Happy

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    06:01 PM
    Gifts Beer Beer FacePalm Ban Hammer Beer Beer Beer Beer

Re: Limits on Privacy

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Shooting an unarmed, escaping suspect in the back should never be OK. However, the former burglar suing his on time assailant for injuries he received during the commission of a crime is preposterous. The lawyer who has encouraged the action should be taken to the Bar
    If the man who shot and killed a trespasser is convicted of a crime, as unpleasant as it appears at first sight, anybody else injured in the commission of that crime should have the right to pursue compensation. Whether it reaches court or not is by the by, or whether the judgment awards thousands or a token amount is down to the law.

As it happens it all worked out fine HERE
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    The trouble here is that it's difficult to know whether those burglars were armed or not. Some of these scumbags are armed, mostly with knives, but how would Tony Martin have been able to tell? If one of those burglars had been carrying a firearm of some sort, shooting second is a poor substitute for shooting first! But I feel very torn here, TBH, as I disapprove of disproportional force being used in relation to the threat entailed (for obvious reasons; you wouldn't want to shoot a kid dead for scrumping apples from your tree at night, would you?)

As for Fearon's solicitors chasing compensation, they should indeed go before the bar!
    When they're running away from you you're unlikely to shoot second when you have a shotgun to your shoulder even if they are armed.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    11:01 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

The trouble here is that it's difficult to know whether those burglars were armed or not. Some of these scumbags are armed, mostly with knives, but how would Tony Martin have been able to tell? If one of those burglars had been carrying a firearm of some sort, shooting second is a poor substitute for shooting first! But I feel very torn here, TBH, as I disapprove of disproportional force being used in relation to the threat entailed (for obvious reasons; you wouldn't want to shoot a kid dead for scrumping apples from your tree at night, would you?)

As for Fearon's solicitors chasing compensation, they should indeed go before the bar!
    Well, they were fleeing. Chances are that were they armed, they were still not a threat. Were they even still on the man's property at the time?

Water under the bridge, though.

Back to privacy. It seems we (Civilized society) are going to have to define privacy in minute detail.

My thinking:
    If you are in a public place, you have forfeited your right to privacy. If you are in someone else's property, your privacy is subject to their own rights.
    These days there should be the assumption that your behavior in public may be recorded, and that record of your behavior can and will be used as evidence of any events that occur.
    I have a camera pointed at my front door. You have to have committed yourself to be in my property to be at my front door, and therefore your right to privacy is forfeit.
    If I were to point that camera at my next door neighbors' property, I would be violating their right to privacy.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

is Copyright J.R.R. Tolkien.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Certificate Car

Well, they were fleeing. Chances are that were they armed, they were still not a threat. Were they even still on the man's property at the time?

Back to privacy. It seems we (Civilized society) are going to have to define privacy in minute detail.

My thinking:
    If you are in a public place, you have forfeited your right to privacy. If you are in someone else's property, your privacy is subject to their own rights.
    These days there should be the assumption that your behavior in public may be recorded, and that record of your behavior can and will be used as evidence of any events that occur.
    I have a camera pointed at my front door. You have to have committed yourself to be in my property to be at my front door, and therefore your right to privacy is forfeit.
    If I were to point that camera at my next door neighbors' property, I would be violating their right to privacy.
    Anybody who is armed is a threat, or potential threat, IMO. Fleeing people may suddenly turn and fire/attack with a carried weapon. I believe the shooting took place on Tony Martin's property.

As regards privacy, I would agree with you on the various points you make. Seems logical to me.
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

is .

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Car Gift Naughty Mag Certificate Beer Beer

My thinking:
    The one difference to this in British law, as I understand it, is that if you have CCTV on your property you must have a notice to warn people (general, not telling them where it's pointing) at each entrance.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    11:01 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Anybody who is armed is a threat, or potential threat, IMO. Fleeing people may suddenly turn and fire/attack with a carried weapon. I believe the shooting took place on Tony Martin's property.

As regards privacy, I would agree with you on the various points you make. Seems logical to me.
    If I was an armed, fleeing criminal, I would be a lot more likely to shoot at a person from whom I am fleeing if they started shooting at me.
    Just sayin'
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

is Copyright J.R.R. Tolkien.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    06-20-2018
    Local Time
    05:01 PM
    Gifts Boxing Gloves Certificate Car

Register to remove this ad.
    If I was an armed, fleeing criminal, I would be a lot more likely to shoot at a person from whom I am fleeing if they started shooting at me.
    Just sayin'
    We all react differently, I guess. Not sure how I would react, so I can't answer that in all honesty. Ducking/dodging would certainly be quite high on the list!
    " To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2