----

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    07:48 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Oaklahoma And Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post

Uh mostly because I don't know what you are talking about.
    Your civil rights are protected under laws promulgated by the state starting with the constitution and the power of the state comes from the people. When you have local authorities or institutions attacking your right to self determination you have resort to the state for protection. You can marry who you like this law means (at least it is my understanding of it) you have to get the permission of the clergy or a notary. What happens if the clergy or notary does not approve of the marriage? Be it a same sex one, different faiths or even a mixed race one. This isn't - it seems to me taking the state out of it it's allowing parochial authorities to intefere in matters that is none of their business and of which they don't approve of. You've already had cases where registrars have refused to carry out same sex marriage why is it OK for them to try and impose their beliefs on non believers but not for someone to stand for their right to marry who they will. Never mind same sex marriage if it was mixed race or mixed religion marriage would it be OK for them to be denied the right to marry. Anti-miscegenation laws have their origind in religious doctrine as well

All marriage is is a legal contract between two people that was introduced not for religious reasons but when property was involved it established ownership of said property and who was goimg to be the inheritors. That's why we also talk about bastards as being illegitimate - they were non people in law at one time not just in the eyes of the church they had no rights or claim to the fathers property come to that not so long ago te mother didn't either..

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Beer Cake

I must admit I don't quite get this either. How come Homosexuals getting married has nothing to do with Same-Sex Marriage. It seems to be everything to do with it to me. In fact, I thought that was the whole point of it. After all, why would a Straight man want to marry a Straight man?

This user has no status.

I am:
    Tired

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    02:48 PM

So much for "smaller government " and "limited government " which right-wing Americans are always demanding . Unbelievable .

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    09-25-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    right wing americans donl;t seem to have a problem with an interfering big government so long as they are the ones doing the interfering.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4