome. if you wahnt to know why so many names appear in both ireland and scotland bear in mind the scots invaded from ireland in the first place but also if you look at the ulster plantation and where most of the scots that were settled came from it makes more sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_of_Ulster

Scots/irish have played a big role in the forming of america.

President george washington
    Thanks for that very enlightening information!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast