This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    04:38 AM

Recovery!

Hi to all. Just got back here. How's everyone?

I've come for a while just to share how I am doing and how I feel right now. I feel free and positive because I'm in a recovery process and it feels amazing that I could live now without any drugs to take (just for your info, I had been addicted to drugs for 4 years and been in a real pain and stressed life). I got my family back and I couldn't ask for more (except for more years of being sober. haha). I thought my life would be ruined by my own mistake and would never come back to a normal and a happy one. I just want to tell everyone who's suffering from addiction that there's always hope to make a better change. I do still continue to search for ways to help me stay sober. Probably there a lot of you out there wondering if rehabs really work. The only advice that I can suggest is to try searching the net. Look at this treatment recovery rehab that I accidentally visited. In the end, we are the one who makes the decision. We just need courage and self-discipline to achieve it. And one more thing, we need a forum like this that supports and helps us cope with our issues and makes us feel less lonely whenever we are feel alone. So have a sober life everyone!

Supporting Member
    is Here, There, and Everywhere.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    08:38 AM
    Gifts Balloons Gift Car Balloons Car Heart Cake Cake

Re: Recovery!

Welcome back, Darryl! I'm so glad you life is going well. One day at a time, my friend.
    Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Banned
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Crazy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    12:38 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Cocktail Boxing Gloves Balloons Puppy Gift Car Cocktail

Welcome back.

Every day Is an achievement of which you should be proud of yourself. Self belief Is the power. Believe In yourself.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    04:38 AM

Thanks along-for-the-ride.
    You're right Oscar. Thanks.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:38 PM
    Gifts Gift Beer Balloons Beer Puppy Kitten

Question Re: Recovery!

I've heard that the best way to keep sober is to stay clear of anyone who is a substance abuser. Is that really true or just one of those things people like to say?

I was at the home of a friend, many years ago now, when his wife came out of the bedroom with a rubber cord round her arm and asked my friend (her husband) to follow her back into the bedroom to give her a hand. It turned out they were both on heroin. I guess it isn't easy to work the plunger and pull on the cord at the same time, eh? Having absolutely no experience with drugs (other than an occasionally tug on the noble weed) I was shocked. When they finished up I started looking for an excuse to make my exit. I guess they saw the horror in my eyes and tried to convince me that it was cool to shoot H and that they could stop anytime they wanted to - and “like wow, man(!)” I should give it a try too. I cut all contact with them and a few years later I saw (with my own eyes) how well they could "stop anytime they wanted" alright. They ended up zombies and I don't know what happened to their daughter who was playing on the floor the day it all happened. I might be just plain lucky, but I resisted some serious peer-pressure to shoot H, snort cocaine and drop LSD during the water shed period that drugs and long hair were a foregone conclusion. I did have long hair though, right up until John Lennon shaved his head. Golly! I gave the hairdresser a mild heart attack, I did!

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:38 PM
    Gifts Beer Cake

Quote Originally Posted by High Threshold View Post
    I've heard that the best way to keep sober is to stay clear of anyone who is a substance abuser. Is that really true or just one of those things people like to say?
    It's true enough. Anyone hwo has given up smoknig know how much more difficult it is to deny themselves a cig when everyone around them is puffing away.

Recycled Teenager
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:38 PM
    Gifts Heart Cocktail Kitten Gift Balloons Balloons Ban Hammer Gift

I started smoking when I was at college. All my friends there smoked, some like funnels ! I suppose I didn't want to be the odd man out, so that was the start of a beautiful love affair with the dreaded weed (cigarette not 'grass'). This lasted for just about 50 years !!!! During which time I did give up smoking for a couple of years, but found that I was spending a lot more money buying chocolate and sweet things than I ever did buying cigarettes. So I started smoking again - there weren't the health warnings in those days, except that it cut down on energetic pastimes, in that you would get more puffed out running than you used to do ! I enjoyed smoking, and I found it quite sociable over the years. However, I decided to stop, because I was coughing (smoker's cough) every morning when I woke up, and I could feel that I was out of breath a lot more than I ever used to be after going up and down stairs, or walking up hills.

I just decided to pack it in just over 4 years ago. I went 'cold turkey' as I decided that if I wore those horrible patches or chewed that dreadful gum, I would still have to make a huge effort to 'get off' those. They had nicotine in them and that is what actually gets you addicted to cigarettes. I thought it would be an unnecessary waste of money, so as I said, I went cold turkey and just stopped ! However, I did carry some cigarette tobacco, rizla papers and filter tips around with me. My philosophy was that if I had the makings always to hand, then I wouldn't be forever thinking "gawd I have no cigarettes" and feeling a desperate urge to go and buy some, which I knew would happen and would intefere with my resolve to not smoke. I went day to day, then after about a year I felt I could go out without taking my ciggy makings with me. I eventually had to throw away the tobacco because it went too dry ! There wasn't much so I didn't waste very much money ! I sat down and worked out how much money I had saved that first year, and it was gobsmacking !

After a couple of years I could quite happily mix with people who still smoked without the urge to start smoking again. Actually, if truth be known, I was fairly revolted by the smell of secod-hand smoke and was so glad that I wasn't the one causing such an anti-social atmosphere ! I'm not a 'holier than thou' person and so I don't nag at smokers to give up, although I have noticed that more and more of our associates and friends are, in fact, giving up. Some smoke those new 'e' cigarettes, but I always think that they are possibly a waste of money, but really if that is the way some people can give up smoking then they should be encouraged.

Because of my decades of smoking, I now have C.O.P.D. (Chronic, Obstructive, Pulmonary, Disease ) - it sounds frightful ! Maybe it is ! All I know is that I cannot walk very far, particularly up hills, stairs etc. because I get too out of breath.

How I wish I had resisted the temptation when I was at college, to start smoking ! How I wish that the youngsters of today would realise the awful risks they take by smoking, but as we all know, youngsters even if they do listen, or appear to listen, will still carry on with what they are doing.

Also, when I played in a band, I realised just how easy it would have been to become addicted to alcohol. Fortunately I drove myself to the gigs so I would have to be careful how much alcohol I drank. I'd start off with a port and brandy, to relax my throat, then have half pint shandies for the rest of the evening. It worked very well.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    06:38 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Glad you have been clean for so long.
    I had a thing for liquor and speed for a while, but have been sober for 35 years, now. A lot of that credit goes to my wife.
    Remember that it is not a destination, but a journey.
    "You don't need to know all the answers. Nobody is yet smart enough to even know all the questions."
    - Anonymous

This user has no status.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    02:38 PM
    Gifts Gift Beer Balloons Beer Puppy Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    I started smoking when I was at college ............
    Smoking? Oh no, not you! You've shattered that pedestal upon which I imagined you were perched!

Shall I assume mum and dad were smokers?

is just trying to keep her head

I am:
    Shy

Local Date
    05-23-2017
    Local Time
    08:38 AM
    Gifts Kitten Kitten Kitten Cake Gift Balloons Gift Car

Register to remove this ad.
    Sounds right. Place someone on a pedestal & when things don't go according to the fantasy, the person comes crashing down & you kick yourself for what you thought you saw. Another one bites the dust.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast