I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    07:36 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Snowed in

Looks like I won't be going anywhere for a couple of days.

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Heart Cake

Re: Snowed in

Hope you have lots of supplies.

We've ground to a halt too although I do realise we've not had as much snow as Scotland. Seemed to take everyone by surprise today as we were all preparing for the worst of it tomorrow.

I was prepared as I'd shunned the TV forecasters and was following South West Storm Chasers who did predict we may be affected a day earlier than had been thought.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

I'm right in the middle of that red bit you see on the maps. The roads here are so congested all it takes is one breakdown and the traffic to slow or stop the gtritters can't get through and the snow gets a chance to build up that's what happened on the M80. It's only a foot or so but it's drifting my car is all bit buried. Snoweing in london you'd think it was he end of the world.

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time

I think north Cornwall and Devon are headed into a red alert too now, we're just not used to it lol
    Street is like an ice rink out there at the moment, no cars moving at all. Not ventured out for a walk yet, youngest one point blank refusing to go out in it

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

I had a try, it's too slippery even in boots. I came back in.

The TV pictures from Scotland are a lot worse than what I've got.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Still coming down the biggest problem is the way it's drifting and the wind is getting up so it's almost a whiteout at times. The warnings tend to be too loud and too exaccerated so you tend to ignore them but maybe next time poeople will heed when it's a red one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a8235006.html

Nigel Farage has bravely pointed out that all this snow disproves global warming – that's the sort of down-to-earth reasoning our country needs

superstar
    is returning

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    12:36 PM
    Gifts Beer

I am giggling politely behind my hand.
    we currently have well over 60 cm on the ground, and right now its falling and they predict another 20-30 cm over the next 24 house... I know I know we are much more used to this.
    Be safe everyone, and check in on your elders to make sure they are ok. And if you are able, shovel the walks for those who can't.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

We used to get snow like this nowadays it's quite rare people freak out and it seems a lot didn't take the red warnings seriously and try to drive when maybe they shouldn't

Who says women can't drive?

https://stv.tv/news/east-central/140...ided-disaster/

Cardi Goddess!!
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time

How deep is it now GMC?

Thursday night it started to warm up a little round these parts, myself my daughter and her boyfriend were out in the street at 10pm. They built a huge snowman and had several snowball fights. It was just starting to rain lightly whilst we were out there and we came in at gone 11pm. It was surreal and beautiful out there, so still and quiet. By morning the majority of the snow was gone.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    06-24-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    I've been totally wiped out by the worst cold I've ever had for the last 5 days. Coughing, sneezing, aching bones, totally knackered by taking a kettle to the bird bath 3 times a day. Felt dreadful but at least it's a bit better today. It was worth it thawing the bird bath though - I've had Blackbirds coming looking for food and the crab apples still left on the tree were frozen solid so I threw out a couple of halved (normal) apples and that brought in a load of Fieldfare as well. Between them they half emptied the birdbath just for drinking water...

The last time I remember something like this is 1979 or maybe 1980? Around then, anyway. We had a similar late cold snap with snow and blizzards which conveniently blew the snow out of the fields and into the country lanes between them. My parents spoke then of a cold winter they remembered in 1947 (iirc) which was much the same except even colder because the local reservoir froze over enough to skate on which it never has since. It seems to be a rare but not unknown phenomenon, repeating every 40 years or so. Farage is a drooling cretin.

The thaw started here by 3 am and is still going.

My impression so far of this one is that the warnings have had some effect but that many people quite genuinely didn't realise how serious it would be through lack of experience of anything like it. I don't know if we can expect another cold snap here or how far north the thaw will reach in the near future. Also that Scotland has been getting it largely up the Firth of Forth straight from Scandinavia. Further south we've been getting it from more southerly directions - still cold, since the whole of Europe is affected, but not as bad. (Just watched the weather forecast - Scotland in the firing line for some time yet, warmer wetter weather pushing in from the south)

Chuckle. Saw that clip of the bus driver on the news. Very neat. A potential future star of the Bobsleigh team?

edit: all sorts of weird weather where the warm wet air hits the cold - freezing rain, black ice...we aren't out of this yet. Be careful, still.

another edit: Deepest snowfall: St Athan, S Wales, 55 cm!
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast