is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    02:50 AM

Re: newfies

Oh Clod! Hilarious!....... laughing so hard nearly choked on my tea..

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-27-2017
    Local Time
    05:50 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer

They are such lovely dogs.

Incidentally, Mum did train ours to shake on command. It didn't cover all eventualities but it did allow a large chunk of beach/sea/assorted debris to be shed before they got in the land rover or house or totally devastated the picnic (sometimes). Might be worth a try?
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    07-27-2017
    Local Time
    10:50 AM
    Gifts Beer

keep the newfie stories coming
    Ours was fiercely protective.
    We went down to the river one day, my young daughters, my neighbors daughter and I. We had our Newfie Jed with us, our little mutt, shadow, and the neighbors dog champ.
    We were all playing on the banks of the river, when Jed took off across the river barking like a fool.
    As he approached the far bank, just like magic a coyote arose from the far bank and started to bark right back at jed.
    Old Jed he just kept approaching the coyote, barking. Then he stopped in the water of the river and would not stop barking. We could not call him back he was standing his ground. Finally I told the girls to leash up the other 2 dogs and we had to head home, we could not risk more coyotes coming to bother us, I did not know what to do about Jed. Well as we backed away from the river, Jed moved towards us too, and it wasn't until the coyote ran off did our Jed come back to us. He was protecting us, standing between the coyote and us, and was not letting it get to us.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-27-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Yep, I can well believe it.

We don't have those sort of threats here which I'm guessing is why I don't remember either of ours behaving quite like that.

One of the reasons Daniel was a bit wild when younger, apart from being 5 months when we got him, was that at the time my Dad was a Housemaster in a Public School which meant we lived in the same big house as 50 boys, plus cooks cleaners etc (it also explains the nanny because in those days the Housemaster's wife was expected (unpaid) to run the domestic side of things and the School would pay for a nanny if the Housemaster's family had kids). The boys were 12-18 and played some fairly rough games with Daniel which Mum tried to discourage with little success. One result was that Daniel became a proficient Rugby Hooker, judging by his main game on the beach which was to find a large rock about the size of a rugby ball (about 1/4 bigger than an AFL ball) and hook it out between his back legs. He'd spend hours doing this (interspersed with cooling trips to the sea) and it gave his shakes a truly awesome sandstorm quality. With added slobber. It also rearranged the beach quite significantly.

Disko I remember less of. He arrived the same time I did and like all the Newfies I've heard of he died quite young (cancer). I was no more than 9 or so. He is part of one of my earliest memories though. When I was no more than about 3 Mum and Dad put me on his back and took a photo, which I now have. The reason I'm sure it's a true memory and not just remembering seeing the photo around the house is that I can remember Dad taking the photo, with Mum standing on his left side, in the garden in Devon.

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    07-27-2017
    Local Time
    10:50 AM
    Gifts Beer

awe the memories of these gentle giants.
    Dogs are great and every breed brings us something unique don't they.
    I miss having dogs, but do not miss the fur, the slobber, the yard work, the food bill etc. I like my freedom these days, and LOVE not having to pluck dog hair off my clothing every single day
    But.... I miss dogs lol.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

is yep.........Me too

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    07-28-2017
    Local Time
    02:50 AM

I remember being at the back of the property one day and the dogs were lying under a tree that they both knew full well i was trying to cut down. Bloody hippies!!!! When all of the sudden both got up really quickly and bolted though the fencebarking their heads off. When i looked up i saw them making a beline for a group of male prisoners doing community work at the football field next door. Of course that made me having to exert myself and run after them yelling "its okay! They wont hurt you!" They just want to play.......never thought those words would ever come out of my mouth toward a group of criminals. Some of them stiffened up watching something reminicent of bears pounding down on them....but one guy stepped forward and was ready to embrace them both, almost bowled him over. I think they made his day.
    I knew the prison guard looking after the men and i was soooo apologetic, but he looked just as startled as the prisoners lol. The dogs refused to come back to the house until they sniffed all of them. Kayla was eeady to sit and watch them work.
    A few weeks later i saw the prison guard and was still apologising to him . He told me not to worry about it ,apparently they spoke about it for days after and none of them felt embarrassed about being scared cause they all got a bit of a shock. Helped relieve the boredom.
    When they came back to do more works at the field i took the dogs over and a couple of comments and laughter about how large they were.(different group that had heard the story)

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    07-27-2017
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Funny isn't it? HUGE dogs but the general reaction we always had was not fear, it was all the kids wanting to hug them.

I get your point though, Minks. Any dog is a big commitment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3