Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Manual cars

  1. #1
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,185
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:06 PM
    Points
    27,940
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Manual cars

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2awswE9bMl4

    Keep coming across videos like this. Just wondering are manual cars really so unusual in America nowadays? Over here it's mainly OAP's that buy automatics hence the term granny cars. Have to drive automatic lorries personally I dislike them intensely.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member
    is I am counting the cost of Christmas
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Snowfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darn Sarf. Hingland
    Posts
    4,798
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:06 PM
    Points
    197,752
    Gifts Mop Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer

    Re: Manual cars

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2awswE9bMl4

    Keep coming across videos like this. Just wondering are manual cars really so unusual in America nowadays? Over here it's mainly OAP's that buy automatics hence the term granny cars. Have to drive automatic lorries personally I dislike them intensely.
    Ive never come across the term "granny car" for automatics. While I personally prefer manual, Ive owned and driven autos for years. Its my wifes preference and to be honest in heavy traffic in cities, its a godsend. Theyr'e a bit juicier to run but good automatics ie those in cars with big engines, are wonderful to drive.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    is Copyright J.R.R. Tolkien.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    Smaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,599
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    05:06 PM
    Points
    6,416
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Certificate Car

    Re: Manual cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Ive never come across the term "granny car" for automatics. While I personally prefer manual, Ive owned and driven autos for years. Its my wifes preference and to be honest in heavy traffic in cities, its a godsend. Theyr'e a bit juicier to run but good automatics ie those in cars with big engines, are wonderful to drive.
    I prefer manual shifts anyday! Less expensive on juice, better hill-climbing, more control, especially in slippery conditions and greater performance. I've driven autos, but find them a touch boring, and "remote".
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

  4. #4
    I think, therefore I post
    is is back at school.
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    chonsigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    33,616
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    12:06 PM
    Points
    2,698
    Gifts Cake Certificate Balloons Paintbrush Kitten Cocktail Paintbrush

    Re: Manual cars

    94 Ford Ranger works great on snowy days here, needs to be a shift vehicle for that ice sometimes. Gosh, we all learned how to drive in one when teens.......

  5. #5
    Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,043
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    11:06 AM
    Points
    38,667
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

    Re: Manual cars

    When I first learned to drive it was in my parents cars, which were all Automatics. But summer came, and off to the grandparents' far.
    Grandpa has and old Ford Pick-up (about a 47, I think.) No turn the key, throw it in gear and off ya go with that beast. The steering wheel had about 3 inches of play in either direction, the starter was on the floor, and the gear shift was on the floor, and had almost as much play as the Steering wheel.

    Fortunately there were enough dents in the thing, nobody ever noticed my contributions, the town was small enough everybody could see me coming.
    By the end of summer, I had mastered driving that truck. I ran every errand to town, and even a few runs to Asheville.
    Now, I prefer a stick shift.
    A lot of young folks are intimidated by the things, though, and most driving schools only use Autos.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     
    FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,105
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:06 PM
    Points
    28,168
    Gifts Beer Cake

    Re: Manual cars

    I've always preferred Manuals, but that's what I took my lessons in. I can understand why some people prefer Automatics. It's the lazy way of driving & doesn't require any additional thinking when it comes to learning. When it comes to the actual driving, of course, a Manual doesn't require any additional thinking - it becomes second nature. However, I can well understand how having got used to an Automatic, and then upgrading your driving skills can be tougher still. It was the same with upgrading from my Jubbly, 50cc Twist 'n' Go Moped to a full Geared 125cc. I thought it was going to be a simple transition - it was not. However, if I hadn't got used to a Twist 'n' Go Automatic in the first place, starting off with a Manual would have been so much easier.

    I also used to work as a Trade Plater, which involved picking up vehicles & driving them to somewhere else. These were all types of vehicles - Manual, Automatic, New, or Used, and constantly switching from one to another is a really weird experience to get used to. The weirdest one of all I've had to drive has to be the Citroen 2CV. In all other cars, Manual or Automatic, we're used to the Gear Lever being down near your elbow, right? Not the 2CV. That has it coming out of the dashboard, in a sort of upwards 'L' shaped configuration. Then to change the gears you need to pull it back & forth & twist it, like you would a screwdriver, to achieve the standard 'H' type gear layout.

    Although I never had the dubious pleasure of having to drive a Left Hand Drive, that is something that has always given me cause for concern. Of course, anyone who learns in an LHD won't see any problems, and for them the opposite, the RHD might be true, but I am used to the gear stick being by my Left Hand. Even on the bike the Gear Pedal is on the left (although on Russian bikes, the Gear & the Brake pedals are the other way round, but that's by the by). I dread to think how I would be able to cope with that configuration being reversed - especially when the positions of the gears are the same, instead of mirrored.

  7. #7
    gmc
    Currently Offline
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,185
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:06 PM
    Points
    27,940
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

    Re: Manual cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    Ive never come across the term "granny car" for automatics. While I personally prefer manual, Ive owned and driven autos for years. Its my wifes preference and to be honest in heavy traffic in cities, its a godsend. Theyr'e a bit juicier to run but good automatics ie those in cars with big engines, are wonderful to drive.
    I suppose it depends where you live having lived "darn sarf" I get the point about heavy traffic and maybe six gears can seem one too many. I live in central scotland along one of the most congested roads in europe but in half an hour or so I can be zooming round country roads where an automatic gearbox would be a real pain with less control on corners etc etc. Sixth is a motorway gear imo that I hardly use away from the motorway.

  8. #8
    Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.
     
    I am:
    Cool
     
    LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,043
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    11:06 AM
    Points
    38,667
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

    Re: Manual cars

    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I've always preferred Manuals, but that's what I took my lessons in. I can understand why some people prefer Automatics. It's the lazy way of driving & doesn't require any additional thinking when it comes to learning. When it comes to the actual driving, of course, a Manual doesn't require any additional thinking - it becomes second nature. However, I can well understand how having got used to an Automatic, and then upgrading your driving skills can be tougher still. It was the same with upgrading from my Jubbly, 50cc Twist 'n' Go Moped to a full Geared 125cc. I thought it was going to be a simple transition - it was not. However, if I hadn't got used to a Twist 'n' Go Automatic in the first place, starting off with a Manual would have been so much easier.

    I also used to work as a Trade Plater, which involved picking up vehicles & driving them to somewhere else. These were all types of vehicles - Manual, Automatic, New, or Used, and constantly switching from one to another is a really weird experience to get used to. The weirdest one of all I've had to drive has to be the Citroen 2CV. In all other cars, Manual or Automatic, we're used to the Gear Lever being down near your elbow, right? Not the 2CV. That has it coming out of the dashboard, in a sort of upwards 'L' shaped configuration. Then to change the gears you need to pull it back & forth & twist it, like you would a screwdriver, to achieve the standard 'H' type gear layout.

    Although I never had the dubious pleasure of having to drive a Left Hand Drive, that is something that has always given me cause for concern. Of course, anyone who learns in an LHD won't see any problems, and for them the opposite, the RHD might be true, but I am used to the gear stick being by my Left Hand. Even on the bike the Gear Pedal is on the left (although on Russian bikes, the Gear & the Brake pedals are the other way round, but that's by the by). I dread to think how I would be able to cope with that configuration being reversed - especially when the positions of the gears are the same, instead of mirrored.
    My first trip to the UK, I rented a car upon arriving at Heathrow. It took a bit of time to adjust my mind to the RHD, and the gearshift in my left hand. Thank the gods that the pedals were in the same arrangement as I was used to. I am not sure I could have made that adjustment.
    I was most nervous, of course about being on the "wrong side" of the street.
    I made two circuits of the Ring Road, before I dared venture out into real traffic. I managed to adapt to the RHD quickly. The brain has remarkable abilities to adjust.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    ----
     
    FourPart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,105
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:06 PM
    Points
    28,168
    Gifts Beer Cake

    Re: Manual cars

    I'm still trying to get out of the habit of using the left hand lever on Marcus as the back brake (it's the clutch).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    I am:
    Happy
     
    Bruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent..... South East England
    Posts
    12,088
    Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:06 PM
    Points
    62,792
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

    Re: Manual cars

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I live in central scotland along one of the most congested roads in europe but in half an hour or so I can be zooming round country roads where an automatic gearbox would be a real pain with less control on corners etc etc.
    The M25 doesn't reach to Scotland does it ?
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2