Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Meg's Pub..... philosophers club.

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time
    10:30 AM

Meg's Pub..... philosophers club.

Come in and put your feet up.
    If its cold we have an array of Ports and scotches. The large leather club chairs at the open fire place with the pipe holders.

If its hot? We have the lovely beer garden with outdoor lounges and hammocks shaded with the best oriental styled awnings. Beer on tap at the 'shady bar'....pull up a stool, and have a bit of a think.....or a contemplation if you will?

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time

Re: Meg's Pub..... philosophers club.

I thought of this thread because ive been thinking lately ....where do people get their ideas for life choices from? Why do we have the legal systems that we do? Why do people believe in ancient myths and legends turned dieties? How come like some species we 'dont' kill off our parents when they become infirm? What ecactly is punishment and whats the sence in retribution, compensation and revenge?

Another words......"what's all that about?"

First topic of discussion.....John Stuart Mill...basically said...'the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant'....

Discuss. ...Whats your take on that assertion?

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    06:30 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Come in and put your feet up.
    If its cold we have an array of Ports and scotches. The large leather club chairs at the open fire place with the pipe holders.

If its hot? We have the lovely beer garden with outdoor lounges and hammocks shaded with the best oriental styled awnings. Beer on tap at the 'shady bar'....pull up a stool, and have a bit of a think.....or a contemplation if you will?
    I'd be happy to join ya. Draw me Stout and I'll be along directly
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time

Guiness?.....hang on no....aussie pub...holgate chocolate porter? Or a coopers extra?
    Or may i introducr you to a portergaff? Third stout,third lemonade third draught beer?

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time

Coopers, indeed.
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time

Id also like to marry that last philosophical argument up with Rousseau's "Social contract" ....where by we all live to a degree today, that the individual in return for protection gives up certain freedoms (not rights) to an authority in return protected from ie war starvation unemployment etc)
    That liberty and equality will basically be there for everyone.and this system protects the will of one person against another. But laws made collectively will not impinge on individual freedoms.
    Just wondering if this philosophy of governing still works?

Proudly humble

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Id also like to marry that last philosophical argument up with Rousseau's "Social contract" ....where by we all live to a degree today, that the individual in return for protection gives up certain freedoms (not rights) to an authority in return protected from ie war starvation unemployment etc)
    That liberty and equality will basically be there for everyone.and this system protects the will of one person against another. But laws made collectively will not impinge on individual freedoms.
    Just wondering if this philosophy of governing still works?
    When we join society, we naturally must surrender a certain amount of our perceived liberties, as we rightfully expect others to do. In exchange, we receive some protection in numbers and the cooperative efforts of the society provide a pool of necessities, as well.

The rule of the majority, though, can become oppressive at times for those of us who find ourselves constantly in the minority. At times a minority may find that those protections become another weapon of the majority for suppression. It can then become a choice of which hardships one wishes to face.

The twisted version of "Transaction Analysis" comes into play.
    "I'm OK, so you MUST be OK. ..., or ELSE!"
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time

Well see heres the thing...it seems that rights, liberty and freedoms are seperate things entirely but seem to be confused. Even by the 'collective' because the 'collective' is government who dpeals on behalf of the people,......the collective.
    Now its a measured philosophy that "freedoms" are sacrificed but not 'liberties' or "rights".

A quick definition search.... liberty- state of being free in society......a right or privilege
    Freedom- the power or rightto act speak as one wants.....the state of not being subject to or affected by ( something undisirable).....special privilege or right of access ie full citizenship.....openness in dpeech or behaviour.
    Rights- moral or legal entitlement to have or do something........anything that accords eith the pri.icples of legal moral justice.......the fact or state of being in acordance with reason, truth or accepted standards

I believe that all over the world since caveman days weve understood the safety in numbers part....but even historic humans knew "societies" didnt last too long if you made life hard for individuals. They would just leave the group...... so in what way do humans leave the group these days? Refugees? Off grid?

I wonder if rule of the majority even exists anymore?

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    01-20-2018
    Local Time

Half an hour of a 12 hour shift to go.....ill be certainly having a beer in around about .???? 45 minutes

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    11:30 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Register to remove this ad.
    Prevention of harm to one's self is a restriction of Civil Liberty.
    Prevention of harm to others is an entirely different matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast