Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Genealogy stuff

  1. #21
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,267
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    03:02 PM
    Points
    28,372
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    Thanks for that very enlightening information!
    My pleasure, I find this kind of stuff endlessly fascinating it always amazes me how everythng is interconnected.

  2. #22
    ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,072
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    07:02 AM
    Points
    3,394
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    My pleasure, I find this kind of stuff endlessly fascinating it always amazes me how everythng is interconnected.
    Hey! What happened to the "mistletoe" and "Christmas tree" jazz that was in my e-mail notification? And the thanking my pagan ancestors? I guess I can thank them for my extremely combative/competitive nature in everything I do, also.

    If one goes a step farther and delves into past-life regression and you believe it, you can really be amazed. We should have a thread on that sort of thing, or do we already?

  3. #23
    ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,072
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    07:02 AM
    Points
    3,394
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    My pleasure, I find this kind of stuff endlessly fascinating it always amazes me how everythng is interconnected.

    I agree.

  4. #24
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,267
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    03:02 PM
    Points
    28,372
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    Hey! What happened to the "mistletoe" and "Christmas tree" jazz that was in my e-mail notification? And the thanking my pagan ancestors? I guess I can thank them for my extremely combative/competitive nature in everything I do, also.

    If one goes a step farther and delves into past-life regression and you believe it, you can really be amazed. We should have a thread on that sort of thing, or do we already?
    I edited and took it out as I decided it wasn't really relevant. The miseltoe and holly come from celtic/ north european tradition the decorating tne tree is a german tradition imported in to the UK both by the hanoverians and by british troops fighting in germany who brought the tradition back with them as well. Winter solstice british troops partying with german allies you can just imagine them all getting pissed together. Since you're german scots irish with bits from all over it seemed relevant and then I thought about it and decided no.

  5. #25
    ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,072
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    07:02 AM
    Points
    3,394
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I edited and took it out as I decided it wasn't really relevant. The miseltoe and holly come from celtic/ north european tradition the decorating tne tree is a german tradition imported in to the UK both by the hanoverians and by british troops fighting in germany who brought the tradition back with them as well. Winter solstice british troops partying with german allies you can just imagine them all getting pissed together. Since you're german scots irish with bits from all over it seemed relevant and then I thought about it and decided no.
    Thanks for the post. It's very interesting to me. I had to look up Hanoverians and found more fascinating bits to tuck away in my Trivia vault. My first ancestors who came to this country, that is if you believe that the Native Americans were here from Day One and don't count, were from Hanover.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,316
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    03:02 PM
    Points
    23,248
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    Thanks for the post. It's very interesting to me. I had to look up Hanoverians and found more fascinating bits to tuck away in my Trivia vault. My first ancestors who came to this country, that is if you believe that the Native Americans were here from Day One and don't count, were from Hanover.
    Ah, but is "Day One" twelve, twenty or thirty thousand years ago?

  7. #27
    ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,072
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    07:02 AM
    Points
    3,394
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Ah, but is "Day One" twelve, twenty or thirty thousand years ago?
    Or . . ."For millions of years all humans, early and modern alike, had to find their own food. They spent a large part of each day gathering plants and hunting or scavenging animals. By 164,000 years ago modern humans were collecting and cooking shellfish and by 90,000 years ago modern humans had begun making special fishing tools. Then, within just the past 12,000 years, our species, Homo sapiens, made the transition to producing food and changing our surroundings. Humans found they could control the growth and breeding of certain plants and animals. This discovery led to farming and herding animals, activities that transformed Earth’s natural landscapes—first locally, then globally. As humans invested more time in producing food, they settled down. Villages became towns, and towns became cities. With more food available, the human population began to increase dramatically. Our species had been so successful that it has inadvertently created a turning point in the history of life on Earth."

    Homo sapiens | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

    This talks about millions of years, 164,000 years, 90,000 years, 12,000 years.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,316
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    03:02 PM
    Points
    23,248
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    Or . . ."For millions of years all humans, early and modern alike, had to find their own food. They spent a large part of each day gathering plants and hunting or scavenging animals. By 164,000 years ago modern humans were collecting and cooking shellfish and by 90,000 years ago modern humans had begun making special fishing tools. Then, within just the past 12,000 years, our species, Homo sapiens, made the transition to producing food and changing our surroundings. Humans found they could control the growth and breeding of certain plants and animals. This discovery led to farming and herding animals, activities that transformed Earth’s natural landscapes—first locally, then globally. As humans invested more time in producing food, they settled down. Villages became towns, and towns became cities. With more food available, the human population began to increase dramatically. Our species had been so successful that it has inadvertently created a turning point in the history of life on Earth."

    Homo sapiens | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

    This talks about millions of years, 164,000 years, 90,000 years, 12,000 years.
    I was talking about your Native American ancestors - the "accepted" theory is that they came across the land bridge from Asia twelve thousand years ago at the end of the last ice age but recently sites have been found in southeastern USA and in Central and South America that are being dated to twenty or even thirty thousand years ago at the beginning of the last ice age - it's still controversial stuff, especially as some of the artefacts in southeastern USA relate to items found in the Iberian peninsula rather than from Asia.

  9. #29
    ZAP
    Currently Offline
    Supporting Member
    is a child of the universe
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,072
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    07:02 AM
    Points
    3,394
    Gifts Paintbrush Cocktail Gift Naughty Mag Banana Paintbrush Gift Cocktail

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I was talking about your Native American ancestors - the "accepted" theory is that they came across the land bridge from Asia twelve thousand years ago at the end of the last ice age but recently sites have been found in southeastern USA and in Central and South America that are being dated to twenty or even thirty thousand years ago at the beginning of the last ice age - it's still controversial stuff, especially as some of the artefacts in southeastern USA relate to items found in the Iberian peninsula rather than from Asia.
    Oh, I'm sorry, of course that's what you were referring to.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    is .
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,316
    Local Date
    09-24-2018
    Local Time
    03:02 PM
    Points
    23,248
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

    Re: Genealogy stuff

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAP View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry, of course that's what you were referring to.
    Oh alas and alack, I'm so tragically misunderstood - Cassandra was no worse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2