I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    06:23 PM
    Gifts Kitten

Re: Are we being hijacked?

Yes, that's what Dawkins said. But we're not talking about genes here, we're talking about viruses or other organisms with genes. That's my point. Also, I wonder if Dawkins still agrees with himself on this.
    In his book The Selfish Gene, Dawkins coined the word meme (the behavioural equivalent of a gene) as a way to encourage readers to think about how Darwinian principles might be extended beyond the realm of genes.[82] It was intended as an extension of his "replicators" argument, but it took on a life of its own in the hands of other authors such as Daniel Dennett and Susan Blackmore. These popularisations then led to the emergence of memetics, a field from which Dawkins has distanced himself.[83]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...ering_the_meme
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    06:23 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

People get easily drawn into a "feedback loop" of sorts.

A feedback loop has become a tool of business and can be a good thing, when enough people are part of a well-defined system, but, when you limit the number of checkpoints and people involved, feedback become a danger to the organization and the organism. People need to have interaction with as many other people and as many other ideas as possible (My opinion here) but many of us get shut in with our own ideas and with little external input. When that happens, all sorts of problems can present themselves. They get a notion in their head, and they start thinking more about it, but often they never discuss it with their peers, except perhaps with other people that might have the same notion. soon the conversation just becomes a self feeding action, like feedback in a sound system.

These radicals found themselves in situations where they limited the input from outside, or were isolated by external forces, and became dangerous.
    Eventually they saw danger in the outside world and found no way of breaking out of their feedback loop until some rather violent action seemed to be the only release.

Maybe, the author is right. Treat it like an infection, but that means isolation to prevent spreading the infection. But, in this case, isolation may be part of the causal chain. Breaking that isolation, like opening a wound to get the infection out in the open may be a better step in the cure.
    The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.
    - Franklin D Roosevelt

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    01-19-2018
    Local Time
    03:23 PM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Register to remove this ad.
    I agree with you Lars. We can see the feedback loops in action every day. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to break the loops, of whatever type they may be. In parts of Texas and Oklahoma, the local news more closely resembles Fox News than unbiased news. It has been rather disturbing for me to see how that feedback loop amplifies out of control of reason. The whole realm of US politics has become so much divided into differing loops that shun contact with any other views.

I can easily imagine, in the Slender Man case, the teens discussing how their parents said it isn't true and one of them saying, "Of course they would say that. Have you seen how little time they spend on the net? They don't know the things we've seen." And so they don't discuss it with parents or others outside their group anymore. They only discuss it within the group or online, out of sight of parents or dissenters.

It applies to so many different areas. In this era, how do you break the loop? How do you get people to actually talk to someone that they identify only by some label?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4